Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 11-05-2003, 07:18 AM   #21
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
With all due respect, the part of the larger mud community which is really impacted by license and IP issues aren't really the players, but those who code and build. As a MUD staffer, it ought to be my role to ensure that you, the player, are never impacted by such issues.

A player's opinion is valuable at all times, but they don't have any real stake in such legal issues, apart from the (really remote) risk that their favorite MUD might suddenly disappear...
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:40 AM   #22
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
Don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha.

And as many other posters have enumerated in much more eloquent terms: you were never a victim. You dug your own hole. When you act like a donkey, you'll be treated like one. Insert other terse, but slightly scathing truisms here.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:48 AM   #23
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 PM   #24
vedic

vedic is on a distinguished road
Heh, good luck with that... most likely if such a heroic task were actually to get out of the planning stages, it would dissolve in a mire of bickering and arrogance.

I think there's enough flamers on the boards related to MUDs as it is without creating an exclusionary society on top of that.
vedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:57 PM   #25
Koryon

Koryon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Koryon Send a message via MSN to Koryon
The only problem with such an idea is that nothing would happen because of it, most players come to a mud from word of mouth, and from logging in and seeing that other people are there.

TMC already has auditors who make sure listed muds are following the license, I KNOW they are doing their job (... goes hunting for the builder than changed his greet help file).

A mailing list was set up a while ago (About the time TMS started on it's second forums ... maybe 3+ years ago?) but it died out, we were discussing muds like this, I brought up Aardwolf then, and rt did indeed respond to it with his thoughts.   But, nothing noteworthy happened from this.  And the simple sad fact is that the greater whole of all mudders are the non-coding/non-building/non-adminning, players.  About 99% of players are loyal to thier mud ABOVE ALL ELSE, they will usually not care, and fight that it's ok because thier mud is better than ours and we are just jealous.  For proof, just find a place that still archives USENET (Google Groups maybe?) and look through rec.games.mud.diku for the Med threads, and read their players responses, they can't be reasoned with at all.

And like I said, it wouldn't change anything, Med hasn't been listed or advertised anywhere (except some in Kyndig's site I think) in the last few years, and Aard never listed or advertised until now.  Unfortunatly if we organize ourselves into a group and say "bad", it's no different then the unorganized mass of us saying "bad".  Aside from getting aid from every single service provider around, the only other way to really change anything is for a legal action to take place.   I'm not sure which is more unlikely to happen, I don't think we ever managed to convince FAST.NET of anything, even with the evidence at the time.
Koryon is offline   Reply With Quote

These forums, Aardwolf, and me - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aardwolf? Soleil Legal Issues 41 03-30-2006 08:49 AM
Aardwolf presents - Aardwolf Hold'em! Filt MUD Announcements 0 09-05-2005 05:34 PM
A Brief Dissection of Aardwolf Rundvelt Advertising for Players 1 10-27-2003 10:58 AM
Go Aardwolf! Terloch Tavern of the Blue Hand 30 10-26-2003 03:27 AM
Aardwolf Mud Jaenelle Advertising for Players 1 10-13-2003 07:41 PM