Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-04-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
Ok, this is kinda getting to me, because I just read the review of ASSAULT: High Tech War, and even though it's not a completely bad one (And as far as I know, this guy has nothing against the mud), it's completely inacurate.

Let me go into more specific detail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
You are given a choice of building one of 3? labs, which let you build certain other buildings.
Try 8 research labs, none which are hidden, and all listed one after another on the build list so nobody would accidently miss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
There is one huge challenge, (that as a noob I realised almost too late) and that is... You have a limited amount of buildings.
Yes, there is, to prevent people from getting impossible-to-destroy bases and keep the game going, it's not a huge challenge, I myself have proven over and over it's possible to build a very nicely-defended base with 90 buildings! But then again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Me: Large turrets surrounding base, with about 16 mines.
Even though the newbie guide suggests only 8 mines are enough, and they are enough. Of course that, if you have 16 mines, and who knows how many other useless buildings, you'll hit the building limit! Duh!!  Sacrifice your luxury building for defensive ones, that's the point of strategy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by
You also have to do certain quests to go and upgrade your buildings to better ones, to save yourself from build limits.
No quest in the world changes the building limit, it's the same for everyone to keep the game fair. Also, there are plenty of other ways to upgrade buildings in the game besides quests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I found out that this game has a LOT of lag.
The server is very fast, none of the players seem to be getting lag... Then again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Another thing about the map is that it is very spread out (it has to be)
Map size can be changed, as explained in the newbie help files. Also, as is highly recommendedby almost every help file, on the website, AND is even reminded in your SCORE, the game supports the MCCP protocol, which allows over 90% data compression if you only use either a decent client, or the MCClient proxy which is just a tiny program you run in the background while playing (In case you have an old, featureless client like Telnet or Gmud). There is even a download link for a preconfigured mcclient on the website, and complete instructions both in-game and on the website on how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
every time this big map comes up, you lose what a player may have been trying to say
Isn't the History command very useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by
when you have buildings that let you create stuff, it spams half your screen with the stuff you can build this thing with.
Only if you're on a... 640x480 resolution... and size 99 fonts. And that's when YOU actively type the command to view the building's help file...

All in all, I just don't think you even played the game more than 3 hours, cause you've definately haven't had a touch of the main spirit of the game (PK), don't seem to know about any of the commands or help files, and were very much mistaken in your numbers and amounts in every part of the review.

So, "Noob Testing", next time you "Test" a mud, try to do it right and spend a little more than a couple of hours, so the reviews will turn out a bit more accurate.

I don't think reviewing a mud without really knowing it does either the reviewer, or the game itself, any good. However, for the record, I do appreciate there's someone who takes the time to visit and review games, it's not like I hate you now or something Just pointing out the inacuracies.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
I think you're being a bit harsh on the reviewer. Obviously he or she's posting from their own perspective, which may in fact highlight where the game doesn't really make certain aspects very clear. At least 3 of the things you quoted were true, at least for the player. One other may well be true for wherever that player is from (the lag issue). Pointing out that the maps are big is definitely important for some players, especially those on dialup, and especially those who don't have the ability to use MCClient or whatever (which is not exactly intuitive to set up). And saying the history command is useful is no very helpful unless it's been made quite clear to the playr that it exists and what it does. A lot of muds hide away important features, expecting you to read the help file on every command before you do anything.

I think people have the right to review something they've only played for 3 hrs. It's not like they're getting paid for an in-depth review. It's just them posting their first impressions, and if that is evident from the review, then I don't see why there's a problem.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
I never asked him to read all the help files in the game, I just wanted him to get his facts straight before he posts them publically... in any democratic nation you could sue someone over that sort of stuff

Just for the record, though, I do have people on dialup who are very much lag-free. And just because he has lag, doesn't mean everyone else will have lag, but based on what you're saying, just because HE has lag, doesn't mean he should write a review and yell out that the game is laggy, right? Some people have it, others don't, that's what you were saying.

Also, the fact that he wasn't even able to count 8 sentences, and only got 3, suggests he either didn't really play the game in order to play (Because you don't even have to read a help file to find those 5 tech trees he left out, they're listed right next to the other 3), or played there... a year ago.

Also, he wrote nothing about the true meaning of the game, meaning he never even experienced a fight, which gives him no right to write a review... It's like saying you were at the best new year's party in the world when you've only stayed for 5 minutes.

It's not too hard to ask someone who's writing a review to get his facts right, isn't it?
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote

ASSAULT: About our recent, very inacurate, review. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seemingly Recent Trend prof1515 Tavern of the Blue Hand 15 10-05-2005 05:38 PM
Assault: Coming back this sunday! Amnon Advertising for Players 12 07-19-2004 01:41 AM
Regarding our Most Recent Review Valg Tavern of the Blue Hand 30 01-16-2004 05:38 PM
Assault Gone soljax MUD Administration 4 01-16-2004 06:26 AM
Most recent discussion list Neranz Laverani Bugs and Suggestions 9 09-17-2002 01:52 PM