Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Dianii

Dianii is on a distinguished road
Ok the game i have played for 3 years has closed i now need a new game to play.

I like gemstone type games. i dont wanna play games that have that MUDschool still left in them. I dont want a lot of OOC talk or OOC actions. I like level based games. Dont wanna have to rep my skills to get them better. I work too much and just wanna have fun. It dont need to be too easy but it dont need to be a pain in the butt to play either. Dont want any stock games thats out there I have searched for 2 months goining thru all the Free muds out there and have not found any. I would prefer a newer type MUD that might still be in Beta or even Alpha testing. I would not mind testing a new game. I even like to run player events have played MUD games since 1991 and really enjoy them.

ANYONE HELP ME?

Kristi
Dianii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Clifton

Clifton is on a distinguished road
have you looked at the mud I play? Abandoned Realms? The newbie school is designed by the imps. There's extensive pvp system. also things called surges -- those are cool. shrug, dunno, I like my mud, maybe you woudl too.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
is one possibility. We fit nearly all of your criteria:

Pros:
1) There's no "MUD school" or other stock areas. All of our areas were written expressly for Carrion Fields. (Several are intended to introduce the game, of course.)

2) We're level-based.

3) Skill improvement occurs through logical use, and many veteran players devote very little (or zero) time to deliberately working on them. Most players find that our "learn by doing" system gives them more than sufficient improvement rate during their normal adventuring activities.

4) No OOC talk or OOC actions. We're roleplay-required, not the more watered-down "roleplay encouraged" or "we won't hit you with a stick if you roleplay or anything".

5) We hold player-run events regularly. There's an active cabal organized around this premise, actually.

Cons:
1) We're not new or in testing. Been running continuously since 1994.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
Zion-Altari

Zion-Altari is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zion-Altari Send a message via MSN to Zion-Altari Send a message via Yahoo to Zion-Altari
Have you had a look at perhaps? It fits in with most of what your looking for, if not all.

Akanbar is developed on a purely custom codebase, so has no stock areas, or "Newbie School" to get you started. You go through a short tutorial getting you used to the commands, but thats all there is.

While you might get the occasionall reference to lag here or there, Akanbar is on the whole, a purely IC game, and while roleplay isn't completly mandatory, it is required 95% of the time.

This is the only problem with it I could see. While Akanbar does have a leveling system, it doesn't place much empahsis on it, though it does give you higer skills. The main emphasis is placed on player skill, rather then aqquired character skills

Akanbar present a nice challenge in finding and completing quests, though it's all possible, and plenty of people around to help you out if you get stuck.

As I said before, Akanbar is a fully custom MUD, and has NO stock areas what so ever.

While we're not in beta testing, we've only just come out of that phase within the last few months, and still have a medium sized player base.

Mosts events are run by the immortals from my experience, but they're always on the lookout for more ideas, and I'm sure would be accomdating for you to run some things perhaps.

So yeah, come give Akanbar a try. It might not be completly everything your looking for, but it should be more then enough.
Zion-Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
You might give Unwritten Legends a try.

I don't suggest UL to every person looking for a new game, but it does sound like your criteria are similar to what UL offers.

Ex Gemstone players are often found in UL because of the similar syntax.

There's nothing stock about the game.

OOC is not allowed except for certain optional discussion channels you can turn on or off. Roleplaying is mandatory.

The only fly in the ointment for you that I can see is that skills are raised by repping. However, this is likely to change, as the leveling and training systems are currently being discussed by players and staff for a new model. All reasonable suggestions are being considered, so you can add your voice if you like.

UL is not new, but has been in extended testing and polishing before it goes mainstream. The players have more voice in the formation of this game than I have seen anywhere else.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
zombiedepot

zombiedepot is on a distinguished road
I suggest , it's free (kind of), and made by a former Simutronics employee, so it's very close to Gemstone and all that.
zombiedepot is offline   Reply With Quote

MUD game - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medievia just AS A GAME marzzbar Tavern of the Blue Hand 75 08-03-2006 01:55 PM
Looking For a Game Wik Advertising for Players 28 06-29-2005 09:47 PM
A new game to try out Ivalaine Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 07-24-2004 03:26 AM
Game Searching... Omegadawn Advertising for Players 3 05-28-2003 04:08 PM
The Name Game Loremaster Advertising for Players 7 01-12-2003 03:00 PM