View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
incognito9

incognito9 is on a distinguished road
Re: When do you stop reading?

I'll read quite a lot if it's a good story. If it holds my interest. I'm not the only idiot who read 11 books of the wheel of time saga before the author died. And don't even get started about the george r r martin books. That's completely different. really it is.

But when I'm looking for a Mud to play, the background had better be a narrative. Or at least, reading about the background of the mud should be like reading a decent story. I'm not looking to read the D&D player's handbook... I want to read the prologue to a larger tale.

The ammount of text won't push me away as long as the tag line is good. That is, the first sentence or so, or the section heading, needs to interest me. Otherwise I'll gloss over it, or more likely, go back to google or tmc and search some more. When I roleplay, I want to tell a story. I don't want to start from scratch. I want to have a good background to start with.

I'm not sure what you mean there. I want a taste of what there is to explore and learn... but I don't want to start our playing amud from an omnicient point of view. I would like an idea of what's possible without learning all the secrets.

A little of both, I think. I guess I want to create a starter, or 'scratch' character to try out the world and then, if I like it, create a real character or flesh out the starter one.

I guess if it starts to sound like either too much work (you have to create a detailed background for your first character who will almost certainly die a permadeath in the first two hours youplay) or too boring. First and foremost, I want an interesting story.
incognito9 is offline   Reply With Quote