Thread: Midkemia
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
dranor

dranor is on a distinguished road
Re: Midkemia

As much as I love reading, and as much as I love playing MUDs, I find it very difficult to wrap my head around playing MUDs that draw deeply from a literary source.

Most well-written books are so excellent because of the characters. Some characters are good, some characters are bad, some are weak, some are strong. But I read the books because of the compelling characters. If I were to play a MUD that's heavily derived from some of my favorite books, I'd want to -be- those characters.

How do you create a successful, well-populated MUD where most people will realistically want to be the awesome characters. I want to be Ned Stark, but not everyone can be Ned Stark. I want to romp through history as Belgarath, but realistically, we can't all be Belgarath.

Sorry to take this thread a bit off track, but for those of you who'd like to see MUDs based on your favorite books, how would you make a game that's centered around the players (as all games must be), but allows you to capitalize on the rich and compelling character development that's coming from those books?
dranor is offline   Reply With Quote