View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Does "Fair" Mean?

See, I disagree with this statement completely. NOT everyone has time. If you have children, you MUST care for them unless you are some evil degenerate person. If you don't, you can get thrown in jail or have them taken away from you. That's really not a choice you can logically ask a decent human being to make. It's also often not about COMPETING. It's about progressing at a decent pace compared to your fellow gamers. Most "in-the-basement-tons-of-time" people tend to hang out together. They don't exactly welcome others who can't put in the time with open arms. That's really not a problem. People with the same gaming habits tend to game together.

In my opinion, what is "fair" is equal opportunity. As long as everyone in the game as the same METHODS of progression available to them, then you have the most fair system possible. Thus, I honestly believe almost all systems are "fair" unless the admin is just picking people out of the aether to reward or there's a really gray/shady system set up where the bonuses are not defined for your contributions. It's just up to the players to decide which MU* works best for how they want to progress. Ultimately, I think in this day and age, most players choose their game based on gameplay, not on the payment model, but to the people who choose based on payment model, that factor happens to be extremely important to them.

Time will probably ALWAYS be the most important resource in playing any game, but I don't think it's unfair for it to be the only resource. I think it's very "easy" to just decide time is the equalizing factor when it is often NOT. To call caring for your children and family a "choice" makes me very worried about what we accept as human beings.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote