Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 05-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
<span style='color:yellow'>Threshold, the Golden Age</span> is the most significant and extensive expansion of Threshold RPG since its initial release in June of 1996. Every major game system has been examined at length, redesigned, and improved to make Threshold RPG the future of online role playing.

The expansion is being released in three phases, with the first two phases already complete. A few of the major systems that have been redesigned as part of the Golden Age include:

Religion (expanded and enhanced enormously).

Legal and Justicar Systems.

Advanced AI/Aggro/Hate System that encourages planning and tactical awareness.

Death System with interesting (sometimes surprising) effects that is more heavily integrated into the game world cosmology.

STEA Expansion to provide more frequent player run events and contests.

Party System that promotes and rewards good tactics.

Area, Guild, and Armor rebalancing.

Massive improvements to custom clothing.

World Expansion: Particularly in the Empire of Thrace.

Adventurer Belts and Bloodjewels for advanced character customization.

Changes to the rules to making grouping and questing more flexible.

I would explain in detail but that would make for a novel of a post. More explicit details about the Golden Age expansion can be found here:

http://www.thresholdrpg.com/golden_age.html

If you have played Threshold RPG in the past or if you've never played it, now is a great time to try it out.

For the uninitiated, the basic features of Threshold RPG are:

Required (and enforced) Role Playing.

You must be 18 years or older to play.

Very detailed player run systems including: guilds, clans, common law legal system, exceptionally detailed religions, businesses, and kingdoms.

Constant major world story/plot lines crafted and managed by the admins but the players determine what happens, how they evolve, and how they are resolved.

Extensive guild and race selection.

Huge world with tons of quests, areas to explore, and challenges to overcome.

Emphasis on building and preserving a rich role playing community where players respect each other Out of Character.

In operation since 1996. Extremely stable with top notch hardware and a dedicated MCI/UUnet T1.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Bastien

Bastien is on a distinguished road
You've left out how much does it costs to play Threshold. I remember logging in and playing for awhile, a few months back, but I also remember it being pay to play, which usually turns me off.

I canna remember how much it costs, but if is not much I may recrea and check out your fancy pants new expansion.
Bastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
It was $50 US when I last played and yah, I had the same problem - I wasn't aware of the cost until I'd been playing a while (and left because of it. I'm in debt, sue me d=.)
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:22 AM   #4
Threshold
Legend

I'm sorry you were confused, Geras.

We are listed here (and on any promotional site that allows us to choose what is displayed) as "Pay to Play."

Also, you cannot create a character without being forced to at least open (and hopefully read) the help files that explain our shareware-type cost.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 AM   #5
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
How much does the game cost?

Any why not put a link on your website with the game's prices? Like for example achaea.com has.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Threshold
Legend

I wasn't aware that it was appropriate for someone else to tell me how to market my game or design my web site in the "Advertising for Players" forum. If you think you know a better way to create and market a commercial game, then please do so. As a player, I'd love to have something new to try out.

Our prices are not hidden. You cannot even make a character without having our shareware-style pricing system explained to you and we never list ourselves as anything but a pay-to-play game. Furthermore, with an extremely generous 100+ hour free trial period, there is an enormous amount of content that can be enjoyed for no absolutely cost.

Our web site is located on a different server from the game and we do not have a full time webmaster. Since things change periodically with our flexible (and therefore complex) shareware-type payment system and since we try to "work things out" with people who have trouble affording it (like accepting payment by installments) we feel it would be a liability to maintain separate sets of data and risk inconsistencies. Furthermore, I personally think it makes a web site look a bit tacky.

If we were hiding the fact that Threshold is a commercial game, if we did not specifically list ourselves as "pay-to-play" on gaming sites, or if we called Threshold "free", then I'd understand your concerns. Since we don't do any of those things, I think such comments border on trolling.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Ack Thresh, calm down man. I didn't get a feel of any negative comments there.

I noticed that there is no mention of cost on your website, but as I found your site first on TMS I knew it was pay to play. Before I play any mud I usually glance over their website and ToS there, so that I don't become enthralled with the gaming world or atmosphere and suddenly have to find entertainment elsewhere because $50, #### $10, a month is far out of my range.

Once again, not flaming, or 'trolling', nor do I think anyone else was, just observing and discussing as potential, though slightly impoverished, players.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
Maelgrim

Maelgrim is on a distinguished road
It's not $50 a month, warhound. It's a Registration fee of a compulsory $50. After which, any donations you make are up to you.

The registration rewards system on Threshold, I feel, is one of it's best aspects. You are rewarded with useful, often downright FUN rewards.

That, and all payments are cumulative, so everyone has the chance of obtaining the premium rewards.

As Thresh said. Come have a look, read the file for yourself. Play the game and decide if it's for you. My colleagues and I in the helper team (STEA) will do our best to make it a rewarding and enjoyable experience for you
Maelgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Alas, if there were any possible way for me to get 50$, now, later, or over time, I would probably stop in. As it stands I have a baby on the way, absolutely no money to spare, and no prospect of acquiring the cash.

I like the ideas of Threshold and quest system I saw during my limited time online, but I refuse to get attached only to have to stop, ya know?

Mebbe good ole Aristotle *nudge Thresh* could think of a contest of some sort to offer an extended 'free period' for those of us short on cash, but rich in RP ability and desire. Doubtful, but we can always hope, eh?
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:03 AM   #10
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
Like I said, it was a while ago Aristotle d=. I think you should advertise the cost more as an feature if anything. The cost is reasonable and only up front, and the demo time is long enough for anyone to make an informed decision. It's really not that bad.
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote

Threshold RPG, the Golden Age (expansion) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chiaroscuro: The Expansion Pack Brody Advertising for Players 1 04-08-2007 08:42 AM
How important is the golden cup? Spoke Tavern of the Blue Hand 9 05-08-2006 03:04 PM
InuYasha Galaxy: roleplay expansion Zeno MUD Announcements 1 11-17-2005 07:10 PM
SW:ROE Tatooine expansion Brody Advertising for Players 0 01-10-2003 08:59 PM
Players of Threshold Serrina Tavern of the Blue Hand 14 05-14-2002 09:18 AM