|07-03-2008, 06:39 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Coder needed for MUD (paid position)
Employer: Trident Games
Position: Games Programmer
Location: Anywhere (Work from home)
Hours: Part-time / As-needed
Pay Rate: Negotiable
Trident Games is currently looking for a Games Programmer to develop code on a part-time or as-needed basis. We're looking for someone who is passionate about online games to work on Citadel, our next generation prose roleplaying game (MUD), and who can implement innovative new game systems from the ground up.
The Citadel project is in part funded by our recent successful webgame, Dragon Tavern. However, Citadel is a much more ambitious in-depth virtual world with multiple game-systems and a very detailed original IP as the setting.
This position offers the opportunity to work from home, and thus requires someone who can work autonomously while collaborating with the rest of the Citadel team remotely.
The game layer of Citadel is written in MERRY, a proprietary language similar to C, so the applicant must be able to quickly and effectively learn the syntax of a new language. Due to the game's enhanced interface, knowledge of HTML/CSS is a big plus.
Applicants must also be prepared to familiarise themselves with the codebase and take responsibility for certain areas of it.
Examples of day-to-day tasks:
- Implementing new game systems, such as our unique social gameplay system, the core combat system, our wilderness travel and encounter system, or our factional PvP system
- Implementing sub-systems in areas as diverse as creature AI, path finding, and economic tracking
- Extending existing systems to adapt to the changing needs of the game
- Collaborating with our lead designer in working out what's possible and how it should be implemented, along with collaborating with our building team to assist with area implementation and complex scripting requirements
- Writing various tools to help automate the game development process
We will be looking for these qualities in an applicant:
- Clear and effective communication via email and voice is a must given the remote nature of the work
- Proven ability to write brilliant code and think through implementation problems
- A love for online games – in particular MUDs and MMORPGs or similar
- A passion for making clean, efficient, automated systems that are pleasant to use
- Previous game development experience isn't required, but is preferred
- Degree in IT or Comp Sci related area preferred
To find out more about us, and the Citadel project in particular, go to Trident Games. The Weekly Developer Blog is an ever-expanding source of information about our game and its setting.
If interested, please email jobs -AT- tridentgames.com with your resume, cover letter, and academic transcript.