Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Belgarath

MUD Relationships

When I first started playing MUDS I had no intentions of falling in love. That is, until I met Juvia. Her wavy blue hair and sparkling eyes from her description just drew me to her, passionately.

We went hunting together a lot and found our own private tree to hang out in... She was a guildmaster and I a mere apprentice at the time. But then things started to change. She had real life issues and I had gotten myself enemied to her city by accident... She wasn't very sympathetic to me as an enemy... It didn't work out in the end and we separated. But it broke my heart. None of my potions or herbs or spells could ever fix my sour mood after that.

One day I saw her online and saw she was out and not under divine protection... So in my anger I charged in and sicked my entourage of demons on her, slowly draining her mana myself until she begged for mercy... And I gave it to her, by absolving her soul and instakilling her. Justice was served.

Does anyone think I was wrong to kill her like that? I mean... Everyone lashes out when heartbroken. Have you had similar relationships in your MUD? If so... is it still going? Or if not, why? what are your views on having relationships in MUDs? Or MUD sex? Can I see a log? (kidding).
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: MUD Relationships

I think you're mixing IC with OOC and confusing the two. You're also making it confusing to your reader. You say you never had intentions of falling in love when you started playing muds. You - the player - play muds. Do you mean you, the player, fell in love with a character in a fantasy game? Or do you mean your character fell in love with another character? Or do you mean you fell in love with another player, and your character murdered her character because you had issues with her player? Do you know what you mean? You sound like you're even more confused than your post indicates. You might have problems separating real life from fantasy. If you didn't have problems, you wouldn't be asking the question if it was wrong for your character to kill another character because you had your real-life heart broken.

Sounds to me like it's time for you to get away from the computer and experience real life for a few months.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
DarkOzma

Home MUD: Dragonball Evolution
DarkOzma is on a distinguished road

You're 100% right. I would suggest you find a real life girl but I don't see that working out well either. You could try being a little less Twilight weird, for starters get rid of that horrid forum avatar.
DarkOzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure this is the case exactly, but Jazuela is close enough that it should be commented on.

As the Administrator of a popular roleplay enforced game, I find this issue all too often. No one is perfect and roleplaying can be unique to the individual as well as a learned skill, however, one of the most important things to learn as a new serious roleplayer is this: You are not your character and your character is not you.

Being an actor in a textual world of serious roleplay denotes that you take actions only your character would deem appropriate. This may be the reason for Belgarath's confusing post in that he is attempting to write as his character but also elaborate as the player.

Getting back to the title of the OP's post: Mud Relationships. This is normal and happens all the time. The topic could be discussed ad naseam here but I don't think that was the OP's original intent. So to be brief. Keep your IC relationships IC and OOC relationships OOC and you will be happy.

And never forget: You are not your character, your character is not you.

Enjoy!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
beanluc

beanluc is on a distinguished road

It's also not uncommon for someone who's roleplaying a character and finds that their character has developed an antisocial or violent motivation to act on it against another character and then feel guilty as a person about what the person roleplaying the "victim" character might be experiencing.

It's not universal, but it's not uncommon.

From the point of view of the player whose character was backstabbed, attacked, or otherwise "mistreated", yeah, sometimes it stings, but more often it's fun roleplay. Having no enemies is boring roleplay. Let's trust that other player to be able to recognize that it is a game and that they are not their character and that their character is not them. Let's trust that other player to keep IC, IC and to keep OOC, OOC. Maybe you, the player, gave that player a gift by using your character to create conflict in their character's story.

Hell, if you're roleplaying well and seriously, sometimes your character can't NOT kill someone. The subject of the sense of "player guilt" which can come up when they play their character and cause IC trouble for another character was recently discussed on the forums of a RP-enforced game I play. If anyone's interested to see how the players and staff at that game shared their thoughts and feelings about this, ask here, I'll post the link.

Game On!
beanluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
tingonic

tingonic is on a distinguished road

If you're Chaotic Evil, dude, anything goes!
tingonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
IZDemon

Home MUD: Shattered Isles
IZDemon is on a distinguished road

I think we should pump the brakes here. It is my interpretation that the OP is blending real life and the game as a way to be funny. But as to his question, as long as you reacted in a way that fits your characters RP I think you're fine to have responded with violence.
IZDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Elsalvador

Home MUD: www.avalon-rpg.com
Home MUD: Avalon-rpg.com
Home MUD: Avalon-rpg.com
Elsalvador is on a distinguished road

Knowing Belg, it's a perfectly justified IC reaction to the situation.
Elsalvador is offline   Reply With Quote