Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
AlfonzFred

AlfonzFred is on a distinguished road
Experienced Staff Member Looking for Work

Greetings!

I have been playing MUD's for over 15 years now. I've seen great ones and terrible ones.
On several occasions I have been promoted to immortal/dev/wizard what have you, and have held various admin positions.

Recently I have been gone from the MUD community, but I recently decided to pursue a degree in Software Engineering.
As I delved deeper into the programming courses, I started reflecting on those days, now past, where I would wake up to
code for a few hours on an area, play a few, and then rush to work.

By choice, most of my experience is in building, though I nearly always end up placing large blots of code to add depth to my environments.

As an example:

I might create an trash ridden plaza. During further examinations it is revealed you might be
able to search the trash.. which in turn has a random output of over 20 items. You might also discover a hidden
passage, and broken paper machine. The paper machine would offer a few functions delving into prying it apart to get a the last paper inside,
while the passage leads to a hidden questing area that you will be able to get to with ease in the future.

I enjoy adding richness and depth by way of layered content. As a player I was nearly always
disappointed when looking for this in most MUD's, but I greatly enjoyed it when it was found.

I have also served as an administrator of a team of immortals, have been responsible for creating story, mudlib, help docs, recruiting, and much more.

I have some experience in just about every area of importance.

I have some specific criteria I'm looking for in the MUD I'll be working for. This list isn't meant to be offensive, or to belittle anyone's projects.
I am just a bit particular about where I end up, as all too often I have come across MUD's that dissolve with no warning, lack direction, and on
which I seem to be the only person who actually cares about whats going on. I want to find a place where I can work without having to worry
about those factors.

These are my Criteria:

* The MUD must have some activity. Whether this is a small core of 5 players, or a handful of devs
who care about the project, I care not. I just hate to be the only one actually putting effort toward
the project. Far too many MUDs are just thrown up by people who don't have any intention of
giving them direction.

* I am mostly experienced with LPC, so of course I would love to delve back into it. I'm also looking to try a
Java based MUD as I'm currently taking class' for Java. I will consider others. My code brain is adaptable,
but I will need to be able to interface with coding in some aspect to feel a true fit.

* The theme must be unique. I don't want to join a clone or cliche. I'm not genre biased. I can work on a
Sci-fi project as easily as a vampire based world, or a fantasy medieval kingdom. The more complexity and
room for creativity the better! Again this is merely to filter out those MUD's that are basically just mildly
altered stock, and lack real direction.

* Even if you don't feel my criteria fit your MUD I am flexible. Just tell me about your project. This list is
important, but a good project is more so.

I don't feel I'm asking too much, please respond if you would like to speak to me about working on your project.

And thanks for viewing!

Last edited by AlfonzFred : 10-21-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Updating Criteria, rewriting certain sections for clarity.
AlfonzFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Experienced Staff Member Looking for Work

I like the way you think, AlfonzFred, what you describe looks like something I'd do myself. although in my Mud we do a lot of the fancy stuff with DG_scripts, not code.

Regrettably we don't fit your requirements, since we are in modified Circle, and our coder dabbles in lisp.

Still, it's always nice to see an old mudder returning to the father house, especially a fellow builder. who thinks along similar lines.

So I wish you all luck, wherever you end up.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
AlfonzFred

Well, as I said I'm not super picky about the code type. I would prefer Java, but I'm flexible in that area.

I am firm with my other three however.

If your MUD meets those I'd be more than happy to become part of the world.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I think you will find a good home as you seem very experienced. I'm going to tell you the requirements of Ateraan, because I believe you may get the same response from many others. On our game you must be well versed in the game and understand it very well. You must have played at least 3 months and had a roleplay position where the staff can see your experience, knowledge, and commitment level to the game. Our game is very large (always over 100 players) and we have a staff of 5, so it is a process to get on board with the team.

You might have more success with other games, however, keep in mind that most will want you to know the game intimately. That's my two coppers. I wish you luck, I think your skills and experience will grant someone a good fit for you.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
AlfonzFred

I certainly don't mind getting to know the world I join intimately. In fact, I would
consider doing nothing less. How can you create something really special for a MUD
unless you know the background?

I don't really have the free time to join as a player to any MUD however. Well I suppose
I do, but it what I'm looking for is to spend that free time coding. I don't have the time to
do both.

While I appreciate the system of learning that many MUD's (including my favorite Ancient Anguish),
use to be sure of who they are promoting, I'm hoping that my experience will persuade someone to
give me a chance to learn in my way.

As a reference to what I mean.. I would spend nearly all of my time reading mudlib, speaking to players,
and exploring. Talking to other immortals, and asking questions. It's surprising how fast you can absorb
knowledge if you're after it.

During this time of learning I would also like to be an immortal however. As every mud seems to have
its own take on a codebase, I could be absorbing from all directions.

I just feel this method suites me better than some prolonged apprenticeship lasting months, and the end
result would be the same. One can also make the argument that I could also be demoted at any time
should my services not be all they were advertised to be. In which case I would agree and support
that decision.

Your MUD seems to have the staff and player base I'm looking for, if you decide in the future to allow
candidates like myself, please advise!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Viriato

Home MUD: Iberia MUD
Viriato is on a distinguished road

Good evening.
If you are still available, please take a look at Iberia MUD. It fits almost all your criteria, and we are in need of a builder.

Thanks in advance, and I hope the project interests you.
Regards,
Viriato

Last edited by Viriato : 07-19-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Viriato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Squeegy

Squeegy is on a distinguished road

If you'd still like to look for more MUDs, tgMUD is a Java-based MUD (run on CoffeeMUD) with heavy customization and bugfixing. We fit every one of your specifications.
Connect: mud.tgchan.org:5555
IRC: #tgmud @ irc.rizon.net
Squeegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

[quote=AlfonzFred;48697]

I don't really have the free time to join as a player to any MUD however. Well I suppose
I do, but it what I'm looking for is to spend that free time coding. I don't have the time to
do both.

A way of dealing with this is to set asside time for play, and set asside time for work. Nobody's going to fault you, unless they're terribly impaticent, if your coding work takes time. And if they raz you as a player whose not really around too much, tell them you're taking the time to do coding for their game. And if they keep at it, call Administration on them.

As Newwords stated, you'll need three months active play in his game before ever being considered for a staffer position there. So, why not take that time to get to know his game?

Then, after the third month start making suggestions concerning what you've exsperienced in those three months of play as part of your staff application with them.

Managing your time should give you ample ability to work code AND enjoy your play.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Not a bad idea for him Darren, but I think there are several responses now for you AlfonzFred and I would first suggest following up on those.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Turxx

Turxx is on a distinguished road

I would love for you to come look at luminarimud, look for me im vaprak, or you can email me directly
Turxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
AlfonzFred

bumpity bump bump!