View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #37
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: RPEI, The New RP Standard

So is it a club of that three muds started? If not, then what are the requirements of an RPI? Three different games share the same designation. Then what are the characteristics that these 3 different game share that designated them an RPI? They obviously aren't three copies of the SAME game. Thus, what is it that put them together? Some arbitrary RP line? Our RP is leet enough so we're all RPIs? If not, then they had a specific set of characteristics that they share that make them RPI. Is it codebase? You say no. Then what is it?

You're assuming that it's your preferences that we're discussing. It's the preferences of the people who created RPI as a term and then determine who is an RPI and who is not. See, that's what I think as well. We're simply asking for a list of characteristics. If you KNOW what an RPI is, surely it can be defined with specific terms rather than the RPI. What I think you don't understand is giving inconclusive answers is what's allowing this debate to exist.

I don't honestly care if RPI people WANT to be elitist or not. I only point out that some of the statements made by RPI players give them an extremely elitist image. Frankly, your intent does not really matter when it comes to creating a reputation. If you're going to say, "Well, to define an RPI, you need to look at these three games." then you guys just formed a club, not a standard.

Quite easy to do when even avid RPI players can't seem to list what those standards are. They spend their time telling everyone that they're NOT an RPI. What makes something an RPI? It's fine to flat out admit that "RPI people get to chose who is an RPI". Please do not take this an insult, but I don't think games, lots of successful games, care if they get an RPI or an RPO or an RPX or an RPSLSQKESFKLSEJFSKLFJL@$#$# designation from some random group of people who think they are the RPI control team. I honestly don't care if people want to call themselves a MUX or a MOO or a MUGDOO. Players are going to play what they want to play. Another big reason this debate exists is because of the exclusionary nature of RPIers. "YOU are not an RPI. YOU are not an RPI. Okay, you're an RPI."

No one is really asking you to lump, de-lump, or create some sort of RP* list. Most of us are simply asking, "What characteristics, in precise language, what an RPI is." It just seems impossible to get this point across.

I don't think so. This isn't really about personalizing anything. What we're trying to find ARE the facts, not a series of personal opinions and vague references to what an RPI is. Delerak, honestly, is the first to attempt to produce a series of requirements that define an RPI.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote