View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Re: forum RP + mud RP game

Definitely worth investigating, and if you do it well who knows what you can do with it . That said, my experience is that it's a tough call to replicate the versatility of forums in a MU*, although that probably depends on the flexibility of your MU*. And, it's definitely an appeal to the roleplaying end of the spectrum, ie one type of mud player.

We get a lot of crossover from various wheel of time roleplaying forums to the wheel of time mud, but whilst some folk do get into the MUD, it's a bit of a stretch, because in our you have to actually prove yourself using in-game quests and achievements to be worthy of certain roleplaying positions (for examples fades have to be good pkillers), whereas in the roleplaying forums I see it's often a case of signing up on the dotted line and then pretending to be whoever you want to pretend to be. Some of the forum roleplayers get a bit ****y about that whole idea of having to be competent rather than just signing on the line .

But, in terms of community, some of those roleplaying forums are huge, and my (profoundly unscientific) guess would be that there are many more people roleplaying on wheel of time forums than on wheel of time MU*s. Not too surprising - for your average Net user forums are much more familiar territory and don't seem so old-hat. Though, roleplaying forums, certainly within the wheel of time sphere, come and go like crazy, there's a new one almost every month, I guess this maybe reflects the ease of setting these up?
nass is offline   Reply With Quote