Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > TMS Announcements and Feedback
Click here to Register

View Poll Results: Should the voting period be weekly or monthly?
Weekly 13 34.21%
Monthly 17 44.74%
Don't Care 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #21
fjin
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25
fjin is on a distinguished road
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfyr View Post
As to the actual issue at hand, I really don't have an opinion. All reseting at all seems to do is make people *race* to cram as many votes as possible onto the site, so they can temporarilly be first (even if that only lasts like 20 minutes). Its quite absurd. A more reasonable way would to have what ever reset you want, but include something like, "last week", or even, "average over life of the mud", or something. Or maybe not. Mostly, vote systems don't really work too well anyway, since they often only show size of player base (vaguely), not *how many* of those players they do have do vote, or even what they would actually rate the mud at on a scale. And, some are likely to be more active in encouraging people vote, which means one with 150 players, where 120 vote, is still going to look bigger than one with 200, where only 50 vote. A fact that may have nothing at all to do with "if" its a good mud.
Resets creates temporal chaos, and it settles over time.

Most propably placements are about the same in every MUD just before reset.

If we want those chaos situation, then keep reset system. But if we want to show general standings of MUD's then we need something else.

How about taking fixed % off in every day, or even in every hour.
Like 1% off from score per hour. If we want to punish a bit those smaller mud's (or they all ends up with 99 votes) we can have extra 1 vote off from everyone also.

This creates same effect, without chaos, those are more stable scores, but if stable player base (acutally active voters) rise or goes down, it will show up there.
fjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,384
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

I think weekly resets would present Mayhem as the rankings would barely be fleshed out (on the current system this takes about 4 or 5 days) by the time it resets, so the only real result you get is high voting for those that know TMS reset, by the time it starts to settle you have a reset.

I don't care either way about the 12 hour or 24 hour voting time frame, but it would be nice to notify the voter if they have already voted. The current system does not do that. OR have set times like Zhiroc suggested of when you vote during the day.

I agree with Threshold on a set day for the reset, like Sunday or the first day of the month, etc.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
Lasher
Administrator
 
Lasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Name: Derek
Location: Orlando
Posts: 353
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
I think weekly resets would present Mayhem as the rankings would barely be fleshed out (on the current system this takes about 4 or 5 days) by the time it resets, so the only real result you get is high voting for those that know TMS reset, by the time it starts to settle you have a reset.

I don't care either way about the 12 hour or 24 hour voting time frame, but it would be nice to notify the voter if they have already voted. The current system does not do that. OR have set times like Zhiroc suggested of when you vote during the day.

I agree with Threshold on a set day for the reset, like Sunday or the first day of the month, etc.
The vote resets will be monthly. Once you get past the first 50 or so MUDs with the current voting period the numbers are very low, so the longer reset gives the smaller MUDs a chance to make a mark.

There will also be a ranking option to view this week/last week (and today/yesterday) for those just curious. The voting code is already building this up behind the scenes, but the results won't be relevant until we've been live for at least two weeks so it isnt displayed anywhere.

Displaying whether or not you can vote again yet is something very few voting sites do - makes it even easier to script the voting / refresh your DHCP address and see if it worked / etc.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #24
Zhiroc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 92
Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

I was just thinking, instead of hard resets like is done now, or the "falloff" decay suggested previously, how about a rolling month? So, you keep 28 days of data in the DB, and the 29th day deletes day 1 and overwrites it. The next day overwrites day 2, etc.

Then the rankings would not be "unstable" for days after a reset, but would drift as time passes.

Probably more coding though
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,384
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiroc View Post
I was just thinking, instead of hard resets like is done now, or the "falloff" decay suggested previously, how about a rolling month? So, you keep 28 days of data in the DB, and the 29th day deletes day 1 and overwrites it. The next day overwrites day 2, etc.

Then the rankings would not be "unstable" for days after a reset, but would drift as time passes.

Probably more coding though
Not a bad idea, but doesn't do a clean sweep which is sometimes fun to see unknown muds hold the top twenty positions for a day or two. Gives them a chance to be known, which is exciting.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #26
Zhiroc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 92
Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
Not a bad idea, but doesn't do a clean sweep which is sometimes fun to see unknown muds hold the top twenty positions for a day or two. Gives them a chance to be known, which is exciting.
Well... if you hold N days of voting separate, you can actually show "top twenty today" which should have the same volatility of any reset.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,384
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiroc View Post
Well... if you hold N days of voting separate, you can actually show "top twenty today" which should have the same volatility of any reset.
Perhaps, but then it starts to resemble TMC, which not to rip on TMC, but their voting system is completely fubar'd, not to mention their posting and review system.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #28
Lasher
Administrator
 
Lasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Name: Derek
Location: Orlando
Posts: 353
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
Perhaps, but then it starts to resemble TMC, which not to rip on TMC, but their voting system is completely fubar'd, not to mention their posting and review system.
TMC is the daddy of all MUD sites, and at least its review system is working at all right now, unlike ours, so let's be nice there.

As for showing rankings. Main rankings page will not change, but there's no harm in having options for people to see todays votes, this week's votes, this week's votes vs last week's votes, last month's votes, etc etc.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #29
Lanthum
Member
 
Lanthum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 138
Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
but there's no harm in having options for people to see todays votes, this week's votes, this week's votes vs last week's votes, last month's votes, etc etc.

I agree, I think those would be great options of having! Among many other things, it could help Admins see if their voting "pushes" are working.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014