View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 AM   #308
Hadoryu

Hadoryu is on a distinguished road
This discussion really outlived it's usefullness with the same arguments being repeated over and over and not a single new point being made. I think we've gotten to the point where everyone considers their arguments to be self-evident, when they aren't to the opposing side.

I'll bow out and state my opinion as I do:
Donathin, the color-coding scheme is going to be a liability in it's implementation. That's what I think at least. A good deal of the people here hold the opinion that pay-for-perks equals pay-for-play, labeling IRE games as such however would be wildly inaccurate and a great disservice to both the IRE MUDs, their community and potential players. The suggestion is to bring more clarity to the TMS listing, but I have sever doubts that this is what will be achieved if it's implemented. I tend to think it might bring further ambiguity.
Also, asking for the opinions of people who are not associated with IRE games in any way, you're going to get skewed results - everybody but IRE has something to win if IRE is represented as a game that requires payment. Keep in mind that the population of the forums are mostly owners/players of competing MUDs.

My experience in Aetolia (which Valg requested earlier in the thread) has been such:
1) I've been playing for free for 2 years or so.
2) I've gained a decent array of skills through buying credits from other players with in-game gold.
3) I'm not a top fighter, but I've been in a secretary position in my guild and have had a pleasurable time playing.
I didn't have to skirt the rules to get any of these.

I'm too busy to spend more time on this discussion, so I'm just going to make a call to at least mantain civility throughout it and to at least read each other's comments before replying.

P.S. Jason, you may have had something worthwhile to say, but you completely discredited yourself by presenting it in a frighteningly immature manner. My advice to you is that you work on your attitude if you ever want to successfully lead any significant project - such as a MUD. Take it or leave it.
Hadoryu is offline   Reply With Quote