View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 03:22 AM   #12
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I agree with you, the_logos and Lodes.  The more I think about it the more I want to program a custom client for my project.  But, not having done any Windows programming before, it's kind of difficult and going slowly!  I'm still trying to figure out MFC and if I should use it or not, etc.  (That's what I get for doing it all on my own!  I really should get some help at some point ...)

I have a few other questions for you guys.

First, since you could do some amazing things if all your players have to use your custom client to play your game, do you think there is a big enough benefit in creating your game like this, or do you think it would discourage a significant amount of players?  I originally thought that it would probably discourage a large amount of people from trying my game.  It seems most Mudders are familiar with a client and don't like to change.  But I also think that it might attract just as many players if done well.

Second, do you think players mind if the client is written to own the screen?  (If I understand this correctly - it means unable to run any other applications while playing, right?)  I know some MMORPGS are done in this manner to guard against hacking as well as other issues.  Do you think Mudders will be receptive to this kind of software scheme?  Especially since no MUD clients that I can think of are written this way.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote