Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #81
Zivilyn
Member
 
Zivilyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Name: Dave
Location: Oregon
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Posts: 79
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I hear you on CF, I personally didn't think they were doing anything odd, I just wondered why the stats seemed so low as far as players online. I know the Mudstats site seems pretty accurate on mine, although it doesn't account for invisible people (or doesn't seem to). But it does seem to update quite regularly, so the 'average' would seem to be close to correct?
Back to the OP's post though, it seems like a witch-hunt. Although, at least one of them proved to be accurate with 90+% of it's votes being proxy. Perhaps Lasher can just set up the voting so it doesn't include any votes from any IP's on the proxy list.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #82
MudMann
Member
 
MudMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
Posts: 178
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
Yes, great advertising. It's gotten you all the way to 97th place on TMC with a whopping 3 votes. Give us a break, your cheating is so obvious it shouts from the penthouse windows.
I have seen disagreements on this website before, but this comment is low.

I dont see any evidence of cheating, WoT has been around for a long time, it is officially endorsed by the author, and is based on a very popular series. Just because the admin have activly engaged on a promotion to get new blood, and the loyal player base have responded is not grounds for cheating. It doesnt take more than a cursory glance at their forums and website to realise that WoT has a much more active community than most of the other MUD's in the top ten have. I have personally never played it, but the website makes it seem like a very attractive prospect and will probably be the first mud in a year or so that I have logged onto... when I have some spare time.

I am sure TMS owners/admin will admit they are not the centre of the MUD universe, and being in the top 20 is not a sure sign of a great mud.. just a mud with a more effective voting scheme. (please dont think I am saying the top 20 are NOT great muds.. some are brilliant).

If WoT decided to really push for votes, I am sure they would probably be in the top 3 on a regular basis.

Being pushed with TMS votes on muds I have played I found quite annoying, and I am sure it is a difficult thing for game owners to have to ask for their players to take a little time away (even if it is measure in mins) from the game to help market it.

All accusations of cheating should be blocked by moderators unless they come with hard facts, not made up fiction, and that all posts by Anjanas should be moderated before being made public.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #83
valan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Home MUD: WoTMUD
Posts: 11
valan is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I play WoTMUD. I'm not sure how that MUD stats page collects it's info, but if it's using a bot to logon and check the who list, it's likely incorrect. Reason being, there's 3 races, and each races only sees a who list for that race. So one might see 50 players, but there's actually 70 players. Plus, there's one (very interesting I might add) area with it's own who list. I believe there's also a stats page on the website, though, that lists accurate numbers if anyone is interested.

In regards to the Mud Connector, and I'm sure it's like this with a few others, we've more or less stop bothering there it seems. The registration appears to make it too tedious for some. Regardless, I still cast my vote there when I remember.

Regardless of the accuracy, that site is still interesting to check every now and then

Also, MudMann, thank you for the kind words towards WoTMUD

Last edited by valan : 11-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #84
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurNominator View Post
This seems like it describes the so-called "graveyard shift" numbers of online players, during which the number of players online drops drastically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valan View Post
I play WoTMUD. I'm not sure how that MUD stats page collects it's info, but if it's using a bot to logon and check the who list, it's likely incorrect. Reason being, there's 3 races, and each races only sees a who list for that race.
As I said before, if you feel MUDStats is unfairly representing your mud you might want to consider adding support for MSSP (Mud Server Status Protocol). Otherwise MUDStats is going to continue displaying the same player numbers, and anyone using their site will use those numbers to judge the popularity of your games.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #85
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMann View Post
I dont see any evidence of cheating.
I don't see any evidence of not cheating. I brought it up. You keep it going. They came on and made all these claims about how great they are and all these players voting so much. Well, Mudmann, I called them on it with there silly 3 votes on TMC and it made them and you cry, apparently. Truth hurts. Proof is in the pudding.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #86
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
I don't see any evidence of not cheating.
Argumentum ad ignorantiam - one cannot prove a negative, so the burden of proof is on you. If WoTMUD is cheating then show the evidence, otherwise I suggest you withdraw your accusations.

WoTMUD was in 5th place on TMS. And according to MUDStats, WoTMUD has the 5th highest average population of the top 10 muds on TMS. While one might argue the accuracy of the MUDStats data, there is certainly nothing suspicious in the statistics.

Furthermore, Lasher has already said that he's looked into proxy cheating, and removed Avalon as a result - this would suggest that there were no obvious problems with the other listings.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #87
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I didn't bring the subject back up. You people keep doing it. I am not a tissue, get the picture? Let the cheaters speak for themselves mister Avatar.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #88
MudMann
Member
 
MudMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
Posts: 178
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
I didn't bring the subject back up. You people keep doing it. I am not a tissue, get the picture? Let the cheaters speak for themselves mister Avatar.
I dont play WoT, I am not crying. The issue was looked into as a result, some people were found to be breaking rules and dealt with accordingly. WoT was not one of them.

You dont have the manners to appologise but keep with the accusations so I had my say as I want it making perfectly clear to any WoT players / admin who may come onto these forums that myself and I am sure others do not in anyway believe they are cheaters.

Thanks for proving what a prat you are. Troll would be too nice a term.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #89
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMann View Post
I dont play WoT, I am not crying.

Thanks for proving what a prat you are. Troll would be too nice a term.
Sticks and stones mister. You are crying and you remind me alot of the boys in gradeschool that used to pull our ponytails just so they could get attention. Keep up the insults it won't change the outcome. Cheaters never prosper and so we see that they aren't.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #90
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

You two bickering isn't going to add anything to the thread. Just PM each other if you want to do that.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #91
valan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Home MUD: WoTMUD
Posts: 11
valan is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
5 - WoT (The new kids on the block with 54 players that gained 150 votes over night to gain this postion. votes (406)
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/mudinfo-wotmud.html
Date Added 9th August, 2001
Year Created 1993
Not so new, eh?
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #92
MudMann
Member
 
MudMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
Posts: 178
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
You two bickering isn't going to add anything to the thread. Just PM each other if you want to do that.
*Chuckle* coming from you that is quite amusing. but your point is quite correct, and this thread is exhausted, welcome BACK to the TMS WoT, you non-cheating crew!

I shall make full use (first time ever on ANY forum) of the wonderful ignore facility so I dont take the bait of the irritating yapping mutt anymore....

.....of course not without that last tempting pull of the pigtail before I cover my ears, stick out my tongue and run of going "nah nah nah cant hear YOU!!!" :-D
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #93
Molly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sweden
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Posts: 566
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
Yes, great advertising. It's gotten you all the way to 97th place on TMC with a whopping 3 votes. Give us a break, your cheating is so obvious it shouts from the penthouse windows.
Anjanas, you are a disgrace to yourself, and the bad thing is that you don't even realise it.
Since you made this low watermark post, WoTMud has successfully proved their innocense and kept their position on TMS.

And you still call them cheaters in later posts.

The only so called 'proof' that you offer is that they have a low position on another Mud voting site, TMC.
The only thing that proves is that they don't ask their players to vote on TMC.

Using the same flawed logic, you could also prove that Achaea, who currently holds the #2 position on TMS, are cheaters. They currently are listed as #911 on TMC, with a total of 0 votes.
That only proves that Achaea doesn't send their players to vote on TMC either.
Or are you going to call them cheaters next?

You should apologise to WoTMud, or crawl back into the hole you came from.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #94
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
Anjanas, you are a disgrace to yourself, and the bad thing is that you don't even realise it. Since you made this low watermark post, WoTMud has successfully proved their innocense and kept their position on TMS.

And you still call them cheaters in later posts.

The only so called 'proof' that you offer is that they have a low position on another Mud voting site, TMC.
The only thing that proves is that they don't ask their players to vote on TMC.

Using the same flawed logic, you could also prove that Achaea, who currently holds the #2 position on TMS, are cheaters. They currently are listed as #911 on TMC, with a total of 0 votes.
That only proves that Achaea doesn't send their players to vote on TMC either.
Or are you going to call them cheaters next?

You should apologise to WoTMud, or crawl back into the hole you came from.
No I will not apologize. The intent of my post worked. The people cheating quickly changed their tactics. Look at my original post. I said that WoT voted 150 times in one night. Has that happened again since my post? No, not even close. And yes, I've watched them. It worked. They didn't stop the cheating but at least slowed it down.

As for Achaea...draw your own conclusion.

Someone suggested a fix to this voting system by going to a TMC style voting system. I concur. Many in the top twenty here don't even make a dent on TMC. You have to ask yourself why and you will find the answer in my original post.

Molly, Mudmann, and Valan your responses to my valid accusations are rude and defensive and exactly what one expects from guilty parties. You may continue to defend the guilty, but it will not make them any less guilty.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #95
valan
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Home MUD: WoTMUD
Posts: 11
valan is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I was not defensive in either of my two posts, the reason being is because I didn't want to appear biased since I play WoTMUD, and have played it for almost 10 years now. I did, however, point out a couple minor things which really have little to no relevance here. If I came across as rude, I apologize, as that was never my intention.

If you're really interested in why our numbers have dropped some, it's probably because over at WoTMUD there's been no talk about voting in the past week, and not much talk for the week before that. Though that really doesn't concern me much. We know our MUD is great, and we don't need high rankings on TMS to prove it. It's just an added benefit when it does happen.

It is obvious, however, that nothing that anyone says or does here will change your opinion of who is cheating and who isn't, especially when you're the only person who thinks we're cheating and there's people who don't even care for WoTMUD who are still defending it. But I really don't care what you think about it, you're not going to cause me to lose any sleep tonight. Perhaps WoTMUD's PK will, when I get caught up in it and stay up too late, but that's beside the point
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #96
MudMann
Member
 
MudMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Europe
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
Posts: 178
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Dont feed the trolls Valan.. you will never get rid of them that way.

It baffles me how I am accused of being a guilty party when I dont even play / admin any of the games concerned. Most bizarre. I am just one of the people with a modicum of common sense that can see things laid out on this issue and draw likely conclusions, and also accept results of investigations.

We should be thankful for our wonderful troll... helps us realise that not matter how pathetic we can be, there is always someone far far worse.

Now shhhhh.. its late in the UK and time for bed!
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #97
Nikkotek
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Nikkotek is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

Well... On WoTMUD we have plenty of trolls. Except not Anjanas type trolls... Our trolls can smell people in their zones, see in the dark, run further than a horse and have a bonus to get 2 extra strength points other races can't get. So our trolls are pretty badass and everyone's welcome to play them. Just know I'll be killing you if you do play one!

Ok... Maybe we do have a few Anjanas' on our forums... But who doesn't? :P
Nikkotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014