Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 03-13-2004, 08:27 PM   #21
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #22
Ntanel

Ntanel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Ntanel
Consider this...

Ever hear of the Imaginative Builder's Guild? Ok, if ya have or have not, it does not really matter, was just curious. It may have been relevant here as an example.

My point? Why not start the MSU (Mud Staff Union) back up. It would basically be a web site where contracts are held that programmers, coder, builders, admin and immortals can apply to themselves or MUD's apply to them that could possibly legally binding. It would probably more relevant now than in 1998.

I am still working on legally binding contracts, I will let you know in May if I can etch one out if this topic finds itself still relevant. Contracts require five main bits of info, but I have not perfected it enough for my teacher, who is also a lawyer, to give me a thumbs up. The class ends in May.

Anyways... the site would list contracts for specific positions, listings of union MUDs/resources and union members. It would take me some time, but I can attach it to the Mud Staff Resource Page (). I would prefer base it off Iluvatar's Bill of Rights since it is highly proclaimed as fair and balanced.

Ntanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:08 AM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
(snip rest)

You still seem to be making fun of something completely unrelated to what the rest of us are talking about...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #24
Cypheria

Cypheria is on a distinguished road
Ok ok, lets stay on topic here.

Keeping everyone from coding their own way wouldn't be hard to control. Just put out some guidelines, or have whoever is higher up just go over the code and fix it to the style wanted.

It should also be cross-platform and definitely opensource. Basic 'plugins' would be offered by the team so from square one you can do any of the folowing: RP, H/S, SCI-FI, add religion, add color, add classes, add skill tree, or add races. This is where the ideas become limitless as do the mud possibilities.

With a team ideas that others may not of thought of arise although a simple system of how to deal with the ideas would have to be handled (POLL?) it could just turn out to be something very interesting.

In conclusion yes I understand the problems and some of the past history of people who tried, but it can be worked out learn from their mistaks as well as our own!
Cypheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #25

The basic problem to solve is creating an architecture not content.  All of the above things you list are content and have nothing to do with designing an extensible generic mud pluginable mud server.  The above is not even close to square one, it's square 37.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:18 AM   #26
Kastagaar

Kastagaar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kastagaar
This is a concept I would very much like to see work. It's probably a couple of years of effort at least (from a dedicated team) to get something looking remotely cool, but it could spark the next generation of muds. Muds that interrogate clients about what capabilities they have and arrange their output accordingly. Muds that all support the high end of presentation abilities (MXP, MSP, etc.) as well as some other, long-established protocols (curses has been mentioned a lot recently). Muds that have an established, easy to use, builder's scripting language with plenty of good examples available. Ah, the sky's the limit.

The only problems, as far as I can see, would be coming up with a standard to work to, and getting out of analysis paralysis.
Kastagaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #27
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Well, despite a lot of name-calling and bad blood that I've seen in the past, I think we all can thumb through the user list of this site and pick out say 5-10 of the more accomplished (publicly or privately) patrons, and then recommend them as starters for the project. Otherwise, someone else can go form a team and hope for the best as far as quality goes.

Anyone want to raise a hand to go recruit?

*puts hand on the floor*

-Visk
visko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #28
Cypheria

Well why not get a adequate team of coders started and have like 3 people for a head team to oversee the coders incase a ruling is needed. That way if the coders can't agree on something the head team can rule.

I know this is experimental, but if the right people decide to help and people can agree without large arguments this could be something worth while.

Anyone who would like to help or join or has an idea leave a message here or email me and we'll see what we have to work with.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #29

I took the liberty of creating a small site.   If anyone is interested just hop on over to and start writing.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #30
Cypheria

Tyche, I like what you have done to get the ball moving. Now lets hope that people will begin to join!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:17 AM   #31

Thanks.  Which one are you over there?  I haven't had much time to read the various boards.  

Hmm.. This is an added bonus for the mud community and another good reason to join up.  If you can keep me occupied with a big project, then I won't be trolling and terrorizing the various mud forums.  ;-)
Old 03-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #32
Cypheria

I'm just patrolling the boards staying quiet for the time being. It would be nice if some people would begin to volunteer. Though with everyone else nobody wants to do something good for everybody, instead they are worried about themselves and self-image.

I'll keep in touch...
Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 AM   #33

With a few exceptions, it's the shyest group of mud programmers I've ever encountered.  You think maybe I should start hot chatting or stripping for everyone in order to break the ice?  ;-)

My son suggested putting skulls on the front page and embedding some music like Ramstein's "Ich Will" into the front web page.  I thought it was silly, but on second thought...

United Coders - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for coders Tjnet88 MUD Coding 8 02-25-2004 05:50 PM
Looking for Coders kelemvor Advertising for Staff 0 02-04-2004 01:05 AM
Looking for coders xVampLordx MUD Coding 3 09-11-2003 11:50 PM
ROM 2.4 RP Mud has 2 coders, looking for a third! Azeroth Advertising for Staff 0 02-28-2003 02:50 PM
Coders Welcome Keljorian Advertising for Staff 0 01-14-2003 11:31 PM