Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #81
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 843
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

The only Armageddon style mud I've ever heard of is Armageddon. And even that isn't truly an Armageddon-style mud, since the original Armageddon was a hack-n-slash, which converted itself into an RPI after the fact. However, the codebase of Armageddon does pattern itself after Diku and in fact has sprung off from diku, with many enhancements. I don't believe Shadows of Isildur uses the same codebase, or the same crafting system, SoI has an entire OOC AREA of the game where Armageddon does not. In Harshlands, I believe it is acceptable to treat NPCs walking around in the street as "mobs" whereas in both SoI and Armageddon this is not acceptable.

So what game is like Armageddon, that there would be Armageddon-style games, of the plural variety?
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #82
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So what game is like Armageddon, that there would be Armageddon-style games, of the plural variety?
I think you know what I meant, as does everyone else. I am not a pro or anti-RPI zealot, so there's no need to get aggressive or take offense.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #83
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I think you know what I meant, as does everyone else. I am not a pro or anti-RPI zealot, so there's no need to get aggressive or take offense.
If memory serves, I think we started using the ARM style games annotation because ARM was the first of that genre that used the styles most of the others ended up following. Hence the usage of an ARM MUD vs. an RPI.

I'd hate this thread to turn into another RPI argument session, though I think it already has.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #84
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milawe View Post
I never thought of it that way!

Hopefully, you didn't take what I said as some sort of "your opinion doesn't matter here" just because your game is newer. I was just thinking it may be why you had not encountered as much of the whole "real life just gets in the way" thing yet though I'm sure that you've seen some already.
Not at all, I understood exactly what you meant and took no offense. And yes, I've seen some of what you describe.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #85
Parhelion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Name: Sarah
Location: Tempe, AZ
Home MUD: Ethos
Posts: 71
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
Can you say the same of these folks? Not bloody likely.
I recommended Shadows of Isildur to an individual new to MUDing no more than 48 hours ago.

I later recommended he check Armageddon MUD, Accursed Lands (non-RPI), and Iron Realms (which I actually actively boycott) because I believe he may find them fun.

I do recognize that not everyone agrees with my definition of fun; however, I stand by my opinions voiced during the "are chat channels necessary" discussion because I have yet to be handed the research I requested.

Your sly attempt of going, "Teehee, I'm better than the are!" just failed. Good try, though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela
Your point was to get your name, and therefore the name of your game, on each of the "most recent posts" lists on the main page of TMS. This is what you do every 10 days or so, it's a pattern that regular viewers don't fail to notice. You're not fooling anyone.
Hehehe. I got a chuckle out of this simply because someone else said almost this very thing to me about NWA's postings this morning in an off-topic discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds
Oh incidentally, I post probably about every other day or so. Where have you been?
Some people don't need to proverbially hear the sound of their own voice to know they are contributing to the community as a whole.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
Laying absolute claim to the acronym RPI is already a hotly contested debate. But you certainly can't also lay claim to the phrase "roleplay intensive" for Armageddon Style MUDs.
It's probably because it's 2am, but I didn't quite understand this statement.

Due to my work with the RPMud Network, I have come to accept the definition of "RPI" to mean a game that meets certain qualifiers: as such, I am going to continue promoting that definition. That definition does, in fact, include Armageddon-Styed MUDs. (I would like to a list of qualifiers, but I'm posting against the clock! -- Laptop battery is dying fast.)


Quote:
=Jazuela]The only Armageddon style mud I've ever heard of is Armageddon. And even that isn't truly an Armageddon-style mud, since the original Armageddon was a hack-n-slash, which converted itself into an RPI after the fact. However, the codebase of Armageddon does pattern itself after Diku and in fact has sprung off from diku, with many enhancements. I don't believe Shadows of Isildur uses the same codebase, or the same crafting system, SoI has an entire OOC AREA of the game where Armageddon does not. In Harshlands, I believe it is acceptable to treat NPCs walking around in the street as "mobs" whereas in both SoI and Armageddon this is not acceptable.

So what game is like Armageddon, that there would be Armageddon-style games, of the plural variety?
The term as it is most popularly pushed does not refer to the codebase.

It actually refers to a set of criterion that MUDs must meet. What that criteria IS precisely is what is most often debated, because many MUDs "almost" make the list and then debate the points on which they fall short. The term suffers mostly because it became synonymous with "success", when it actually has nothing to do with that.

An example of criteria includes a total lack of OOC channels (thus the channel debate); pure/mandator permadeath; involved character applications; etc...

And again, I will admit that I personally will continue to push that set of criteria, as there is no sense in trying to dilute it or change and make MUD categorization more "nebulous" or confusing as it already is. There are other ways to describe other types of games (such as RPE, or the token recently introduced by Proff "RPO" to describe RP MUDs that have been heavily modified to be unique but have a different feature set than the RPIs).


EDITED -- I managed to catch up on this thread with some time to spare, so I went and grabbed the current list of features which would be required for any game to be categorized as an "RPI" on the RPMud Network. (And yes, since this site is outside of that network, no one is required to follow them or even acknowledge them here... but when I say "RPI", this is what I mean.)
  1. Strict in-character behavior enforcement: Players are expected to remain in-character at all times while in the game and speak and act as their character would (exceptions existing only for issues of emergency assistance). This feature is found in RPOs and RPEs as well.
  2. World-driven code: RPIs are designed around the philosophy that code design follows world design. Rather than the characteristics and nature of the game’s world conforming to the parameters and features of the code, RPIs’ adapt the code to fit the needs of the world’s characteristics.
  3. Mechanics-based world and use-based advancement: RPIs employ code where possible to simulate the mechanics and chances of success in things such as communication (ie, understanding languages), combat, or production of articles (ie, crafting).
  4. Use-based advancement: RPIs employ use-based advancement of skills and abilities in place of traditional methods of point allocation. Use of a skill or ability is the only way to improve that skill or ability, either through direct use or via crafts.
  5. Descriptive, generalized skill aptitude and abilities/attributes: A character’s aptitude in the skills they possess is represented through descriptive, generalized terms which prevent precision in assessment and advancement. Likewise, a character’s physical and mental attributes such as strength and intelligence are represented by descriptive, generalized terms to prevent precise assessment.
  6. An enhanced emote system: RPIs feature a system of emotes and similar commands by which actions not dictated by code functions may be carried out.
  7. Permanent character death: With the exception of non-IC-related incidents, death is permanent and typical MUD resurrection systems are not present.
  8. Lack of global out-of-character (OOC) channels for player use: Use of semi-global channels is limited in range and function and all OOC channels are restricted only for limited staff use.
  9. Lack of a detailed “who” list: The traditional “who” command is limited by removing a list of players or characters online and showing only total numbers online or via complete removal of this function altogether
  10. Detailed character creation and staff approval: Players are expected to submit detailed characters with full descriptions and personality backgrounds subject to approval before entering the game.
  11. Lack of levels: Traditional MUD levels are not employed by RPIs.
  12. Lack of traditional mud-classes: Traditional, confining code-based classes found on most MUDs, typically used to categorize character types, are absent from RPIs. Some RPIs use “classes” or “professions” which serve merely as tools for skill selection but which do not require adherence or limitation only to those skills and professions.
  13. Lack of experience point systems: RPIs feature a complete lack of “experience point” systems (XP).
  14. Description-based identities: Characters are only identifiable by descriptions and other information that could be gleaned through observation alone.
  15. Description-based objects: Objects feature descriptions which are used to judge their quality or identity (for example, no “Sword of Billy the Merciless”).
  16. Described rooms: RPIs feature rooms with detailed IC descriptions.
  17. Detailed world design: RPIs feature comprehensive world designs encompassing the various aspects of socio-cultural characteristics of the setting. These include but are not limited to political, historical, economic, and religious systems which provide players with depth to the setting and a clear framework in which their character exists.
  18. Single character per player: RPIs possess a policy limiting players to possession of one character at a time and multi-playing is strictly forbidden.
  19. In-character situation-dependant killing: Killing is restricted to require in-character motivations for the killing of PCs and NPCs. The goal of RPIs is not to kill to advance or to kill without regard for the setting and situation (ie, laws and justifiable reason to break such laws

Last edited by Parhelion : 09-12-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #86
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Couple of things Parhelion.

1st, you should probably post when you are awake. Your posts are long and many times nonsensicle, especially when you are half awake.

2nd, Posting that you recommended a few Muds from RPI Network isn't what I'm talking about. My meaning was that all of the games I have recommended that are RPIs have never recipricated over the years. There was no "tee hee" involved. Grow up a little, kay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
It's probably because it's 2am, but I didn't quite understand this statement.
You didn't understand this statement from Threshold because you likely didn't read the massively huge threads on this very topic. As a member of the RPMUD Network Operating Committee you should familiarize yourself with these threads as every thing you said below this statement has been stated many many times and argued many many times and few of us want to see the argument or argue with you again about it.

I could be wrong, their may be those that do wish to bring up this tired subject again, but I'm not one of them. If you need the thread links for your perusal, here they are:

1. This thread was a beginning argument on the term RPI and went haywire:
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/ad...s-rpi-mud.html

2. This thread was an attempt to discuss the term:
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/ta...-roleplay.html

3. This thread was a spoof on the entire topic:
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/ro...-standard.html

Enjoy the reading it will make you laugh, cry, and hurl.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #87
Parhelion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Name: Sarah
Location: Tempe, AZ
Home MUD: Ethos
Posts: 71
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds View Post
Couple of things Parhelion.

1st, you should probably post when you are awake. Your posts are long and many times nonsensicle, especially when you are half awake.
Oh my, was that an attempt at an insult?

I prefer making a long post that addresses quotes in the order that they appeared in the thread, as opposed to making numerous singleton replies like SOMEBODY else in this thread, which accomplishes nothing except boosting post count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds
2nd, Posting that you recommended a few Muds from RPI Network isn't what I'm talking about. My meaning was that all of the games I have recommended that are RPIs have never recipricated over the years. There was no "tee hee" involved. Grow up a little, kay.
Sorry, there was a "tee hee" involved, but you obviously didn't get the sarcasm.

To begin with, I did not recommend MUDs to a player because they are from the RPMud Network. If you had payed attention to my post at all, you will have noticed I mentioned some games for which there are no plans (to my knowledge) to include in RPMud's listings. Furthermore, I made a point to explain that I actually detested one group of games (IRE's) and STILL recommended it because your original post was worded in such a way as to insinuate that you take the high road and we (Prof and myself) do not. This is an attempt at staining our characters without any basis.

I've been encouraged to be blunt, so I shall, since this parade goes on across several threads. To all the innocent readers out there, I'm going to apologize ahead of time. Please excuse the teeth.

Newworlds, you make an active attempt to defame RPIs every opportunity you get through what you probably consider are clever methods. Furthermore, anytime the RPMud Network comes up, you -generally- have something rather acidic to say, and you word your posts in such a way as to insinuate that all members of the RPMud Network committee all act and think the same way. You clap your hands with "Way to go!"s when directly addressing someone, but you're still virtually sneering while you do it.

You have some weird issue with Prof. I get it. He's an RPI nerd, and you're butt-hurt that he tends to engage you in ways that you don't like. Although I have been a long-time member of this community for several years, my recent involvement with RPMud Network, and my subsequent promotion of it, has led you to spew drivel about my bias activities at least twice now -- even though my posting activity has not been particularly high the past, and my broader social network is mostly made up of developers of H&S and RPE games. Not that you'd know, of course. Your opinion on the entire group is based on the activities of Prof and myself, as we are prolific posters and we both tend to personally favor RPIs -- but if you actually stopped and bothered to look into the committee, you'll find most of its members don't even LIKE RPIs. As a whole, we are trying to represent all roleplaying games, including RPE games, and MUSHs, MUCKs, and other MU*s.

While I understand that things like this are not immediately clear because we do not yet have an active internet presence, I'm quite honestly getting tired of you trying to pop holes in a legitimate attempt at community building -- an attempt that YOU could actually benefit from -- just because you don't like Prof.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newworlds
You didn't understand this statement from Threshold because you likely didn't read the massively huge threads on this very topic. As a member of the RPMUD Network Operating Committee you should familiarize yourself with these threads as every thing you said below this statement has been stated many many times and argued many many times and few of us want to see the argument or argue with you again about it.
No. I did not understand the statement from Threshold because it didn't make grammatical sense to me. I am well aware of the RPI Debates and their contents -- if you expect me to follow every little tidbit sewn by yourself and Threshold, you're mistaken. He's a good admin, but I've got better things to do with my time than hang onto his -- or your -- every word on every thread ever.


Originally Posted by Threshold
"But you certainly can't also lay claim to the phrase "roleplay intensive" for Armageddon Style MUDs."

Since you and he both seem to be confused on you use MUD terms, I'll help you out:
Acronym: R P I
Meaning: RolePlaying Intensive
Thread Title:"Veterans of Roleplaying Intensive MUDs"

So yes. When the acronym is accepted to mean a certain thing, it STILL means that certain thing even when you spell it out.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #88
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

As many threads dealing with RPIs have gone in the past, so has this one. I'll be bowing out now, because I don't believe that this thread will return to being on-topic, and because I don't have the patience for another admin flame war.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #89
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonathinFrye View Post
As many threads dealing with RPIs have gone in the past, so has this one. I'll be bowing out now, because I don't believe that this thread will return to being on-topic, and because I don't have the patience for another admin flame war.
I think I will join you in your exit. I thought to respond with a long rebuttle but it is clear to me that no reasonable discussion on this topic can be had.

I will make one comment though. Proph1515 and DonathinFrye, the previous poster insinuated that I was trying to defame RPI's and I have something against you personally. This thread and my comments here were not meant in any way to defame, insult, or demean you or your games in any fashion.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #90
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 843
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I like pudding on my RPIs. Chocolate. With sprinkles.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #91
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
if you expect me to follow every little tidbit sewn by yourself and Threshold,
I have to say it again:

Not so fast, my friend!

Newworlds speaks for himself, and himself alone. He doesn't speak for me, we aren't a "team", and we don't even agree on a lot of things related to this issue. If you want to debate a point I have made, I'm happy to read what you have to say and possibly be educated or have my mind changed. I simply ask that you think of me as my own person with my own views, not part of a cabal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
He's a good admin
Aw shucks. *blush* Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
Since you and he both seem to be confused on you use MUD terms, I'll help you out:
Acronym: R P I
Meaning: RolePlaying Intensive
Thread Title:"Veterans of Roleplaying Intensive MUDs"

So yes. When the acronym is accepted to mean a certain thing, it STILL means that certain thing even when you spell it out.
I know what the terms mean. I also know that the RPI/ARM folks consider those acronyms to refer to a very specific, very rigid set of game features. But trying to lay claim to the spelled out words themselves strikes me as a bit delusional and excessive.

Out of respect for people to whom "RPI" has a very specific meaning, I do not call Threshold or Primordiax an RPI. But if asked, I would definitely describe both games as roleplay intensive. I would not appreciate someone saying "you can't say your games are roleplay intensive, to use that phrase you have to have game features X, Y, and Z." Telling me I cannot use two basic words that do in fact accurately describe my games would be totally illogical and inappropriate in my view.

I should add that I would shy away from the phrase "roleplay intensive" anyway. Not because I agree that those 2 words used together require a certain set of features, but because I make games to bring happiness to people - not to score points in ancient, drawn out arguments that have unnecessarily divided our community.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #92
Parhelion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Name: Sarah
Location: Tempe, AZ
Home MUD: Ethos
Posts: 71
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I like pudding on my RPIs. Chocolate. With sprinkles.
Only if its vanilla RPI.

With crushed oreos.


And to Threshold, I want to apologize for dragging you into my last post; my primary objective was to address Newworlds and publicly call out some of his... what I shall call, "bull****"... that often gets spread around these forums in one way or another. In particular, the very end portion of my post was unnecessarily venomous.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #93
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
Only if its vanilla RPI.

With crushed oreos.


And to Threshold, I want to apologize for dragging you into my last post; my primary objective was to address Newworlds and publicly call out some of his... what I shall call, "bull****"... that often gets spread around these forums in one way or another. In particular, the very end portion of my post was unnecessarily venomous.
Why don't you and Threshold just kiss and make up? Maybe you will make him blush again (gag). I held back from getting involved even when Delerak suddenly returned from the madhouse and Jazuela came out of the closet, but who needed them when we now have emo girl? New Worlds, don't listen to this babbling idiot. She didn't read the old threads at all or she wouldn't be spewing her own BS from the apple box. She is just angry that the roleplaymud network is a group of haters and want all to hate in kind. Next time you want to spew forth your ideas please utilize facts instead of RPI promotional dung.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #94
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 653
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
She is just angry that the roleplaymud network is a group of haters and want all to hate in kind. Next time you want to spew forth your ideas please utilize facts instead of RPI promotional dung.
You're kidding, right?

Looking back at your posts, 80% of them are hating on Brody and Otherspace or other people. If you want to talk about facts, you should learn some. RPMud consists of a New Worlds player and a Threshold player as well. Both of those are not RPI muds. In fact, the admins of both of those games tend to take an opposing stance in game design to a lot of traditional RPI game mechanics and theories.

Seriously, New Worlds would be dumb to take your advice. It's never smart to not listen to anyone whose posts consists of calling someone an "babbling idiot","emo girl", and gagging because people decided to play nice instead of flaming the snot out of each other. Sorry, you don't run a successful mud by being dumb.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #95
Anjanas
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
Anjanas is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milawe View Post
You're kidding, right?

Looking back at your posts, 80% of them are hating on Brody and Otherspace or other people. If you want to talk about facts, you should learn some. RPMud consists of a New Worlds player and a Threshold player as well. Both of those are not RPI muds. In fact, the admins of both of those games tend to take an opposing stance in game design to a lot of traditional RPI game mechanics and theories.

Seriously, New Worlds would be dumb to take your advice. It's never smart to not listen to anyone whose posts consists of calling someone an "babbling idiot","emo girl", and gagging because people decided to play nice instead of flaming the snot out of each other. Sorry, you don't run a successful mud by being dumb.
Why would I be kidding? Everytime these people begin flinging their rpi crap, flame wars ensue. Why do you think that is? When you play nice with idiots you become an idiot. That is why I suggested to ignore emo girl. Which is good advice.
Anjanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #96
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 653
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjanas View Post
Why would I be kidding? Everytime these people begin flinging their rpi crap, flame wars ensue. Why do you think that is? When you play nice with idiots you become an idiot. That is why I suggested to ignore emo girl. Which is good advice.
I could almost be convinced to agree with you except they didn't start this thread. I wouldn't go as far as to suggest New Worlds was setting out flame bait, but surely, the pattern has been established for long enough that we all knew where this thread would go.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #97
chaosprime
Member
 
chaosprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Home MUD: Lost Souls
Posts: 199
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milawe View Post
In fact, the admins of both of those games tend to take an opposing stance in game design to a lot of traditional RPI game mechanics and theories.
Hey, I don't supposed you'd go into a little detail about what mechanics and theories those are? I'm rather curious.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #98
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonathinFrye View Post
A) To Prof: You and I just have different generations of opinion on how to re-create a vital RPI and maintain a high quality of roleplay. Anyone who knows me knows that story and roleplay are not to be compromised for marketing reasons, in my opinion. I can accept our difference of opinions, and hope that your game is successful when it releases.
Good luck to you on your game as well. I'll eventually give it a look when it's open but you won't know it's me. It'll probably be for the purpose of a review for RPMUD or something. :-D
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #99
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milawe View Post
I could almost be convinced to agree with you except they didn't start this thread. I wouldn't go as far as to suggest New Worlds was setting out flame bait, but surely, the pattern has been established for long enough that we all knew where this thread would go.
I actually didn't think this particular thread would start a flame war as it was originally about previous veteran gamers. But really, I wish this arguing would stop. It is childish and that is all I will say. I don't agree with Anjanis but I don't disagree either other than to say name calling isn't needed. Parhelion has their own agenda I'm guessing.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #100
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I've been very sporadic at looking in on this thread because it's meandered too much from the original topic. The original post was inquiring about the views of veterans of Role-Play Intensive MUDs. It wasn't about what constitutes "hard" fantasy. It wasn't about whether or not one likes OOC channels. It wasn't about any of that crap. The reason the thread began to have problems is because it diverged from the topic about which it was posted and people who weren't veterans of Role-Play Intensive MUDs decided to toss their views in. No offense to anyone but if you're not a veteran of RPIs, why reply to this thread?

Want to keep threads from turning into flame wars? Here's a simple bit of advice:

YouTube - Stay on Target!

Saw what happened to them? That's what happens to too many threads when people don't take Gold Leader's advice.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014