Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
medwom

medwom is on a distinguished road
Medievia - changes and staff overhaul

Last edited by medwom : 02-11-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: no longer associated with medievia, removing all old advertising under my name
medwom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: Medievia - changes and staff overhaul

medievia.com 4000

I might try this out tonight or tomorrow.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
nyanko

Home MUD: Imperian
Home MUD: Alter aeon
nyanko is on a distinguished road

I tried Medievia out. It seems pretty neat. It has a large player base with about 50 or more people on usually. Very sociable crowd once you get past newbie stage and join a clan. It is a huge world with dragons and all sorts of animals. The clans seem to control the land areas and towns. I met a lot of long time loyal players. I'm Sarpho on Medievia. Come and say hi.
nyanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
dark acacia
Banned

It's pretty run-of-the-mill, though the active map and special characters are interesting. You have your trains and practices and your kick and dirt throw skills.

The thing that turned me off from the game is how the quests will reset themselves if you begin a quest and then have to log off. That timer keeps counting down even when you're offline. The quest I was working on was fairly easy but time consuming, and I had to log out in the middle of it to go to work, thinking I could just continue from where I left off when I got back as I had quite a bit of time left. When I came back, completed quest tasks were vanishing because I ran out of time while I was offline. If this can happen for a simple runaround quest, it'll probably happen for much more dangerous or difficult quests too.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

So, to sum up:

* You didn't like some of the ways in which this game was similar to other games you've played.

* You didn't like some of the ways in which it was different from other games you've played.

At this point in time, I think I'm not alone in wondering why you are even bothering to try out games, and even more perplexing, to post your uniformly negative and highly subjective opinions in pretty much every promo thread that comes around.

If you are operating under the belief that you are writing balanced reviews or sharing helpful opinions, just say so and I'm sure a number of people will help disabuse you.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
dark acacia
Banned

I'm honestly just posting first impressions or brief reviews of the games I try.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
one

one is on a distinguished road

I (as a player) think that dark acacia's feedback has been quite informative so far. I couldn't care less about 'balanced' reviews though.

I have a question to medwom. Is Vryce still at the head of Medievia? I don't really want to mess with promotion thread, but last time I heard about this MUD in this context:

So, I hope you understand my hesitation.
one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Jiandi

Jiandi is on a distinguished road

I have completely fell in love with the active map! I don't know how much of a rare feature it is, I don't have much experience in mudding, but I just love it.

I'm liking it so far, even with the very basic class system.

Sadly, though, new players appear to be practically non existant, and in 10 hours of gameplay I haven't yet found anyone with whom to group. From what I've seen, there's always a minimum of 30 people online, but I've felt less lonely elsewhere even with fewer players.
Jiandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Freela

Freela is on a distinguished road

I used to play Medievia. Most of the current players have been there a very long time and are pretty jaded.
Taking the trouble to bond with newbies and mentor them and befriend them in any kind of stable consistent way is practically non-existent.

That being said Medievia has some extremely creative coding that can be a lot of fun PROVIDED you are lucky enough to find an experienced player to take you under their wing. There are a great many fun things that are impossible to do without a group. And most of the cliques are already made and have no interest in helping newbies.
Freela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
plamzi

FWIW, my Diku-derivative game has all those things except wilderness, which is a fairly easy add that I just don't think is right for the game. I know of quite a few other Diku-derivatives that have such enhancements. There doesn't seem to be anything truly groundbreaking on the list.

What do you mean by "they stole the Diku codebase"? Are they claiming that they are running a custom codebase because it's heavily modified? Are they charging money for in-game perks?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I don't think it's unusual for mud owners to have very little idea of what features other muds have had for decades.

That said, from what I understand Medievia does have interesting symbols for its overhead map.

Yes.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Yes. Medievia is a derivative work of Diku, as they didn't do a clean room re-implementation or start from scratch. The owners do not recognize this; they are either flouting it intentionally, or do not understand copyright law well enough to know why it's still a derivative work even after all these years.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
plamzi

It's unfortunate that someone would choose to diminish the value of their own effort this way. Willful ignorance, in this context, is just as contemptible as unapologetic theft.