View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Avoiding mistakes in char gen/early game

That's exactly why not. I don't like the idea of players being permanently penalised for making poor or uninformed decisions.

I disagree. This is the "helpful tip" I offer during character creation:

If this is your first visit, we strongly recommended that you choose one of the above two options, as they have been carefully optimised. You can redesign all aspects of your character (except name) whenever you like, so don't worry about any long term impact - your initial setup is just to help you get started.

The more effort it requires to learn, the greater the number of mistakes the players will make. As I said in my earlier post, "...the more decisions you can make, the more likely you are to make a bad one, and players will make mistakes. Furthermore, particularly for games that are still in heavy development, the relative strength of different abilities will be in a state of flux. It's bad enough forcing players to restart because they made a mistake, but forcing a top player to restart because his carefully optimised character has just been nerfed is really unfair."
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote