View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
MikeRozak

MikeRozak is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you think happened to LPmuds?

Interesting discussion, particularly since my world construction toolkit is based around LPMUD ideology (lots of scripting for customizability), instead of DikuMud (fill in fields). I chose the LPMUD ideology because it can lead to more variety in worlds.

Looking through your list of issues with LPMUDs, my decisions so far have some hits and some misses. I'd appreciate any comments:

- Unix/linux vs. Windows - Shadowfyr mentions a need for Windows, which I support. I DON'T support *nix, however, my server might well run on Wine (haven't tried). (Last year some players ran my client on Wine and it almost worked.) I know that Linux servers are cheaper than Windows. How many find no Linux support a problem?

- Database - built in.

- Simple example world - What kind of example world is desirable? Very small? A large one?

- Difficulting of teaching new people - This is a problem for my system as well as LPMUD. I've tried to make it easier by including an IDE, but scripting is difficult for many people. (Generic objects can be added without scripting, and become more of a "fill in the field" exercise, but not as easy as Diku.)

- Licensing - My planned licensing is free server, free (Windows) client, EXCEPT that some advanced features in the client (like voice chat, better text-to-speech voices, and better graphics) require a one-time fee of $20. Any thoughts?

- Modify script when MUD running - I could implement this, but haven't, mainly because it seems to me that changes to the script are always in several places, creating for messy/buggy real-time integration into currently-running code. Thoughts?

- One comment about max 200 players at once - I'm not sure how many players I can max out at with my server. One issue is that my core scripting library is fairly complex and tries to take many MUD features (such as parsing, AI, etc.) and go one step further.

- What other problems (mentioned or not mentioned) with LPMUD have I missed?
MikeRozak is offline   Reply With Quote