View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #9
Loremaster

Loremaster is on a distinguished road
To be honest, the idea of throwing over-ripe tomatoes and/or rotten eggs at others did sound silly to me.  I don't have a desire to go back *that* far to my childhood where TP'ing someone's yard, graffiti, and other acts of random vandalism were considered 'fun' by some kids.

Rather than appeal to what I would consider a childish hooliganism, perhaps a focus on occupations/roles that we may have had as children could work for you.  Instead of the 'ever throw a rotten tomato' approach for alchemists you could consider an appeal to "all you who had a chemistry set as a kid'.  Remember the fun of measuring and mixing various elements to elicit a reaction? The joys and pains of experimentation? Remember how you wished you could get your hands on some reagents and other materials that would allow you to make something REALLY cool?  

Alchemists begin with the basics of transmuting the properties of base metals; in their ever-elusive search for the process of turning common metal into valuable gold, our Alchemist's guild has learned much about the properties of various metals and the means of enhancing them.  This allows them to improve the quality/longevity of metal weapons and armor, increase damage of metal weapons, protective value of armor and more.

For the more aggressive, combat oriented applications, imagine the ability to create gunpowder which can be used with readily available materials for the production of crude (or sophisticated depending on you mud tech level) grenades.  Discover the use of small amounts of this substance to trap containers or possibly even blow the door off that vault you want access to.  Keeping in mind the quality of the materials and the skill of the alchemist, as well as some other possible factors, will dictate the level of success or failure.  Black powder be DANGEROUS!  You many end up with a 'dud', or watch your powder fizzle uselessly, or have it blow up in your face because of improper handling.

etc. etc.   Sorry. I really like the idea of alchemists, so when I get the chance, i will log into your mud to see what you came up with.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote