Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
1) Roleplaying discussions. Specifically, I prefer technique-oritented discussions, and dislike rambly things like the neverending stories.
2) How other people have solved difficult problems on their MUD, either coding, administrative, or "cultural".
3) Figuring out what things people want from games. This comes from well-written reviews, advertisements, and general discussion.

Dislikes:
1) Far too many threads here are back-and-forth flaming.
2) Off-topic rambling. I come to TMS to read about MUDs, and not "D00d, what sk8ers roxxor your boxxors?" type posts.
3) People who come here for very basic coding/admin questions. There are a lot of topics where I read them and say "If no one on your staff knows that, you should probably accept that running a MUD is slightly beyond you at this point, and join an established project to get useful experience instead, rather than burn yourself out reinventing the wheel."
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:23 AM   #3
crymerci

crymerci is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to crymerci Send a message via Yahoo to crymerci
I just thought the contrast above was striking. I felt that was a mild flame itself. Here's why:

I think it's perfectly valid to come here for starting advice on basic stuff. Recall that not everyone here is a MUD admin, some of the forum members are players with no admin/coding experience. Other people have incredible, original ideas that just don't fit the theme of the MUD they play/work on. It might not always be prudent to ask around on a MUD you play or imm on, for advice in starting your own MUD. It can be construed as a criticism of the game you're currently involved with. Other people start up MUDs for themselves and a few friends to play on, then need advice when they decide to open up to the public. I suppose it boils down to the old "there are no stupid questions".

Now, your suggestion of joining an established project is good, IMO, and contructive. But the rest of the tone of that snippet seemed kind of condescending and belittling.
crymerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
I enjoy this place primarily for discussions of RP and creation/discussion of new mud ideas, and every now and then for the glimpses into muds I probably wouldn't play because every now and then a perspective alien to my own is interesting and/or useful. I just wish this stuff was discussed more often instead of the threads ending just as they get interesting. I often wait for a week or more before getting responses to anything thoughtful, and that poor guy talking about interactive teacher npc's has yet to get a response.

Unfortunately, a lot of the time this place degenerates into flames and arguments and isn't anything remotely resembling productive or even fun. It's entirely possible to ignore the site for months and then come back and everything's exactly the same as it was. Then again, that kinda stuff happens everywhere online, so why expect it to be different here? heh
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
Santrilla

Santrilla is on a distinguished road
Santrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
Question

Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:26 PM   #7
Jehanelin

Jehanelin is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I come here out of habit. Probably searching for the holy grail of perfect 'muddyiness' since I seem to make it a point to read the new reviews.

I usually find something interesting to read in the forums every few days. I lurk most of the time here. But sometimes post on topics based on my limited exposure to mudding. And vote obsessively for reasons of my own. I prefer to lurk at enworld most of the time instead. But every now and then I find a funny post there which I feel the need to share over here especially when there's a crossover of interest.
Jehanelin is offline   Reply With Quote

The Forums - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Other Mud Forums? Delerak Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 05-26-2005 02:10 AM
Add new forums! visko Bugs and Suggestions 3 01-13-2003 05:46 PM
Do you like the new forums? Enzo Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 05-03-2002 05:14 AM
forums? Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 10 04-24-2002 03:05 PM
What about the old forums? funkalicious Bugs and Suggestions 2 04-23-2002 12:52 PM