Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
What happened to Legends of Karinth?: kind of lfm post

Just curious; I remember trying them once upon a time and was thinking of trying again, as someone still has the telnet info in their signature on mudconnect. Appears to be down.

And to highjack my own thread, anyone else who does something unique with magic? I only know of three that truly try something different with spells, and that's one of them; do speak up if you know of another besides karenth, aeonian dreams (defunct) or dark legacy (may be headed that way) that do so.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: What happened to Legends of Karinth?: kind of lfm post

The LoK devs shut it down. Too busy and a little burned out I think. I haven't run across a mud like LoK. It had a unique combination of very good code, areas, and staff. Hard to find.

I think there's a FF mud that does magic a little differently. End of Time maybe?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
camlorn

Well, yeah, end of time. final fantasy, and I think a bit of forgotten realms; it's not blind accessible, though they're willing to work on it. I play a few places, and am one of those whom have been called mudhoppers (one who frequently switches muds), though for me it's more of a cycle. Tbh, all the places with good code or original <noun goes here> that can be truely called original are headed for the mud graveyard: wihtout stating names, there's one I like which is still going but without any coder, as the person owning it won't allow anyone access to the source (surprisingly, he's not being unreasonable, there's some sort of backstory), and a few others with admins that seem to have lost interest in one way or another. Upon inquiring in the latter, I always get told (sometimes nicely, sometimes not), that the mud is just a hobby and I'll work on it when I feel like.

In short, was kind of hoping to try karinth again, or to find some other gem I've missed (unfortunately, this isn't likely; even so).
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

I'm curious about your experience with LoK, as its wilderness system doesn't strike me as very blind accessible either.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
camlorn

That's an easy answer; I wasn't aware they had one. It's a little something like this: at the time I tried them, I was looking for something different in a mud. I still believed that because one mud was original, the rest would be, and I left after about 2 days. Obviously, it still left enough of an impression that I remembered the name.

As for wilderness systems in general, there are a variety of approaches; dark legacy has one that has an alternative blind mode. On the other hand, you get batmud, which is fun but a pain; I found a svn repository (now mercury, but all the same) for one of the player created map thingies, which actually had coordinates matching the actual ones ingame; before they introduced the command that showed them ingame, I used a ship with waypoints. And, I think immortals helped create that map, too.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae

has an interesting magic system which I'm still not entirely sure of the specifics of, but I've talked with some Master Scribes in game who use it. It's currently only scroll-based, but requires research and testing, and spells can apparently knock you unconscious if you screw it up. It takes a lot of time and devotion though to work on the skills needed to advance and be able to learn magic. There are miracles used by clerics, which are a bit more prevalent, as well.

They actually made some changes not too long ago to be more blind-friendly as well after getting some input from another blind player.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
camlorn

I've done geas; I actually enjoyed it, somewhat, save the lack of brief, but then managed to completely wreck my rp by eating a humanoid corpse. For those who haven't met me on rpis, which is probably most, I suck at rp, and didn't realize it was, but all the same. Still, geas is fun, yes, and I keep saying I'm going to play there again and never get around to it.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Germilax

Germilax is on a distinguished road

Try Haelrahv. The magic system is very cool there. It is a find a scroll scribe it to your book system. After 40 levels you can begin to overload your spells. Beware though you can blow out your nervous system pretty handily. What I really like about the game is you can hack and slash to gain levels, forage for plants, mine, dance, sing, research or any skill. You do not even have to leave the safety of town if you do not want to. Give it a try.

haelrahv.com

PS: It is not medieval though, it has technology just so you are forewarned. While you can swing a melee weapon all day you can also blast enemies with a shotgun.
Germilax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
camlorn

Thanks, but sorry. I don't play pay to play muds, nor do I play muds which I can't access via telnet; and, that looked like basically yet another iron realms clone anyway. That said, I have nothing against technology or manual combat, just don't like iron realms games or pay to play 9(pay to play is why I'm not even creating an account).
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

Haelrahv is pay to play? That is disappointing to hear. I am not a fan of technology in MUD's but I was planning on trying that one out some day. Scratch that idea I guess. In my opinion the only one I have tried that is worth paying for is DragonRealms.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
camlorn

I'd love to try dragon realms, heh. Unfortunately, no telnet access, which is required, and pay to play as well. Also, I think they have necessary ascii maps, but could be wrong, as I've never logged in. That said, give me telnet access and make it free, and I'd probably log on.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
melopene

melopene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to melopene

I remember meeting a blind player on Karinth years ago during my brief time playing there, and she had a lot of issues with the ASCII map output and methods of travel across huge areas of terrain. Might've even been you.

I get closer and closer to having something original and playable (it's playable, but missing lots of areas), but when it's pretty much just me and RL keeps intervening... well, it's the neverending project.
melopene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Misha Locke
Banned

Name: Anna
Home MUD: dbuniverse.mudhosting.net
Misha Locke is on a distinguished road

Haelrahv is 100% free to play! No extra fees of any kind!

lol'd at their staff application

Would you be willing and able to sign a Non-Compete Agreement (NCA) that specifies under penalty of civil law that you are forbidden to own or work for a competing online gaming product?

Last edited by Misha Locke : 01-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Misha Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road

Hi there, Camlorn!
The MUD I maintain, Arantha, is roleplay-enforced with a custom campaign and mechanics modeled strongly after Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition. While not a new idea, our spell memorization system is strongly rooted with the D&D system - wizards must carry around spellbooks to periodically refresh their spells. Newly learned spells are written within, and if you lose it, you are out of luck and must purchase a new one and re-scribe. Wizards are also VERY weak at low levels, with only a few spells to their name, and suck in combat compared to warriors - but the spells are powerful and must be spent wisely to ensure success in a venture or fight.
Used spell slots are refreshed at 6AM game-time, similar to the 'daily' spell resets in AD&D. This is roughly six times in an RL day, and the wizard must be logged in at this time - spells are a valuable commidity and not to be squandered.
Feel free to log on and take a look, or check out our website - once you create an account on the MUD you can post on our forums. Comments, praise & constructive criticism are welcomed, as are any and all new players!

arantha.net port 4000
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road

Little late to the party (haven't actually checked in on the community for... years?), but that made me feel a little nostalgic. Thanks. I enjoyed working on Karinth and I'm glad it's remembered. 'Twas a good place, to the extent that I've never bothered trying to find a replacement.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote