View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 10:36 AM   #19
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
"RP is entirly dependant on the people in the game."--RikeDeJeanVonLe

Agreed, but here's the problem. I'll use your example below as well.

"Quick example, I happened to walk into a town when another PC was taking out the citizens, and after chasing the char away, I started to act out a reconstruction scenario (fixing houses, mending wounds, funeral rites for the dead). After about a quarter of an hour, a small group of players (mostly youngins) happend by the town and were very curious about what was going on. I then spent another hour in the town before taking off with one of the other PCs (the one that spoke my IC language) and went to a nice tavern for some ale, where another scenario with a bard developed"--RikeDeJeanVonLe

Now, the RP of such a situation is indeed possible, but there are limits within a hack-and-slash that would ruin the RP of such a situation. Somebody kills the King of the Kingdom and fifteen minutes later, he reappears again like magic, standing in the same room as his corpse, only to be killed again. It becomes ludicrous to think that you can look at such a situation and not have difficulty maintaining a sense of realism.

Player 1: "Yeah, I and a group of four of my men arrived at the town to find all the citizens dead. The murderer was still there."
Player 2: "Did you capture him?"
Player 1: "No, he got away."
(After all, he was level 80 to each of our level 11s)
Player 2: "How many people did he kill?"
Player 1: "Over twenty people in the streets."

Now of course, it's not hard to just change the circumstances of the events to suit your RP, but let's go back to my original question, shall we? I personally don't expect anyone on a hack-and-slash MUD to RP. That's why they acquired the nickname of "hack-and-slash".

But I wasn't talking about hack-and-slash MUDs when I asked my original question. I asked why RP MUDs go through the trouble of creating a realistic world only to leave hack-and-slash style elements in.

"When the Pbase is RPing with your NPCs, then you have an atmosphere condusive to RP...."--RikeDeJeanVonLe

Very true, but let's say you're interacting with the NPCs and someone comes through and kills them while you are because they want to get to level 84 and the NPCs you were interacting with are easy kills with lots of exp.

Player 1 (to NPC citizen) says, "Lovely day, isn't it? So peaceful and serene."
Player 2 arrives.
Player 2 slashes at a citizen, ripping open her chest.
You hear a citizen's death cry.
A citizen is dead.
Player 2 leaves east.

"If you can't start up an RP session because you see some numbers, then it is a personal problem, and not the fault of the code."--RikeDeJeanVonLe

No, it's the fault of the coder. They're the one that went through the trouble of creating a nice world to interact in but left in unrealistic elements. It's like throwing a magnificent dinner, asking everyone to attend in tuxedos and evening gowns, renting a French chateau to hold it in, and then serving McDonalds food.

Take care and avoid the fast food,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote