Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Oddeye

Oddeye is on a distinguished road
Looking for a MUD that has a city siege type event

Hey all!

I'm looking for a mud codebase (available for download, not just closed source) that has an event where monsters lay siege to a city and players need to unite to defend it. Preferably one where it doesn't happen 24/7 but rather where monsters build up forces and then attack in waves every few days.

Is there anything like that out there? Or am I the only one who thinks that might be a fun event for a MUD?

If such a thing doesn't exist, is there anything remotely close that may not be too hard to edit/modify/code to make it be what I'd like?
Oddeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a MUD that has a city siege type event

Events like this don't need to be hard coded, they can be scripted really easily, either by making the script load a sufficient number of aggressive and roaming mobs directly, or by making a closed room where the mobs will load, and then start the invasion by just opening an exit from it, so the mobs can pour into the city. A few warning echoes to make it look good can also be handled by the script.

You can either make the script start the invasion automatically at given times, or start it manually, by some imm pushing a button, when they feel the time is ripe for an invasion.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Kereth

Home MUD: www.retromud.org
Kereth is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Looking for a MUD that has a city siege type event

has numerous events with monsters attacking cities, though they only happen periodically, but they do result in players uniting to defend the land under attack. In the case of city raid events (goblin raiders, uruks, kizanki psionics purge, 9-foot killer kangaroos, etc), however, there's not much of a risk of actual loss (at least tactically. Players can, of course, easily be killed), as the various npcs don't actually attack each other, so the event just results in the area being swarmed by hostile monsters until the players can drive them out, but there are also numerous events where player castles come under threat, either from pests which attack the golems, thieves which try to steal their stuff, or armies of undead or gigantic monsters which threaten to damage the castles themselves. These latter events get a great deal of attention as well, especially because if they were ignored, player's valuables might be at stake, though the playerbase has become effecient over time at rallying to defend their own, so significant setbacks are almost unheard of. Other events include wildfires spreading across planets (which players must extinguish before they cause damage), blessings and curses upon various alignments, angels/demons/knights of balance/headless horseman/etc who attack the retroverse, either seeking to kill everyone or just those who are contrary to their alignment (newbies are, fortunately, protected from these events, and their are plenty of ways to take shelter), and many more. They typically run one event each day, though the timing varies, so unless you're logged in all day long, you won't necessarily see all of them run. Still, they're frequent enough to keep things interesting without interfering with normal gameplay too much.
Kereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

You should check out NW sometime. The entire game is based around a kingdom and a southern anarchist whose forces periodically attack the main city. The attacks are very AI as siege engines, waves of massive armies, guards, infiltrators, barricades, assassins, and diplomacy are used extensively.

It is common to have fifty plus players working in various areas in the cities defense fighting in these massive and varying raids. The last invasion was roleplay storyline driven and hundreds of soldiers were involved. The city was nearly overrun if not for the exceptional well planning of the defense.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Oddeye

Can you recommend any (good) codebases that would be easy to script something like this for?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Fizban is on a distinguished road

I believe you asked this a while ago on MudMagic, and if you did (someone did I'm not actually 100% sure if it was you though) I'll suggest tbaMUD, as I did then. The last time you, or someone else posted there I even wrote a script to do it as an example.

Edit: Found the Script:

Last edited by Fizban : 09-22-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Molly

Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

To clarify Fizban's response, tbaMUD is a development of the Circle code.
The DG_scripts that Circle uses are a lot more versatile than Mob_progs, and can be set to do just about anything.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Oddeye

I did but I thought I'd ask around other places too and see if there were any others.

Honestly, I could never get that script to work. I'm really not that familiar with tbaMUD and how to get the triggers to work.