View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Avalikia

Home MUD: Hidden Nirvana
Home MUD: Meadows MUCK
Home MUD: The Prideland Chronicles
Avalikia is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you enjoy about RP?

Well, given that I'm only found on MUCKs anymore, this question should be a piece of cake, right? I agree with all of the points mentioned thus far, plus:

- I am truly terrible at any computer-managed combat system. (Not just in MUDs, but also in any computer or video game - I FAIL!) And since it's just not fun to die over and over again, without RP I wouldn't have much of a reason to be on anything remotely like a MUD would I?

- Since my entire focus is on the RP and I'm surrounded by many others whose entire focus is on the RP, we've all gotten to be very good writers. And in that kind of environment you're naturally inclined to want to get better at writing because there's always someone doing it better than you that you'd really like to be more like. Writing is a skill that easily translates into many other activities - I think that I've gotten A's in college English classes thanks to my many years of RP. (Your results may vary.) So I can at least partway claim that it all hasn't been a massive waste of time.

- My characters come in all shapes and sizes with a wide variety of personalities and each of them does something different for me when I RP with them. The angry ones allow me to vent. The brave ones allow me to be strong. The old ones allow me to be wise, while the young ones allow me to be playful and innocent. In short, in RP I'm able to express myself in a wide variety of ways - many of them in ways that I wouldn't be able to express in the real world because I'm too nice of a person to be that mean, too nervous of a person to be that bold, etc. RP allows me to be all of those in a safe place where I know that the other players will be okay with whatever it is that my characters are doing.

- Have you ever read a book (or watched a movie or played a video game with a real plot) and thought that what the main character did was stupid or wondered what would have happened if they'd done something else? That's what makes RP better than all that less-interactive and customizable stuff. Even choose-your-own-adventure stuff has nothing on RP.
Avalikia is offline   Reply With Quote