View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
Khadgar

Khadgar is on a distinguished road
Thanks to those who responded to my last posting.  However, I have two other issues I have been pondering.  

1) What are your thoughts on profanity filters? Should profanity be banned or restricted on a MUD? Should profanity be replaced with asterisks? Should it be limited to one channel?

I think people should have the right to express themselves. However, other people should have the option of filtering what they hear. Thus, I am concidering implement a "V-CHIP" for MUDs. The feature would be much like autodraw for weapons.. perhaps called autofilter.  If the autofilter option is enabled, players would see asterisks in place of profanity and other undesirable words. The autofilter option could even be implemented where the player could choose additional words to filter apart from a common list. Would anybody happen to have a list of undeseriable terminology to start from?  I believe rules are going to have to be put in place regardless of whether/where profanity is legalized.  For instance, people could use an asterisk in place of one character or seperate characters by spaces. Of course, there are other languages people could use as well. Perhaps foreign languages would be "frowned upon" unless of course it is a language the mud implements.

2) This issue is a little more important than a profanity filter. How do people implement the "copyover" procedure? Players stay connected to the mud while modifications are made to the code? I do not understand this because it would need to be recompiled. Could somebody please explain this process or guide me to a reference i could use?  

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me regarding these issues.

- Khadgar
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote