Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Spifftastic
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Spifftastic is on a distinguished road
Recommend an RP MU*

Anyone know of a good RP MU* that has a decent population? (minimum 15-20 players).

I've played RP MUSHes pretty much exclusively, and that's what I'm looking for. More of a writing exercise. Light on stats, zero mobs. I used to play Otherspace, and while that's a great game, I'm really looking for something different. If you know Otherspace, you know my tastes.

I'm not the biggest fan of World of Darkness, but most everything else is fair game.

Hope I'm not being too picky; and it really looks like the pickings are slim. Am I out of luck?
Spifftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Ironclaw appears to be make a slow recovery from what Star Wars:Old Republic did to it, but is when you get on to play (usually mid to late afternoon, to get the significant number of players on-line as well.

Staffer Ditto usually comes up with a plot about once a week, and from what I've herd from the other players they're never boring. They are always player cooperative, with no favorism occuring. So if you're there, you are in it--not like a Game I've bashed here.


Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 05-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Ghostcat
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Posts: 135
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Brimhall View Post
Ironclaw appears to be make a slow recovery from what Star Wars:Old Republic did to it, but is when you get on to play (usually mid to late afternoon, to get the significant number of players on-line as well.

Staffer Ditto usually comes up with a plot about once a week, and from what I've herd from the other players they're never boring. They are always player cooperative, with no favorism occuring. So if you're there, you are in it--not like a Game I've bashed here.


Darren Brimhall
Just keep in mind that it's a pay-to-play. The first month is free though! (Also everyone is an anthropomorphic animal person)
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Kitriana
Member
 
Kitriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Home MUD: genesismud.org 3011
Posts: 31
Kitriana is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

since I was just posting about this.. I'll go ahead and plug Genesis --

Why a RPer might like Genesis :
-Roleplaying is encouraged but not enforced. No scripted events. Those not RPing don't talk about ooc things in game - but might just run off to hack slash.
-Pkilling is allowed - but enforced to no newbie killing or mass slaughters. Pkills are structured around rp - There is no Perma Death.
-Immersion environment - no chatline (except for a newbie tell line in the beginning only usable for asking for help)
-The are no obvious numberstats. Its all verbal clues. Some have attempted to figure out the nuances and break It down into numbers -- but generally you have only titles to show you how big you are, how much you've grown, or other key data points of interest
-Lots of interesting domains (12), guilds and clubs to help build your roleplaying. You can either stay true to one domain or cross-over with a more unique character that might have their occupational guild based in Krynn, but their laymen association in Middle Earth. Allows for some interesting originality in terms of character development.
-Plenty of interesting emotes available, as well as ways to personalize your character in game with tattoos, hair styles, piercings, etc.
-Free Emotes once your character hits 100 days
-300+ quests available for character development
-Free to play! available for character development.
Kitriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcat View Post
Just keep in mind that it's a pay-to-play. The first month is free though! (Also everyone is an anthropomorphic animal person)

The challage is worth the bucks

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spifftastic View Post
Anyone know of a good RP MU* that has a decent population? (minimum 15-20 players).

I've played RP MUSHes pretty much exclusively, and that's what I'm looking for. More of a writing exercise. Light on stats, zero mobs. I used to play Otherspace, and while that's a great game, I'm really looking for something different. If you know Otherspace, you know my tastes.

I'm not the biggest fan of World of Darkness, but most everything else is fair game.

Hope I'm not being too picky; and it really looks like the pickings are slim. Am I out of luck?
You are not out of luck if you are looking for a truly deep experience with rich background and story and 150 to 200 players rather than 15 to 20.

I know you seek more a MUSH (deep long emotes and conversations), however, if you really want a game with intrique and politics, death and mayhem, heros and villains, religion and merchantry, you will enjoy New Worlds Ateraan like no other game you've played in your life.

The difficulty for you will be being able to handle the fast/realistic pace while also delving into the depth of roleplay you can get if you are good at what you do and understand the dynamics.

Things you will like:
  • 100 to 200 Players all the time
  • Ships and sea adventure like no other game on the planet
  • Houses, Mansions, and Castles, custom built and modifiable
  • Merchants and Traders who sole guild goal is roleplay, trading, and economics
  • Rich in depth story and the game is based on a novel you can read online
  • Powerful Guilds with a plethora of powers and styles
  • Two very different nations where you can start.
  • Varying starting styles from immigrant to slave to conscript to servant
  • Staff and structure to assist players
  • Adventuring in groups like old D&D with 2 to 50 people going together
Hopefully some of this will intrigue you. If you join the game you may want to go through the tutorial to learn our style of commands and then definately ask for a tour at the end of creation so you can have a hand picked player take you around the town and show you how things work.

Lastly, if you are new to NWA start in the NORTH. The south is very very very difficult.

Good Luck!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
SnowTroll
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 183
SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

The guy asked for a roleplaying MU* (most likely MUSH based on his description), similar to the style of Otherspace, and you people countered with a non-rp-required mud and a hack and shash-heavy rp mud that features one-line uses of the say command and built-in socials as one of its perks? (I like the NewWorlds rp style, but it's clearly not what this guy is looking for. He specifically said light on stats, zero mobs, and preferred mush-style rp.)

I don't have anything that fits the bill, myself. Especially not with a steady population of 15-20 players. I played this nearly-abandoned mud/mush hybrid (Inferno: Shadows of New York) that might have been pretty cool if people actually played it.

I think Echoes of Albion is still kicking, though it also falls short of the 15-20 player range.

Both of the above feature fairly lengthy emotes/poses, and advancement of characters through roleplaying, but they're not zero-mob muds. There's still mechanics and stats, but they're not nearly as relevant as in conventional muds. You can mostly just chat with people all day (if you run into them.)

Last edited by SnowTroll : 05-07-2012 at 10:44 AM.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTroll View Post
The guy asked for a roleplaying MU* (most likely MUSH based on his description), similar to the style of Otherspace, and you people countered with a non-rp-required mud and a hack and shash-heavy rp mud that features one-line uses of the say command and built-in socials as one of its perks? (I like the NewWorlds rp style, but it's clearly not what this guy is looking for. He specifically said light on stats, zero mobs, and preferred mush-style rp.)

I don't have anything that fits the bill, myself. Especially not with a steady population of 15-20 players. I played this nearly-abandoned mud/mush hybrid (Inferno: Shadows of New York) that might have been pretty cool if people actually played it.

I think Echoes of Albion is still kicking, though it also falls short of the 15-20 player range.

Both of the above feature fairly lengthy emotes/poses, and advancement of characters through roleplaying, but they're not zero-mob muds. There's still mechanics and stats, but they're not nearly as relevant as in conventional muds. You can mostly just chat with people all day (if you run into them.)
Seriously ST? You just rip our posts for having mobs, stats and mechanics and you then give two recommendations with all three of those. As for chat with people all day, helllllloooooooo...you can do that on ANY MUD out there. You can sit in a room on any MUD and emote, posture, and chat all day long without meeting a single NPC.

The fact is, if the poster wants serious roleplay and engaging writing excersize where he won't fall asleep of boredom, NWA is the only place to go. Fun, exciting, engaging, serious, in depth roleplaying, with over 100 players all the time. If he wanted to he could put on an entire play in a theater, join a faith with required sermons and engaging roleplay where he could write to his heart's content, join the merchants and design articles and items and roleplay for hours and hours on end without a single moment of combat, or become a reporter in the news and write many articles.

You are required to write a history, engage in guild joining roleplay, engage in immigrancy roleplay, even be part of the justice and try or defend court cases and watch the gruesome death of a guilty person either by hanging or lopping off of the head. He could be a slave or servant in the harsher town of Darmahk and as such all he can do is roleplay and posture and emote, but with an intensity that will have him crying himself to sleep at night.

This is engaging, this is roleplay, this is serious intense fun. This is New Worlds ATERAAN! (Sounding of Drums and Fanfare starts here).
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
SnowTroll
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 183
SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Dude, I like your mud. But this guy is clearly looking for a MUSH. I don't know of any worth a darn, so as a fallback, I listed a couple of RPIs. If this guy showed up on New Worlds trying to get by with 4-6 line descriptive posts like he's probably used to, hoping for a game where levels, stats, and mob slaying didn't matter, he'd be disappointed. You have a great mud with a lot of dedicated players, who very impressively all roleplay and all are on the same page regarding the mud atmosphere. It's great. It's just not the place for someone looking for a traditional prose-oriented rp game in the style of a mush.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Spifftastic
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Spifftastic is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

No need to argue.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I plan to pop by a few of these games to have a look around when I'm not working.

I really am looking for something closer to the MUSH end of the scale, though. I want to get in some writing practice without it feeling like a chore. I've got my eye open. There must be something out there.
Spifftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Ide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 361
Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

There's a new sci-fi mush called Wing Commander: New Horizon that's quite good, but currently it has about 10 players active at any time.

Homepage - Wing Commander: New Horizon MUSH
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Leech
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Posts: 65
Leech is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

While I'm currently out of the action due to finals and a deep lethargy/apathy, The Burning Post II is still active and usually has about ten players on and can get up past fifteen during peak times. Not exactly a large player-base but when you have a text-based gaming community with hundreds of different games, most in various states of permanent beta, and all pulling players to them, I'd say it's decent.

You've probably heard of the Burning Post theme. It's that whole Inquisition storyline, where the church hunts down mages and heretics and you can't take a **** in public without being dubbed a promiscuous cultist. >.> While hyperboles abound and it's too early in the morning to try and 'sell' anything (I have before! There's a forum post somewhere's about here!) you'd be much better off taking a look at the website and seeing if it catches your interest. We've got about... five NPCs in total, none who interact, and a load of casual 2-5 line RP that can reflect, completely, your style.

The Burning Post II

Also, as far as I know Echoes of Albion is abandoned.

(( Mm... The Burning Post does have stats, and skills. Excuse that, but I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. =) ))
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Skywater
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Home MUD: Second Pass MUSH - 2pMUSH.net
Posts: 4
Skywater is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend an RP MU*

Spiff, if you're as open minded as you claim, you'd enjoy our Pern MUSH, I think: 2pMUSH.net.

And like Ide says, I hear good things about the Wing Commander MUSH, though I think we're closer to the population stats you're looking to find.
Skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014