View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #31
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: MUD Players' Bill of Rights

I don't think you can simplify it even that far across a diverse range of MUDs. For example, on many muds, it would be completely unacceptable for an immortal to randomly go around executing people because he or she were having a bad day. Most players would agree that should be in any "bill of rights".

Then what happens when you get to a MUD where a large part of that MUD's theme is that you may anger the "gods" (who may be human controlled behind the curtain) or you may please the gods to gain rewards? In the context of this MUD, earning the favor of the gods is a good thing and "favoritism" is a planned part of the game, maybe even a good thing.

On most MUDs, running into trouble with a "god" because you killed their mortal character would be a bad thing. On this mud it may be nothing more than part of the game - part of the way to earn favor with a god is by pleasing their mortal incarnation. Whether this would be a popular MUD or not I don't know, I personally wouldn't play it, but to imply they are somehow wrong by doing exactly what their theme dictates because it does not meet a "customary law in the MUD community" just doesn't feel right.

The real issue most people have is with MUDs that say/imply "we won't do X" and then go and do "X" often. So unless that customary law comes with a courtroom, judge and jury what will it achieve?

The player base is already judge and jury - maybe I'm being naive here but are there really many MUDs run so tyranically that this would be necessary?

I would imagine either things are not as bad on those particular MUDs as some might have you believe, or they are already seeing the consequences (judgment) as the player base walks?
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote