View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Games that already have everyone they want

I think a lot of the time, new players just show up at the wrong time. For me, the wrong time would be:
1. Any time someone shows up having no indication at all, that they've made any attempt to read the docs. I am not their game manual, and I'm not about to let anyone treat me like one. If someone shows up expecting me to tell them how to SIT or type NORTH to go to a room in the north..then I'll just RP around their existence.
1a. If they show up and DO know the syntax, but ignore the environment, I'll RP around their existence. By "ignore" I don't mean "are having trouble keeping up." I mean intentionally ignoring the fact that it's an RPI. Such as the new player who does this:

The new guy enters from the west.
The new guy says, in english, 'heh were do i get exp"
The new guy looks at you.
The new guy attacks you!

Obviously, he isn't looking to play the game he's in, and I don't need to waste my time convincing him otherwise.

2. By bad timing, I might also mean - the group that he's walked in on, is in the middle of something "significant" and some new person showing up needing OOC guidance is going to just mess up a scene that might've already been going on for 2 hours and we're trying to wind things up. Like maybe - the head of the city archer's society has just captured an evil witch, and the king's captain is in the middle of interrogating him, while the witch's three recent victims are in the process of being healed by the city healer, who is on the verge of collapse due to exhaustion. This is really NOT the best time for Joe Newguy to show up looking for a job interview.

It's unfortunate, but really, timing actually means something when you're dealing with text. You can't have conversations AND churn out emotes, as quickly as you can act them out in real life. So when you're in a group, each of whom has different real-life time constraints, or even different time zones, the scene will sometimes have to take priority and interferences to the scene will just have to wait - or be ignored.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote