Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOofDFC View Post
Any ideas for the best ways to go about doing something like that? For persuading a company to let go of something that they once made money off of but are now doing nothing more than holding so no one else can get it?
The only way to find out is to contact the company and ask them. If they're not going to use it themselves, they may be willing to sell or licence it, although it probably won't be cheap.

It's not at all uncommon for people to reminisce about their first mud, but even if you were to run it for free, I suspect you'd find it difficult building up a decent sized playerbase.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Im not Ziorus, those logs came from the cyra forums. Someone posted them years ago.

Mythic cant come off dfc because of some copywrite problems regarding the client/code with a company called I.C.E. There is a post about it in cyra forums somewhere, where mark jacobs speaks about the issues about dfc and how it will never return.

I hope cyra turns out pretty well, its definitely got a player base hehe just need a game.

For those interested in what Cyra is here is the client preview posted a year or so ago, its going to be a Darkness falls the crusade remake with some adjustments. But the client already looks amazing.

Created with Camtasia Studio 5
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #23
Mabus
Member
 
Mabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
Mythic cant come off dfc because of some copywrite problems regarding the client/code with a company called I.C.E.
If it was a client copyright issue with the Wizard Front End, that would be Keith Ledbetter of Ledbetter Associates (I believe) that wrote the Wizard FE (the client), not I.C.E (Iron Crown Enterprises) which produced the Rolemaster rule sets.

If it is a client issue you could always contact the creators of the open source Warlock Front End Client , which was used on a few of the same games as the Wizard FE, to see if their client could be used with the game server.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabus View Post
If it was a client copyright issue with the Wizard Front End, that would be Keith Ledbetter of Ledbetter Associates (I believe) that wrote the Wizard FE (the client), not I.C.E (Iron Crown Enterprises) which produced the Rolemaster rule sets.
Could be that someone got it mixed up with Gemstone, which did indeed have problems with Iron Crown Enterprises, after their licence expired in 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabus View Post
If it is a client issue you could always contact the creators of the open source Warlock Front End Client , which was used on a few of the same games as the Wizard FE, to see if their client could be used with the game server.
And even if not, creating your own client is going to be faster than creating both a client and server.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Realedazed
Member
 
Realedazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: AZ
Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Posts: 157
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
Re: Please Help Find!

Mythic used to make some good MUDs. I used to play the original darkness falls on AOL - when it was $x.xx/hour to play! I was freaking hooked. As a broke young teen, I got in sooo much trouble for having a $100+ AOL bill month after month. Also, did you plan Dragon's Gate, too? If I'm not mistaken, Mythic ran that game as well.

Both were pay to play, if I remember correctly. DG was RP enforced and quite fun, too. DG felt more of a grind to me, since I liked the RP better than the leveling. My favorite scene came from an awesome RP system dealing with Dragon and fairy pairs. They needed a strong bond to evolve into great dragons. Man, I do miss that game.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

This was taken from the cyra forums its a guess made by a game master of DFC, aka the creator of cyra.

"The technical aspects belong to Mythic, I.E. the code. The parts that they're reusing for DAOC is probably more the networking model, character skeletons, etc.

I can't say for sure, because i've never played (and never will) an I.C.E Rpg before, but from what I gather it's very "rule" intensive. It wouldn't surprise me if the combat system(s) were based off of that (just like trillions of muds are based off of D20) and that is what ICE owns. In order to keep DFC alive they would have had to core its systems and fill it in with an alternative."


I did play dragonsgate a bit but I was so hooked on Df/DFC at the time I never gave it a real go. Also when I wasn't playing dfc I was playing magestorm.

Dragons gate actually ran for awhile after mythic-realms had closed its doors.
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #27
IZDemon
Member
 
IZDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Home MUD: Shattered Isles
Posts: 56
IZDemon is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

You played Dragon's Gate? I played since AOL Beta all the way through to the end when the server crashed a couple of years ago. There is a small chance Darrin Hyrup is bringing it back but no one is holding their breath for that. In the meantime, a few former Dragon's Gate players have gathered and we made our own MUD. It is still in Alpha testing but you can find it here.

On Dragon's Gate I played Maycron a Leuian Fighter on AOL but when we moved to the web, I played Treyfalgar a Sanene Hand Cleric who became High Priest of Taath.

The new game was orginally called Epoch but the name changed to Isles of Aedin just a few weeks ago.

Isles of Aedin

Our old message boards are here. The old boards still have a lot of the information.

Epoch- Age of Ascendence - Message Board Yuku

The old Dragons Gate boards are here. Although there are only a fraction of us left that hang around and half of them are idiots that flame each other over politics.

Dragon's Gate Community Area - Message Board Yuku

In the section titled OOC Cafe - General Chat, the stickied topic that is titled "About Dragon's Gate possibly returning" you can read the message from Darrin and a few from his wife, where they discuss the possibilities of bringing it back.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #28
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

I found some screenshots of some maps from Darkness Falls The Crusade, and after looking at them after all these years they still looking amazing, Why is there not any art like this in mud's these days? These were real time maps that you saw in-game kinda like batmud or sharune 2.



warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
I found some screenshots of some maps from Darkness Falls The Crusade, and after looking at them after all these years they still looking amazing, Why is there not any art like this in mud's these days? These were real time maps that you saw in-game kinda like batmud or sharune 2.
Nice maps that remind me of old D&D. My guess is that anyone wanting such graphical interface has moved on to games like Runescape and WoW that offer far better quality and quantity and the reason, oddly enough, New Worlds Ateraan has had an influx over the last year of players from graphic games returning to text: high quality roleplay and more depth of imagination.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #30
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

I guess DFC just spoiled me with a user friendly interface and easy commands, it was the first mud I played. Even tho gamestorm offered graphical games at the same time on the same 10$ a month plan, I choose to spend most my time in dfc instead of the graphical games. Above all it was the gameplay that kept me there that long but the nice interface made it easy for almost anyone to get into and right away get a feel of the game.
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #31
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Game play can be a great pull. I'm glad you are still around. Where do you play now? Do you get the same feel as your original game or does the nastalgia and feel of the old game keep you slightly disappointed?
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
Game play can be a great pull. I'm glad you are still around. Where do you play now? Do you get the same feel as your original game or does the nastalgia and feel of the old game keep you slightly disappointed?
I do try to enjoy mud's, I have played quite a few on the list here at top mud sites. I cant seem to get that feel again, the feel I had when playing dfc. Dont get me wrong, I do give every mud the same chance as the next.

When I do play a new mud for the first time Im usually let down cause they dont have maps (I get lost really easy). They have an automated attacking system (I know alot of people like this, but I cant stand it). Or there is just way to much downtime

Some muds that I played that almost brought back that feeling was sharune 2 and batmud.

Sharune 2 has a great interface, very nice maps. I just dont enjoy gear grinds. Or fighting a boss monster for 20minutes.

Batmud also had a great interface and nice maps. I spent the most of my time mudding since dfc has been gone in batmud. But the huge downtime between fighting denizens was pretty boring, and it took me like 50lvls to hit the downtime wall.

Theres alot of good things I can think of about the recent muds I have played but the nastalgia of dfc always leaves my mudding hunger starved.
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #33
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
Theres alot of good things I can think of about the recent muds I have played but the nastalgia of dfc always leaves my mudding hunger starved.
That likely won't go away. Someone's first MUD is normally their most memorable experience.

I'm not sure I'd recommend coming by NWA. It is signficantly different in style and roleplay than Batmud or most others for that matter, especially the two areas you start in and the roleplay you have to do to get in a guild. One good side: tons of players so you are always interacting when not adventuring.

I might recommend Materia Magica for its mapping ability or IRE games for their interface. Other than that, just keep your fond memories for your first.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #34
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
I might recommend Materia Magica for its mapping ability or IRE games for their interface.
Thanks, I have decided to stop looking for a dfc 2 and just try something new lol. I have been playing Aetolia for a few days now, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks alot for your recommendations!

While its a bit more roleplay then im used to, I think its kinda fun to learn how to roleplay. Maybe try what I learned out at the Renaissance festival that comes around my town all the time.

Just to throw out a few reasons why I have been playing in Aetolia, one the interface was very clean and two it had a nice little map. Also the moment I joined a guild, I was welcomed by a fellow guildy that pretty much showed me everything, taught me the basics, and that made it pretty easy to get into.

Aetolia didn't have the exact attack timer I was used to from dfc, that I cry about so much here on the forums. It did have a pretty similar one, where I got to choose each and every attack.

Thanks again, happy muddin
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
Thanks, I have decided to stop looking for a dfc 2 and just try something new lol. I have been playing Aetolia for a few days now, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks alot for your recommendations!

While its a bit more roleplay then im used to, I think its kinda fun to learn how to roleplay. Maybe try what I learned out at the Renaissance festival that comes around my town all the time.

Thanks again, happy muddin
You are welcome. It sounds like you are having a good time. I hope you will get into serious roleplay someday, you might find it incredible immersive.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #36
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
When I do play a new mud for the first time Im usually let down cause they dont have maps (I get lost really easy).
You could also try Maiden Desmodus, it has a rather nice browser-based client with a built-in map, and balance-based combat similar to your earlier example.

There are a few clients that have automappers, and those will work with most muds. It would also be pretty easy to create a MUSHclient plugin that used maps like those in your screenshots, although of course someone would still need to create the maps if they're hand-drawn rather than simply generated. Most muds have thousands of rooms, so this would require quite a lot of effort.

But if you're really interested in this sort of thing, you might want to take a look at the MUSHclient miniwindows showcase - in particular try doing a CTRL-F find for "Another bigmap", and you can see an example of superimposing the player location onto a hand-drawn map.

Most muds tend to focus on server-side features though, while graphics are very much a client-side thing - traditionally speaking, muds usually leave the choice of client up to the player. However this has been gradually changing over the years, with an increasing number of muds offering custom clients, or designing features tailored to an existing client, which they then recommend to the players.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #37
warkeolien
New Member
 
warkeolien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
warkeolien is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
You could also try Maiden Desmodus, it has a rather nice browser-based client with a built-in map, and balance-based combat similar to your earlier example.

There are a few clients that have automappers, and those will work with most muds. It would also be pretty easy to create a MUSHclient plugin that used maps like those in your screenshots, although of course someone would still need to create the maps if they're hand-drawn rather than simply generated. Most muds have thousands of rooms, so this would require quite a lot of effort.

But if you're really interested in this sort of thing, you might want to take a look at the MUSHclient miniwindows showcase - in particular try doing a CTRL-F find for "Another bigmap", and you can see an example of superimposing the player location onto a hand-drawn map.

Most muds tend to focus on server-side features though, while graphics are very much a client-side thing - traditionally speaking, muds usually leave the choice of client up to the player. However this has been gradually changing over the years, with an increasing number of muds offering custom clients, or designing features tailored to an existing client, which they then recommend to the players.
Hello, This looks like some golden information, for a map junky like me. Would this be something easy to do for a non coding person?

For example, could I fire up mushclient and simply click map? Or is there going to be coding involved? Does the mud itself have to support the map function/feature or just a client?

Im kinda familiar with mushclient from using it on aardwolf, but I didn't think I could use those type plugins on other muds.

If I could make my own custom UI's like the one's you listed in that link, I could finally try out some of those muds that dont offer maps of my liking (dont have to be pretty, like the screenshots. a simple 4x4 or 3x3 text map is fine). The kind that follows me when I move is the only truely kind Im looking for. Everything else is just a plus.
warkeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #38
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
Hello, This looks like some golden information, for a map junky like me. Would this be something easy to do for a non coding person?
The screenshots in the link were done through plugins, most (all?) of which are available for download. Creating your own would require some coding ability though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
For example, could I fire up mushclient and simply click map? Or is there going to be coding involved? Does the mud itself have to support the map function/feature or just a client?
You'd have to download and add the plugin, and the better mappers do typically require mud-side support. However there are also automappers that work without mud-side support, such as those provided by TinTin++, zMUD, GNOME-Mud, Kmud, KMuddy, Portal, etc. Some of these automappers are better than others, but as a map junky you may find they're good enough for your purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
Im kinda familiar with mushclient from using it on aardwolf, but I didn't think I could use those type plugins on other muds.
Aardwolf supports protocols designed to make client/plugin development easier. A few other muds offer the same sort of thing, but not many. Hopefully that will change in the future, but if you've got a favourite mud you could always try talking to the owner, perhaps even suggest they read this thread, and see if they're interested in offering a nicer interface for their players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warkeolien View Post
If I could make my own custom UI's like the one's you listed in that link, I could finally try out some of those muds that dont offer maps of my liking (dont have to be pretty, like the screenshots. a simple 4x4 or 3x3 text map is fine). The kind that follows me when I move is the only truely kind Im looking for. Everything else is just a plus.
Automappers without mud-side support can only show where you've been, although they record this information, and in time can map out the entire mud. If the mud has some sort of ASCII map of its own, you could use that data to draw a prettier map. However as I mentioned before, the easiest muds to draw maps for are those that support protocols for transmiting out-of-band data, as you can just use the data to draw maps like this:

KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #39
Dsixx
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Dsixx is on a distinguished road
Re: Please Help Find!

Does anyone still post here? i'm an Old old DF/ DFC player as well been looking for a remake or a Mud just like it... searched the net for years, never found anything like it... oh i miss home so much... if anyone remembers and old Dark Prophet, Doomweaver, Orc Shaman the Hand of Ra'kur, or Kajin Chaos wizard Ogre i really wish i could connect with someone of the old players like i said i miss home, spent more than 8 years playing DF wish i could find anything just remotely like it, if anyone knows of anything of the likes please by all means contact me....

Justin aka Doom aka Sixx
Dsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Help Find!

If they are roleplayers they are likely on New Worlds Ateraan. Come on by, make yourself a new home, and say Hi! You will end up getting hooked and become a huge fan!

If not, you might try Iron Realms Games, God Wars II, or Materia Magica.

Good Luck, welcome back, and happy holidays!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014