Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Borsk
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Borsk is on a distinguished road
Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

This mud has great potential, a decent player base, and some pretty good people that are willing to help out others. There is just one problem that stands in the way and could possibly ruin this game from having any future: Marky. This egotistical maniac suffers from some sort of power-trip. If you are that low in life that you have to set yourself up on a pedestal on some text-based game, then it is obvious you suffer from some outcast-of-society issues. I have to assume that he was the loser who got the crap kicked out of him everyday by his High School football team and now he takes out his anger on people behind his computer screen. Every time I see this guy post something on comlink its usually to degrade a player..why? Isn't he supposed to be one of the top admins for this MUD, so wouldn't it be safe to assume that he should treat people with respect? I understand this is a service being provided for free but that doesn't justify anything. This MUD just lost a loyal gamer who has really enjoyed it for years and was wanting to for even more, but this sorry good for nothing has ruined that with his lack of respect. I have been playing MUDs since I was a young kid and never have I been on one where the Administrators had such little respect and negativity for the players who participated. Marky, grow up pal, get a life outside your bedroom and live a little. It's no wonder I see reviews posted on Mud sites of how terrible an Admin Marky is. I plan to write a review for every mud site there is warning to stay far away from this game as long as Marky is around wasting everyone's time.
Borsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Reminds me of a Game I once enjoyed playing...

But I do need to ask, is this game under license by LucasFilm--or what ever his holding company is named that controls Star Wars?

If so, send the company (or the Man himself) a letter describing this administrator's actions as destroying the quality of the Game.

And have your evidence ready to submit for review by the powers that be.


Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Borsk
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Borsk is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Thanks for the reply and good idea. Unfortunately I don't think that this MUD is licensed under LucasArts otherwise this would be an action I would take. And since it's free then they probably aren't violating any copyright laws. Honestly, I don't want the MUD to be shut down I just want this guy to be removed from Administration I feel he ruins any enjoyment anyone can get from this game because he lacks any maturity or leadership, basically its like trying to play a game that a 12 year old is running.
Borsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
dentin
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Home MUD: Alter Aeon
Posts: 245
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

*facepalm*

Darren's point was that unless they have a license from LucasArts, they -are- violating copyright. Since odds are good that they don't in fact have a license, they are very much in trouble. LucasArts isn't the kind of company to sit around and let people do things like this without permission.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsk View Post
Thanks for the reply and good idea. Unfortunately I don't think that this MUD is licensed under LucasArts otherwise this would be an action I would take. And since it's free then they probably aren't violating any copyright laws. Honestly, I don't want the MUD to be shut down I just want this guy to be removed from Administration I feel he ruins any enjoyment anyone can get from this game because he lacks any maturity or leadership, basically its like trying to play a game that a 12 year old is running.
Then in this case, I would directly go to the MUD's owner/operator/host and file with him. Nobody should have to play under an admin like the one you discribed, I had to deal with that at Marrach who deliberately went out of his way to protect the favored there by blocking the evidence I had on her. This person is one of the reasons why Eternea was born.

Its possible to remove Marky, but you gotta have your proofs ready to go and in order for the Site owner to look over...Just as I have to start getting mine together against Marrach.

I'd check with LucusArts anyway. If it uses all of the elements found in the Start Wars universe without permission (even if t's free), then they are in violation of copyright or in some form of it. While Lucus protects his property, he doesn't go out of his way to 'stamp out' people who make games based on his work.
In fact, he may give it a look and if he likes how its set up may just make an offer to the sites owners for support.
But I figure if he catches Marky in the act he's gone.





Good Luck

Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 09-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Borsk
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Borsk is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Heres an incident that just happened today when trying to log on just to play the game. Basically what happened was the other day I asked over the gossip channel if anyone knew if Best Buy had SATA convertors, this dude immediately blasted me talking about how dumb I was that I would even purchase anything from Best Buy anyways, then he told me he looked it up in about 30 seconds and said I was a dumbass for not finding it myself. I asked if he could copy the link he said go look it up yourself you lazy ****. At this point I fired off and was like just give me the link, he then proceeded to delete my character that I had spent about two weeks on. Today I tried logging on a new character minding my own business, he summons me into aggro zones repeatedly getting me killed. I told him I was going to report him to LucasArts due to his lack of respect for the community, heres his response completely unedited by me:

20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
Marky says, 'man you have got to be the dumbest piece of **** I've ever met'

Opponent: / Tank:
20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
You feel a strange presence as Wyld appears, seemingly from nowhere.

Opponent: / Tank:
20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
Marky says, 'go ****ing report us to whoever you want'

Opponent: / Tank:
20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
Wyld says, 'we're already cleared by lucasarts.'

Opponent: / Tank:
20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
Marky says, 'lucasarts can suck my dick'

Opponent: / Tank:
20(20)hitp 30(30)forcep 24(24)move>
Marky says, 'you are just a dumb mother ****er'
Borsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Report Marky to LucusArts and the MUD's Owner, using the log file you've posted here.

Do not pass GO, do not collect the $200 dollars...Just can him.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
exohuman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
exohuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Yikes, that's just ugly. There is no reason to be that nasty. Why would you even want to play this game anymore? I would quit a game for far less.
exohuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
Borsk
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Borsk is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Because I really enjoy the game been playin it for years I just can't stand this guy. I sent a copy of the log to LucasArts waiting to hear back from them to see what they have to say. Unfortunately this isn't much proof as anyone can simply edit a log to say whatever..although this IS completely unedited.
Borsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
Erisine
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21
Erisine is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

You are probably better off moving on and finding a game that you can grow to enjoy as much as that one. I would try to look around and see if there are other players in your community who have been done the same way and see if they have found some other gems.

The plain and simple truth is that SWRJ is a blip on the radar of LucasArts. They may very well get around to putting a steely legal boot far up their arses, and when that time comes, the game will likely get a cease order and will be shut down either way. That's just how it goes.

In the meanwhile, it doesn't do you a whole lot of good to post logs or call out individual admin on a public forum -- the reason being is that it makes you look like a squealer, regardless of whether or not you have a legitimate claim or not. It's unfortunate, but MUDs are pretty bad about this kind of drama. The best thing you can do, for more immediate action, would be to submit the log to the head administrator for the game -- the guy that pays the bills. If he thinks the behavior is out of line, he will do something. If he doesn't care, then it's just another sign that you should move along. One Marky will just be replaced by another one.

Their loss -- your time and support -- is another game's gain. There's lots of struggling games out there that have EXCELLENT features and tons of work put into them, and are led by friendly and ethical staff. Support them, and leave the twits to their own devices.
Erisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsk View Post
Because I really enjoy the game been playin it for years I just can't stand this guy. I sent a copy of the log to LucasArts waiting to hear back from them to see what they have to say. Unfortunately this isn't much proof as anyone can simply edit a log to say whatever..although this IS completely unedited.

Actually, if Marky is deliberately singleing you out by deliberately sending your character into areas that will get them killed; that is hands down harrassment. That plus his attitude are enought for the MUD's owner to not only send him on his way but to make certain that any replacements don't have simular attitudes.

But if this doesn't work, then its best to leave. Find another Star Wars MUD with the same features and support it. But do stay in touch with your friends at the old site....Maybe you can bring them all over to the new game, leaving abusive Marky behind to sow his demise.

Either for profit or fun, any MUD is a business and needs be run as such. If the Owner wants to keep it going, then they much lay down the law with such arrent employees as Marky--or let then destroy the place.

Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 09-27-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,384
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

1st, there are a plethora of Star Wars MUDS out there, try another one.

2nd, even though everything you say may be 100% truth, I'm hesitant to agree with you without hearing from the admin or a staff member or at least another player from the game.

3rd, It is poor form to simply bash a game here unless this is your only recourse and you have attempted other avenues of resolution. Many times an admin knows much more of a situation that the player involved and sometimes there can be misunderstandings.

Dealing with well over 100 players constantly on the game, me and my staff must handle many such issues that likely from a players pov seem unfair but in the realm of the game are not. I am not saying this is the case with you, I'm just giving you insight as to how the administration may be thinking of you.

In any event, I suggest your best option is what I said 1st. The best way to tell an admin how you feel about their attitude is to walk out the door. If he/she really is that bad, the multiple door slammings will be the best notification.

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Brawndel
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 35
Brawndel is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

I started playing sw/rotj about four months ago.
The game is extremely fun and addicting, but yeah Marky is a little overboard.
The problem is that he's like the main coder as far as I know, and he has helped to really improve the game. I think he's been a little extra stressed lately, since I know that his wife just had a baby a couple of months ago. He deffinetly doesn't take any bs, but he does take it too far a lot of the time. His title is something like Marky : purging people for asking for anything.

Anyway, it's a tough situation, and most of us just know to avoid Marky as much as possible.
Brawndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawndel View Post
I started playing sw/rotj about four months ago.
The game is extremely fun and addicting, but yeah Marky is a little overboard.
The problem is that he's like the main coder as far as I know, and he has helped to really improve the game. I think he's been a little extra stressed lately, since I know that his wife just had a baby a couple of months ago. He deffinetly doesn't take any bs, but he does take it too far a lot of the time. His title is something like Marky : purging people for asking for anything.

Anyway, it's a tough situation, and most of us just know to avoid Marky as much as possible.

Perhaps you should make the suggestion to the Games Admin that Markry needs to step away for a while because its obivious being a new father is really driving him to the Dark Side.

Turst me, I have three older brothers with children--and its stressful, even for the rest of the family to deel with them. If Marky refuses to take BS, lord only knows what he'll do if he gets it from his child. He's gotta chill out and take time off form the game to bond with his newborn, otherwise he's going to have trouble later on.

The game will still be there, an he's not the only coder. Bu he's gotta get his house in order if he wants to continue.

Just don't yell back at him when suggesting uch.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
IZDemon
Member
 
IZDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Home MUD: Shattered Isles
Posts: 56
IZDemon is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Where does this information come from in regards violating copyrights? I was not aware that there are copyright laws against creating a free MUD. I can make an independant MOVIE based on the Star Wars universe and as long as I do not make a profit from it, I can show it anyplace I want. Why is a MUD different?
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
Orrin
Member
 
Orrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Name: Matt
Posts: 141
Orrin is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZDemon View Post
Where does this information come from in regards violating copyrights? I was not aware that there are copyright laws against creating a free MUD. I can make an independant MOVIE based on the Star Wars universe and as long as I do not make a profit from it, I can show it anyplace I want. Why is a MUD different?
In the case of Star Wars, I believe Lucasarts have given permission for non-commercial use of their ip provided it doesn't harm their brand image. In general however, just because your MUD (or movie) is non-commercial it doesn't give you the right to use someone else's copyrighted work without their permission.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
In the case of Star Wars, I believe Lucasarts have given permission for non-commercial use of their ip provided it doesn't harm their brand image. In general however, just because your MUD (or movie) is non-commercial it doesn't give you the right to use someone else's copyrighted work without their permission.

This is in a way simular to FanFiction, but not authors allow their fans 'fun' with their characters. Anne Rice is one such author, FanFiction.com keeps a running list of whose works can be made into Fan Fiction.

But the matter of Marky is serious enough to turn people away from the game. He's gotta be set down and made to understand the harm he's causing.


Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,241
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

If you have a bad experience on a game, the best thing to do is just quit and find a new game.

Trashing it on a forum somewhere is usually a bad idea and bad form.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
Marky
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Marky is on a distinguished road
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

I'm not going to dignify Borks's personal insults and false allegations here, it's neither the time nor the place for it.

I will instead say this:

Borsk's situation is one of his own creation, he was purged and banned from Revenge of the Jedi MUD for behavioral issues, and has decided to run around blasting us because we no longer let him play our game.

(sorry, we don't let people openly disrespect, cuss out, and insult the volunteer staff of our free game if this is a problem for people then by all means, don't bother stopping by our MUD)

We have an extremely friendly staff. They put in hundreds of hours every year of their personal time to make an exciting and friendly environment for our players. They enjoy helping newbies and are always willing to listen if you have a problem.

We welcome new players, and have just recently completely revamped our newbie zone to be completely immersive and interactive.

Our Custom EQ system is both unique and highly versatile.

We have randomly generated eq that can potentially load on almost every single mob in the game, and can be upgraded with parts from our custom eq system.

We have over 30k rooms.

We have an extensive autoquest system that is expanding on a regular basis, with quest shops where you can spend your rewards.

We have a customizable character system that lets you continue to purchase skills and bonuses for your character well beyond the normal leveling system. There is always something for you to be able to do once your character has been maxed under the normal exp gathering grind.

We are not affiliated in any way shape or form with Lucasarts, we are a fansite, nothing more.

Our MUD has been around for over 15 years now, and we plan to keep it running for another 15 or 20 more.

Hope you stop by and check us out!

Marky
Head Administrator, Head Coder, Co-Owner of
STAR WARS: Revenge of the Jedi MUD

rotjmud.com:9400

Last edited by Marky : 11-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,384
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Stay away from Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi MUD

I'll give you points just because your name is Marky
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014