View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
So what happens if one of the two married partners is infertile? Does the game provide for that possibility? And what if the wife has been having an affair with a fertile male for the past several years? Does the code provide for that possibility too?

Also, why would everyone in your game want to watch your character go through labor and give birth? That seems to me a rather bizarre experience for people who aren't extremely close to her, to want to witness. I mean, it isn't like you get people going to the local hospital in real life just so they can sit in the birthing room of random pregnant women to watch them have their babies. Even if it was a home birth, would you open your door to let the neighbors come in to watch? Do you set out punch and cookies for this or something?

I can understand wanting the immediate family (spouse and possibly mother, with the remote possibility of interested siblings-to-be) coming to witness it. But I mean - this is REALLY messy stuff we're talking about here. You realize that in some situations, the woman loses control of her bowels during the "pushing" phase, right? And the placenta is particularly unattractive, and labor can take anywhere between 5 minutes and 40 HOURS...and if your game doesn't have modern technology and sterile hospital conditions, the possibility of still-birth and the mother's death are pretty high.

Does your game have formula, or wet-nurses, or is the new mother expected to keep her kid at the breast for the first year? Does that hinder or help roleplay; is your character expected to keep her lactating breast hidden from the public, or is exposure acceptable? Does your character have plenty of clothing changes, so that the milk-drenched clothing doesn't sour between feedings (since I'm assuming your game doesn't provide nipple-pads to protect the garments from leakage)?

That's what I mean by realistic motherhood in games. If ANY of this stuff is taken into consideration, I'd think your game is a step up from most. If none of it is taken into consideration, then it sounds to me like this whole baby thing is a 10-year-old girl's fantasy ideal of being a mommy, complete with her own plastic dolly she names Princess who wets herself with plain water whenever mommy shakes her or turns her upside down.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote