View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 06:36 AM   #2
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
I'd highly recommend Armageddon. Its an RPI mud with a harsh desert theme where metal is extremely rare, magick is feared and despised and the standard is very good. The vast majority of people that play there are nice and I've never seen a newbie been jumped on over anything - the most common reaction I've seen is an OOC direction the help files or to a list of helpers who can answer the questions.

I'd definitely advise you to have a browse through the extensive and informative help files before submitting a character. You're not expected to have much knowledge of the gameworld when you first log in of course. A good idea is to try and get a job with one of the clans in the game e.g. the noble houses, merchant houses or a mercenary outfit (T'Zai Byn). Joining up with a clan will provide you with instant interaction and help in getting accustomed to the gameworld.

The staff and players are always welcoming to a smart player who wants to become part of the Armageddon story. The staff on Armageddon are the best I've ever dealt with. Professional, polite and helpful would be a quick summation. Being an RPI of course not every player is going to be friendly to your character. Some races, such as elves, are not liked much by humans and you might find yourself being ignored by humans if you play one. Also, some players will be playing nasty characters who mightn't wish your character well but OOC'ly the players are a decent lot.

Armgeddon is definitely RPI and players take it seriously. I've never seen a problem with somebody having to ask a quick question OOC'ly but admittedly the OOC method of communication is used quite sparingly on Arm and the players do like to keep it that way. There's a general discussion board where you can also post any questions you might have as well as a list of helpers who can provide you with quick answers through IM.

The gameworld is both detailed and large and completely original with lots of places to discover. The descriptions are well written and there's lots of little nuances to the areas.

Armageddon is level-less but does have classes such as ranger, warrior, burglar, assassin, etc. Each particular class has its own sets of skills which are raised through practicing them. In addition you can choose a subclass such as hunter, acrobat, linguist, stoneworker, etc. which'll give you additional skills for your character. However, skills are only one part of your character and don't decide how your character is going to live their life.

There's usually people around to RP with even in the off-peak hours. Peak times would have about 60-70 players. There are IMM driven plots that are constantly developing the storyline of Arm sometimes culminating in massive world events such as a war between the two city states. There are numerous player driven plots as well ranging from the mundane up to inter-house politics.

You can own your own house on Arm if you want or you can rent one. It is possible to get one built as well but you would want to have an established character before the Imms would go to the trouble of putting one together. Indeed, if your character is established there's no limit nearly to what they can get done e.g. setting up their own merchant house or mercenery or criminal group to gathering togther your own army to lay siege to a city. Of course these things aren't just handed to you - you'll be made to work hard for your success just like you would in RL.

You certainly don't have to be a figher or kill innocent woodland creatures to have a "successful" character. Having a successful character on Arm is about being true to your character. You can go the route of the hardened warrior if thats what you want to do. Or you can be a hunter type and  kill creatures because thats how you make a living - you kill them, skin them and sell the hides or make something from them if you have the skill. Or you can just decide that your character is a good for nothing drunk who is only interested in the next mug of ale. You can be a spy, a merchant, a crafter (there is a large, skill-based system), an entertainer, a criminal or a mixture of all of the above. Its up to you how you play it.

Just some additional notes about Arm. It is a permadeath system so if your character gets killed then they are finished and you have to submit a new one. This isn't to everyone's taste but, personally, I enjoy it. I think it forces you to play realistically with your character and also allows you to experience lots of different types of characters. Also, there is a magick system on Arm but is only open to players once they prove themselves to the Imms to be trustworthy to handle the roles as they are more difficult to play correctly. Similarly, there are certain races which are only open to players once they have earned this trust.

So if you're interested check out here for more: Its completely free to play and has the best RP I've found on a mud.
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote