View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 07:18 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Fredrik lives in Sweden, but I believe the Swedish Kronar is doing very well against the US dollar as well (although not as well as the Euro).  Of course it's not really an advantage to be paid in a currency that's doing badly against that of the country you live in, as it means the amount of money in your pocket each month will slowly decrease (although should the situation reverse you'd end up earning more - so it's a bit of a gamble).

But comparing salaries between countries is not as straightforward as just converting the currency - you need to take into account lots of other factors, such as the cost of living, taxation and additional costs, insurance, benefits, etc.  For example when I first moved from the UK to Germany I was offered an additional €17k, which initially seemed very nice - but after tax and insurances my total takehome was actually slightly less than it had been in the UK.  However I was able to make up for that with a lower cost of living and the ability to claim tax back on a lot of things that I would never have gotten away with back home (training courses, computer bits, flights to visit friends and family, etc).

If people are staying in their home country then they'll probably already have a fairly good idea of what to expect, but they still may find themselves paying extra taxes and insurance for some things, and being able to claim back taxes on others (maybe even part of their rent, as they're working from home).  I guess it would also depend on whether they're an actual employee or just a contractor, but either way it's not something I'd recommend a prospective employee to jump into blindly.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote