View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #25
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
One thing to remember when justifying text is that the text between two words should at no point equal or surpass the size of the leading space between lines of text. If your leading space is small, then this could be difficult to achieve without making your lines too long.

I can't remember where I got this, but a good rule of thumb is an 'i' width for the space between words, .25 'i' widths for the space between characters, 1.25 'i' widths for the leading space between lines. But when in doubt, it is generally better to make the first two spaces more compact than to absolutely or relatively shrink the leading spaces.

When using unjustified text, probably around 60 characters per line of text is ideal, assuming the user has some control over the verticle size of their telnet console. When using justified text, closer to 70 may be better. But honestly, since research suggests justified text does not enhance readablity by any significant amount, I'm not convinced that justification is worth bothering with.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote