Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #21
the_logos

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by

I'm saying if someone is wearing the magical cloak that I know grants one resistance to fire, I might want to take that into consideration as to whether I cast fire spells or charge at them with my lance of flames. If someone re-tailored the item to look differently, that variable of tactic selection is removed.
Sure, but that's a design decision on a MUD's part. Simply don't allow combat-functional clothing to be restrung if that's a problem in your MUD. We don't because it'd be a problem.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #22
Amaranthe

Amaranthe is on a distinguished road
Right, that's what we do as well. The few folks that can "tailor can only tailor clothing items, which are statless useless items (as opposed to armor items, even if the armor is made of cloth.)

But again, I don't consider that a true crafting system, and I doubt restringing decorative roleplaying items is what the original poster wants when he says he's looking for an innovative crafting system. Though maybe I'm wrong.

I just know that even though we have this aesthetic function on our MUD, I think it'd be dishonest to advertise it as having a crafting system.
Amaranthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
zeropiel

zeropiel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Slanted @ Dec. 29 2005,11:26)
Howdy everyone,

Well, I've gone through another batch of muds and found that I am still looking for something different than what they have to offer.  Since my last few tries at this resulted in a bunch of people listing their mud regardless of whether or not it fit my criteria, I am going to keep it very simple for those who refuse to read my long ramblings.  PLEASE do NOT submit your mud as a suggestion for me unless it fits ALL of these criteria.  I will elaborate more on them afterwards for those who like to read:

1.  Skill based advancement or Classes with a lot of different skill options within the classes
2.  Non Repetitive activities to raise skills or gain exp.
3.  Roleplay is the norm.  Not necessarily required, but found far more often than OOC.
4.  Crafting systems that are non-repetitive to gain skill and not tied to any class/guild.
5.  Not designed around fighting the same kind of monster over and over again except in scripted invasions or other rare exceptions.

Alright, for those of you who are, like me, detail oriented, here is more elaboration on each of my topics:

1.  I'd prefer a totally classless system, but I am not adverse to having classes so long as I can highly customize my character.  This does not mean that as a mage I can choose between 3 whole skills and in the end pretty much all mages will have them maxxed but at any given point you will be slightly different.  What I'd like instead, using the same sort of example, is a mage who can choose between something like 5 - 10 different kinds of magic and it would be almost inconceivable that near the end, or any other point, of their careers, they would have even remotely close to the same mix of spells as any other mage.
2.  It boggles my mind that almost every mud in existence, with so much imagination to tap, requires you to endlessly repeat the same motion or kill the same type of monster over and over and over again to gain skill.  I don't want to have to kill 400 ants or rats to gain a level.  I don't want to build 75 broadswords to gain a skill point.  I'd like a fresh take on gaining skill.  Perhaps having to perform vastly different activities for each skill gain or even something I haven't even considered.
3.  This is pretty self explanatory.  I have played RP enforced and suggested.  I am comfortable with either really, so long as I can get help as a newbie without jumping through a bunch of arbitrary hoops.  At the same time, I don't like being ridiculed for being in character.
4.  I like to craft.  So stab me.  I haven't found a single system I like yet.  Either they take an absorbitant amount of time or you just crank out a bajillion of whatever item to gain skill.  Either way, you usally end up doing the same boring activity over and over again.  I'd like to be able to pick up any kind of craft, regardless of what kind of combatant I choose to become, and have some kind of dynamic system to become better at it.
5.  Let me ask you this... Am I visiting the same hunting grounds over and over again and waiting for a respawn?  If yes, please don't suggest.  Also, let me ask you this:  Can I expect to be killing the same type of monster for hours at a time to gain skill?  If so, please don't suggest.  Also, Can I be expected to gain skill by practicing 'thrust rapier' at my friends while they do the same for hours on end?  If so, please don't suggest.

Anyway, lets see what you got for me.  I know the requirements are kinda harsh, but I figure why settle for something I don't want for a leisure activity.  If no muds fit the requirement I'll just take up another hobby.

Thanks,
Slanted
Long post, most of you will probably hate it.

If you've tried all the muds on the the top 20 list, you have already tried WoTmud, but I'm going to go ahead and write about it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
1.  Skill based advancement or Classes with a lot of different skill options within the classes
Skills: In WoTmud you get 8 practice points when you start and 5 points pr. lvl until lvl 30 (of 51), magic practice is on a different system. You can practice in 3 or 4 different classes:
Warrior: weapons, fighting techniques and shield parry.
Hunter: survival skills, ride etc
Rogue: sneaking, steal, backstab, dodge etc
Channeler: magic
When you start a char you need to choose class: Warrior, hunter, rogue and channeler. Classes also give chars special skills: autotrack for hunters and autoscan in cities and roads for rogues. The different classes get different practice bonuses:
Warrior:
1 - warrior prac
2 - hunter prac
3 - rogue prac
no channie pracs
Hunter:
2 - warrior prac
1 - hunter prac
2 - rogue prac
no channie pracs
Rogue:
3 - warrior prac
2 - hunter prac
1 - rogue prac
no channie pracs
Channie:
Male:
3 - warrior prac
2 - hunter prac
2 - rogue prac
channie pracs
Female:
4 - warrior prac
2 - hunter prac
2 - rogue prac
channie pracs
I think there might be differences between male and female pracs with other classes as well, but I'm not sure how they work.

A new char has hidden stats (str, int, wil, dex, con), and will gain permanent stats at level 5. (statting) Statting solo can be done in anything from 15-20 minutes to 50 minutes depending on class. Female chars have strength malus.

The magic is a bit different in WoTmud, and is modeled on the magic system in the Wheel of Time books. Spells (weaves) only take 1 spell practice point per practice, on a (somewhat) logarithmic scale up to 99% max. To be able to practice weaves you have to practice elements: water, air, earth, fire and spirit. Elements cost an increasing amount of pracs up to lvl 7. Only some channelers get all the weaves they want when they reach maximum level (51), but I think it is impossible to get all weaves.

If the skills and classes you can choose from define your char, you can have a wide variety of chars on WoTmud. You will find though that not all styles are efficient in PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
2.  Non Repetitive activities to raise skills or gain exp.
Sorry, to lvl you need exp by killing stuff. Sometimes lots of stuff, though there is a fairly well balanced range of stuff to kill, from cute deer as a newbie to stuff you can only do as a group.

Through leveling you do get to do a wide variety of stuff though. As a newbie you kill cute deer for 300 exp, at lvl 10-20 you kill elk and cats for 3000 - 7000 exp, at lvl 30 can join someone else and gain between 500k - 1000k exp in an hour. To be efficiant you might have to trade/buy equipment, or join a group that will take on one of the many smobs for exp and equipment.

But in the it is all about killing stuff, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
3.  Roleplay is the norm.  Not necessarily required, but found far more often than OOC.
WoTmud is primarily a PK mud. If you're not interested in PK you can still choose a clan where PK is not mandatory, but PK can at any time be brought to you.

RP is not mandatory, but encouraged. Most clans have mandatory RP to some extent, thought some have it more than others. You usually have to be lvl 25 before aplying to a clan.

Getting help as a newbie is generally not very difficult. However there is no handholding in the mud, and if you encounter the wrong char they will have no problem killing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
4.  Crafting systems that are non-repetitive to gain skill and not tied to any class/guild.
Clans are not based on crafting, and any player may start a trade to earn money. Sadly, you only get money for trades. If there are plans for a change in the future I don't know of it. AFAIK all trades are available to everyone, though you might have to learn lots to be able to do the trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by
5.  Not designed around fighting the same kind of monster over and over again except in scripted invasions or other rare exceptions.
Well, it is designed around the interaction of players, both through RP and PK. To be taken seriously in RP you either have to be in a clan, or you have to be a skilled high level player. To PK you have to be a skilled high level player with mid to high range equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Let me ask you this... Am I visiting the same hunting grounds over and over again and waiting for a respawn?
Sometimes, yes. I'm still suggesting it though, because there is lots of exploring to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Also, let me ask you this:  Can I expect to be killing the same type of monster for hours at a time to gain skill?
Sometimes, yes, and again I'm still suggesting.
You can gain lots of exp in a group, visiting a variety of smobs for exp and eq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Also, Can I be expected to gain skill by practicing 'thrust rapier' at my friends while they do the same for hours on end?
No. You only get exp for killing.

When you join a clan you still have to kill stuff for exp, but this will (usually) not affect your rank in the clan. We have 4 different point systems: practice, magic practice, turn points and quest points. Turn points you only get from PK, and quest points you only get from clan quests. Different clans different quests.

Sorry for the long post, posting anyways
zeropiel is offline   Reply With Quote