View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for builders, or building tips

I did want everything to be a room ideally. But I'm no longer sure that that's possible. So I might look into alternative approaches.

Dynamic descriptions - I might have a day / night cycle and have the room descriptions reflect that, but I think that'd be as far as I'll go.

As to players, I'll admit I haven't given it a whole lot of thought. (I realize I've come awfully unprepared for this, but at the same time, I'm not here to try and make the best MUD ever, only to have fun.) I guess I can't expect all that many. What I'd like to do is expand the world as/if the player base grows - I'd love to make the game interesting enough that it would generate a few regulars, but I don't know that I'll be able to hold player's attention. I guess I'll find out!

For distances, I've been having trouble with that. The player begins their journey in a collapsed mine. Upon escape they come to a road. How many rooms should I make them travel before they reach the first settlement? I want there to be enough that it's realistic and gives me space in the future, but I don't want to be forever writing and I don't want them to have to walk for many many rooms to get anywhere. I didn't want scripted travel too much - I'd want treks through the wasteland to be different each time. (And probably involve combat or some sort of interaction.)

As to exploration/bashing/RP ratio, I'm shooting for something like 2:1:2. Combat grinding, for me, has never been all that enjoyable, but I'm a huge fan of exploration and roleplaying. However, if I can't make it interesting enough, I'll see about adding in more mobs.
CaptainLepidus is offline   Reply With Quote