View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'm not really sure of the intent of your question. The game I play doesn't include potions as a "craft" skill, but rather herblore is a "miscellaneous" skill and further our game has no set professions or classes.

Crafting, in Inferno (yeah I mentioned it - so sue me), is actually several different skills: Artisan for jewelry making, cutting gems, and creating carved items, Crafting, which is leather armor making and bow carving, Smithing, which is smelting ore into metal and cutting it for use by weaponsmiths and armorsmiths, Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing (self explanatory), and Weaving, which is everything from combining "body parts" of critters to make dyes for yarn, spinning fibers on a wheel, to create the skeins, weaving the yarn on a loom, and cutting and sewing the clothe created into clothing and "containers" such as backpacks and satchels and purses.

These crafting skills are vital to the economic balance of the game, such that they are supported by game mechanics as viable full-time methods of advancement through one's chosen guild and even through the level system. Hunting characters rely on the crafter characters for their equipment and wardrobes, for healing herbal remedies and mana boosters, for fatigue relief and enchantable rods, and even for gravestones to mark the passing of a brave comrade.

I don't consider crafting, as I've described, as an "exploration" set of skills as much as a socialization and political set of skills. Be nice to your crafter, or the next helm you wear just might not protect you against the bigugly critter. Or, it might, but you could very well pay double what you would've paid if you were more polite to the crafter.

That's my take on the "skillset" known as crafting, as I know it from my own experiences.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote