Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 09-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #21
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Very well said Syrinx, and I agree to a point. Though it is all about personal preference.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #22
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I only read the first post and the first page of this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating someone else.

I think it depends on what else you game has to offer. If it allows players to create thief characters, then they need someone to steal from, and you can't guarantee that a PC will be available when Thief happens to log in and wants to experiment with his skill.

In that case, you do need something for those thieves to steal, and perhaps at the very least, a satchel or purse filled with assorted whatevers is useful. Perhaps on a "poor" NPC it might have 5 coins and one piece of food, on a rich NPC it might be a really nice silk pouch with beaded trim filled with some kind of interesting doodad.

As for the rest, I don't think it's out of line to include the clothing in the character's description. But the clothing does need to be put in, whether just part of the description, or actual coded objects.

For commoner or poor NPCs, something simple like:

This man has long grey hair that falls down to his hunched skinny back. He appears malnourished and sickly, with pockmarks covering his ruddy-hued face and pus oozing from his cloudy red eyes. He wears clothing typical of his status in life; tattered rags and torn trousers.
He is also wearing a small faded linen satchel.

Where the last line would be the actual object he is carrying.

For wealthier characters, perhaps include a few things, that would be stealable/lootable.

He is also wearing a bright purple silk-lined hide cloak, and a green-trimmed polkadotted purse.

In summary, I agree that it isn't *necessary* for NPCs to have actual coded clothes, if the majority of them are similar and exist just for atmosphere. However I think they should all have something that people can interact with, and that the clothing should at least be included in their description.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote

The clothes make the mob? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to make a mud, Can anyone help me with tips Tjnet88 MUD Builders and Areas 35 09-02-2008 02:37 PM
So, I'm going to make a MUD... Drealoth Advanced MUD Concepts 1 01-23-2006 08:33 PM
can you make weapon web ppl? UnKnOwN1205 MUD Coding 3 07-06-2004 11:54 PM
Think you can make your mark? Myra Advertising for Players 0 02-16-2004 02:53 AM
How do you make new help files? Danlor MUD Coding 9 09-05-2002 06:40 AM