View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
Re: The idea that MUDs are in trouble because they need to target dedicated gamers who are willing to pay $20 for the likes of Everquest.

I believe that a large number of MUDs can easily target as an audience the kind of gamer who tried MMORPGs and even played one seriously for a while, but gave up on them due to some digruntlement. Depending on what the specific issue of disgruntlement was, different MUDs would fill that void.

For example, there isn't such a thing as a MMORPG where the RP level isn't in the toilet. A RP-required MUD can steal some audience there among players who are looking for RP. ####, even a RP optional MUD probably can do the same thing there. There hasn't yet been (my opinion) a fantasy MMORPG where the PvP side of the game didn't absolutely suck. A solid PK MUD can possibly pick up audience there among people who look to be on top of a game by skill and competition rather than super-catassing.

You get the idea.

MUDs can appeal to some subset of players of other games by working other angles. I'm too tired at the moment to elaborate, but the possibilities are there.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote