View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 10:15 AM   #42
Sapphar

Places to use color as a builder:
* Room names - I tend to make mountain rooms a dark yellow/brown.  Fields green.  Forests green.  I never color the full room description.  Many players, after having been through an area once, won't read the description again, so why draw attention to it each time.
* Very specific, special objects: one color, with a damn good reason
* Emotes by objects or mobs:  Sometimes when you have a series of emotes that can result from actions, it is useful to have the emotes colored light and dark gray, so that it doesn't get too repetative.  Example, I have a boulder in one area that you have to push about 20ish times (it's random) to get it out of the way of the path.  There are a variety of messages, from scraping sounds to revealing the beginnings of a path.  The messages are two different colors for the sake of keeping it from being endless screen spam.

Channel colors: I actually hate seeing bright colors in global channels, even channel names.  But that is due to my personal dislike of global channels inturrupting my in room stuff too much.

Player set stuff:  Let players set their choices through their clients, let them highlight the names of characters or words they want distinguished JUST FOR THEMSELVES.  I would say never ever let a player set the color of their name and if it can be coded, limit the who list titles to dark colors and no more than one or two colors.  In IC notes on the boards though, I am all in favor of color.  In part because as a player in the past, I have used one color to indicate the actions of how the post would be visible to a particular person and a second to distinguish the message itself.  Not necessary, but it adds a nice touch.  Maybe limit the colors to a certain number or only dark ones there too though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style='colorurple'>A young girl arrives with a small parchment in hand and blushing slightly begs your attention.  Excuse me, Sir Blahblah, but this is a message for you.  After waiting a moment in hopes of a tip, she rushes off.</span>

<span style='color:gray'>"Sir Blahblah,
  Lalalalalala.  Color is useful and it makes for a charming little note to you.  Lovely to bother you again and I hope our next killing spree goes equally well! Blessings of whatever dark god we love and sacrifice innocent victims to.
Miss Sapphar"</span>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are places for color everywhere.  Just don't overdue it, try to keep to the darker colors, and let players turn it off selectively.

Sapphar
(yes, I hate bright colors, in case I didn't state that enough times in enough ways *grin*)