Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #21
Davairus
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 157
Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Comments removed

Last edited by Davairus : 07-19-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: matter was properly investigated and the MUD was restored
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
DarkOzma
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On Dragonball Evolution
Home MUD: Dragonball Evolution
Posts: 36
DarkOzma is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Just saiyan but your changelogs aren't very detailed or filled with anything of substance. They mainly appear to be bug fixes upon bug fixes(that many bug fixes isn't a good thing because they shouldn't have been made in the first place) and a lot of nonsense like "suck it bug" "hail mary" "bananas" and "herr derr". You can't brag about your change log and bash other coders when your changelogs make you look bad. Honestly, from the looks of your changelogs, your MUD looks to be very unstable and full of bugs.
DarkOzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
dark acacia
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 263
dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_logos View Post
Sure, it could have, but it's not, and that's not an accident. It's a result of consistent, smart, hard work, year in, year out. If a MUD once has a thriving community and now has 10 people on in a good day, there's one place to point the finger: the administration of that MUD.
I think it has more to do with Achaea's premium content than administration. People are less willing to leave and give up whatever money they spent if they've spent it for years on just one game. Besides, Achaea's premium income made it possible for more dedicated (read: paid) staffers to get involved. Not every game followed the same premium content model.

You said yourself that your population is aging. Well, so did all of those fading MUDs which had thriving communities now; their population aged, and their players left because of adult responsibilities. They probably did not feel compelled to remain because of their financial investment in their games if their games had no premium content.

Refresh my memory: is Achaea the MUD where combat is basically a war of scripts and attrition? I remember some game where every player had hammerspace where they stocked a billion status-curing items and pulled them out with a script every time their opponent dealt a bad status effect to them, and the loser was the one who ran out of stuff first.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #24
Davairus
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 157
Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOzma View Post
Just saiyan but your changelogs aren't very detailed or filled with anything of substance. They mainly appear to be bug fixes upon bug fixes(that many bug fixes isn't a good thing because they shouldn't have been made in the first place) and a lot of nonsense like "suck it bug" "hail mary" "bananas" and "herr derr". You can't brag about your change log and bash other coders when your changelogs make you look bad. Honestly, from the looks of your changelogs, your MUD looks to be very unstable and full of bugs.
Git doesn't show larger posts for bigger changelogs, it's just that the number of small commits is larger than the number of large commits. This is a fairly normal looking changelog for a project of this size. Also, your fmud is down and you should fix it. #spoon on quakenet if you need help.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #25
DarkOzma
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On Dragonball Evolution
Home MUD: Dragonball Evolution
Posts: 36
DarkOzma is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

FMUD shutdown a while back and my website admin has been MIA. I really don't care much about my website, it doesn't get DBE new players and it's more work than it's worth. I rather focus on my MUD, not some silly website that isn't needed. I used to care about the website but now it's lost in a sea of google searches that involve the Dragonball Evolution movie. Plus as most players have told me before in the past, they don't play DBE to visit the website, they play DBE to play DBE.

Now you say this changelog is normal for a project of this size but I'm pretty sure my MUD(project) is much bigger than yours and is way more in-depth but the change logs don't look like that at all. DBE's changelogs are filled with actual content and balance changes. Maybe you are doing a lot of cool updates on your MUD but you need to have your changelogs reflect that. Most people who see those changelogs will only notice the rampant bugs, bug fixes and gibberish changes. Even if your most recent change is boring, you should make it at least sound interesting to appeal to a potential new player. I'm not saying you need to add fluff to your change logs or make up lies, but they could use a little more detail and less silly changes that aren't actual changes.
DarkOzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #26
ww_crimson
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Home MUD: Aarchon
Posts: 62
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davairus View Post
Git doesn't show larger posts for bigger changelogs, it's just that the number of small commits is larger than the number of large commits. This is a fairly normal looking changelog for a project of this size. Also, your fmud is down and you should fix it. #spoon on quakenet if you need help.
You know, I spent some time earlier logged into your MUD and found a lot of things I didn't like but I think I'll just summarize my thoughts by saying in my time on this forum you're the most hostile person in this community I've come across. It's unfortunate because this thread is about how MUDs don't have to die. I don't like the pay-to-play model but I have to respect people who are earning a living doing what they love. The folks who play Achaea clearly love it, or it wouldn't be profitable. I hope you change your attitude at some point.
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #27
Davairus
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 157
Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOzma View Post
Most people who see those changelogs will only notice the rampant bugs, bug fixes and gibberish changes. Even if your most recent change is boring, you should make it at least sound interesting to appeal to a potential new player. I'm not saying you need to add fluff to your change logs or make up lies, but they could use a little more detail and less silly changes that aren't actual changes.
Our changes are posted to players the way you described it. They get posted in game and relayed to facebook. That file I shared is not publically linked, and normally sits behind auth.

Last edited by Davairus : 07-19-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: toning this post down because matter was properly investigated and the MUD was restored
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #28
Fifi
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 227
Fifi is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

I read threads like these and remember why I rarely read the posts here. For ****'s sake. You're all adults. Play nice.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
flbellman
New Member
 
flbellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 28
flbellman is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_logos View Post
Sure, it could have, but it's not, and that's not an accident. It's a result of consistent, smart, hard work, year in, year out. If a MUD once has a thriving community and now has 10 people on in a good day, there's one place to point the finger: the administration of that MUD.
I cannot agree more. I tried other MUDs, and I have to say that Achaea staff cares a lot. In my opinion, Achaea is either far better than other MUDs or it matches my RP taste better. This is just my opinion, so please do not feel offended, I respect you all. I try MUDs constantly, as I am very curious about the whole phenomenon. Of course, Achaea has defects - as everything - but it does not matter that much. The IRE community as a whole, staff and players, are very active, super daily active. So there is always something new to discover, to try etc… I am not tied to anyone of the staff, nor I am a volunteer or anything of the sort. I am just being honest, and this is a neutral opinion from and end-user of the product. Sadly, I am the only player in my country, I believe, which is Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark acacia View Post
I agree with dentin's response to this.

Achaea is not going to lose much if it encourages its players, through both the forum and in the game, to go out and try some other MUD. It will do a lot more to help the MUD community than merely bragging about how well your game is doing while others aren't going so well.

It's kind of a slap in the face to struggling MUDs for a game like Achaea to brag that MUDs don't have to die just because Achaea has a big core of regular players. Achaea could just as likely have been one of the many MUDs with once-thriving communities that now have maybe 10 people on during a good day.
Some players tried other MUDs but in the end they did prefer Achaea. I think that the reason for this is its quality. Anyway, the staff is doing everything to improve Achaea, and this stimulates players' support as to content and money. Trust me they react quickly, very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
To me it's fairly sad that someone would rate success on a mud from how much the players pay, rather than from how much they play.
On the contrary, I believe The Logos replied excellently already. Additionally, if the MUD staff need money for coding and such, players should support it. If the players feel cheated by the staff, the players will stop paying, and playing as well. It is a delicate balance that the staff must preserve at all cost, as a matter of survivability.
If Achaea and AArdwolf are doing well, people should start thinking about these MUDs as model to follow, an experiment to learn form, and not to go against.

Finally, getting back to the topic, I have one long-shot analogy that came to my mind, and could be interesting to discuss. "Video killed the radio stars, as graphic games are killing MUDs." i.e. the impact TV had over Radios. However, Radios are still alive, and fairly adapted to this dramatic shift in how content is consumed by the population. Maybe the Admins could think about something to improve their player base somehow. Same could be applied to TV channels vs. Internet.
I do not know, it may be interesting for you or not.
Forgive the wall of text and typos, and/or grammar mistakes.
flbellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
Captive
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Name: Jason
Posts: 7
Captive is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOzma View Post
Just saiyan but your changelogs aren't very detailed or filled with anything of substance. They mainly appear to be bug fixes upon bug fixes(that many bug fixes isn't a good thing because they shouldn't have been made in the first place) and a lot of nonsense like "suck it bug" "hail mary" "bananas" and "herr derr". You can't brag about your change log and bash other coders when your changelogs make you look bad. Honestly, from the looks of your changelogs, your MUD looks to be very unstable and full of bugs.
Maybe this is how the pro engineers in the real business of doing pro engineering stuff track their changes. Perhaps this is what makes them "significantly more qualified than some jackoff 'pro' mud coder"?

Tried that game. Typical stock DIKU with 5 immortals for every player. 15 years old and 50% of the areas are stock. Yet he comes here and blanket criticizes other MUD coders. Lol.
Captive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #31
Lasher
Administrator
 
Lasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Name: Derek
Location: Orlando
Posts: 353
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

There is no evidence that AR cheated the vote, neither this month or last month. This was a massive screw up. More information in this post:

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/mu...html#post51263
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Actually, its how a place treats its players that counts.. Even those who are slow.

Granted, none of us here play at the same speed and level. But to mistreat people because they're slow to grasp how the Game works or are unable to catch a subtile hint directed at them, that, to me at least, is grounds for blasting the MUD from exsistance--or to have it removed from voting consideration here until those responceable for such cruelty have been dealt with.

Playgrounds have rules of conduct. So do MUD's. By proving that, MUD's can thrive, even in this visual age of gamming. If the bullies and other cruel players aren't reigned in and punished, then MUD's will die because such people will constantly turn the majority of interested players away.

That's how I see it.


Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Tristan1992
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Posts: 75
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Come play at GateWay MUD. That's gatewaymud.org 6969 The place is nice and clean. No dirty players mucking things up. No spam, no gossip. Just you. Imagine the bliss of having a whole MUD to yourself.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #34
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

I haven't poked around here in quite a while, and was so surprised at how little has changed!

Matt, would you say that Achaea's record-breaking revenues are enough, that your recent personal success in the face of the death of so many others MUDs is enough, that you will finally be able to pay back all of the BETA testers for Earth Eternal who bought micro-transactions only to have you sell the game to an outside company that then wiped their characters before shutting the game down shortly thereafter?

As always, your ability to con players into shelling out ridiculous sums of money for a Pay-to-Win game, when there have always been better products out there for free is a major reason why MUDs are dying. You've spent years treating games designed by people who put full-time hours into developing them for free, driven only by their own passion, creativity and talent, like competitors. You've used bullying tactics and cash to promote an average, uninspired product at the cost of supporting a struggling community as a whole.

Two things surprise me about the MUDing community, currently:

1) That we (the MUDing Commuity as a whole) are still around at all, despite how far graphical games have come since our inception. That we're still inspired by such a simple interface, as a community. It's an impressive, strange, and beautiful thing.

2) That you (Matt) are still able to make any money at all as a MUD administrator after the way you've treated the larger community and failed so hard financially at reaching for even mediocrity shim-sham. Talking about Earth Eternal again.

I, for one, will not be celebrating your financial success. I, for one, feel that your players deserve better than to be treated like addicted gold-mines personified, even if they do not.

My apologies.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #35
arden
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
arden is on a distinguished road
Re: MUDs Don't Have To Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan1992 View Post
Come play at GateWay MUD. That's gatewaymud.org 6969 The place is nice and clean. No dirty players mucking things up. No spam, no gossip. Just you. Imagine the bliss of having a whole MUD to yourself.
you know what, with that post i might actually come to your mud, simply to be a dirty player mucking it up. MWAHAHA
arden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014