Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Looking for the Very Best Hack n' Slash

I have been playing alot of RP MUDs lately, but now I am ready to get back to my roots. Before I was playing MUDs, I was playing rougelikes, Nethack, Diablo 1, and the like. I am looking for the very best in Hack n' Slash MUDs. Pure, action packed PvE is what I am after. I am a big fan of quests, if they are well written. I like things like random loot drops, and lots of different gear options with different advantages and disadvantages, not just this gear is better than that because it's +5 instead of +3. I don't want to have to worry too much about eating and drinking while i'm crawling through dungeons smashing baddies. I like running with small groups, classic dnd style. Anyway, there are a lot of H&S muds out there, but I want to see H&S done right. Something that blends the very best elements of nethack and muds.

I like classic dnd style classes, races, and setting, but not necessarily a published dnd world, just your own spin on things. Classless is okay too, especially if it works something like ultima online. I just don't want to have to figure out what classes and races I have never heard of. At least give me a couple standard options like ranger or paladin, so I can get started quickly.

I like MUDs that make liberal use of MXP. If you've got a cool web client, even better. Your help files should be exhaustive. I don't like newbie schools. Just give me a newbie guidebook or something, unless you've got a really cool, interactive intro with mob scripts or something that gets me started on my first quest, and doesn't take too long.

I shouldn't have to read every room description, but at least some of them should be interesting, with stuff in the room descriptions I can LOOK at. I like it when you put some thought into your gear names and descriptions. I like well thought out use of ANSI color. Don't puke color vomit onto my screen, but don't forget I have ANSI either.

I am looking for pure PvE. PvP, if available at all, should be totally optional, like a dueling system or something. Anyway, that is what I am after. So let me know if this sounds like your MUD, and I will come give you a try.
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for the Very Best Hack n' Slash

Given that you like CircleMUDs and great Hack'n'Slash and web apps, why aren't you already playing this?

plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

Js_wilson,

The game you're looking for is Alter Aeon. We're got random equipment, different equipment tiers, instanced areas, character classes that will probably make sense to you, and optional pk. The only thing unusual is the multiclass setup, where the levels in secondary classes unlock spells and skills, but you're not obligated to learn them. It's totally reasonable to concentrate in your primary class, and only pick up utility skills from the secondaries as you need them.

Other things:

- We have a custom client with a mapper and other features on the web site. It's extremely configurable.

- We have one of the most complete and easily searchable help systems out there. There's also a FAQ, a huge archive of articles on the web site, maps on the web site, a forum, a wiki, and knowledgable players on the newbie channel.

- There's no newbie school, rather you're dropped immediately into a 'get your bearings and do something' quest line. I'd recommend going through it up to level 10 or so - it's supposed to be an engaging set of quests and most people find it fun - but if you'd really rather skip, you're not railroaded into it.

- It's fairly safe to explore. Area level are organized by geography, and if you're in the wrong place, you generally know about it before it becomes a problem.

We'd love to see you there!

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road

Yep, GateWay fits that description well. If you like quests you'll love it.

Nethack rules... :-)
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I'll chime in too and say that 4D seems to be exactly what you are looking for.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote