View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 02:14 AM   #100
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Well Deathwing, you have completely missed the point of what KaVir was saying.  The reason it discourages individuals from contributing is not JUST because they are giving away rewards, it is because they (and everyone who supports them) is trying to twist the DIKU's intent behind releasing the code in the first place.

I wasn't going to post, because I felt everything was being said nicely already, until I came across your post Deathwing.  It makes me sick to know that there are many, many people out there like the Aardwolf Owner(s), yourself, and everyone else who is begging the others to shut up about the truth!  If this kind of behavior continues, it makes others not want to contribute because we know, that no matter how hard we try, there will always be someone out there trying to pervert and subvert our intentions.  No matter the DIKU team didn't want people to GET/MAKE money of any kind, no instead you guys just TRY to figure out a loophole around it.  People like that don't even try to make their own completely original code to make money on - they just use someone else's, and then break the rules for use claiming "no violation".  All the while sitting behind a human wall of zealots who defend for them saying "nothing can be done until the vanished DIKU team makes a claim against them".

Utterly sickening.  But, I guess when the dust settles, everyone out there on the other side of this legal fence will feel some sense of accomplishment for finding a loophole around what has been commonly stated.

And Fiendish - yes, you can claim "no meeting of the minds", but the Justice Dept has already ruled that that doesn't give the "end user" free legal right to continue to use the item/object/product.  I'll let you and Google find the rest.

And to all those people out there who wish to argue the legal stand point of "gross profit/net profit allows us to get around the agreement" ... better point your favorite browser to and take a look at the meaning of Non-Profit and Tax-Exempt.  As someone already said on this thread (that was completely ignored), just because you don't actually make any money from your venture, doesn't make you "non-profit".  The Feds only allow very specific types of business to be non-profit.  And by their qualifications, Aardwolf would never qualify as a Non-Proft venture.  And if you aren't considered "Non-Profit" by the Feds, then you are considered "For Profit" - no matter how good/bad your bottom line is.  And THAT IS AGAINST the letter of the agreement.

So you can try and twist the meaning of PROFIT around every way you want, but even under legal definitions, they are taking in money.  And even if their expenses = take in (which I doubt), they are still considered by the IRS as "making profit", just not doing a good job of running the business.