Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Xine

Xine is on a distinguished road
Frustrations!!

Hey,

I'm still pretty much MUDless and its very frustrating. I have tried almost every MUD there is, it seems like. All be it, maybe I was too impatient and I moved on too quickly, that's probably the case, I'm just having a REALLY hard time sticking to one place. Please, tell me why it would be best to stick around in YOUR MUD.

I prefer roleplay in a MUD, I don't like RPI I've come to find out. I like some crafting or something like that, other than just Hack N Slash to gain XP. I would prefer a unique skill system other than the traditional "practice" "train" route. Maybe that's a lot to ask for and over all I think the crafting/something else to do is most important out of those. But it must have some roleplay. If your MUD fits those somewhat, please, tell me why I should play and stick around. Thanks!
Xine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Xine

Re: Frustrations!!

Sorry I didn't mean to post it twice!

**MUD must be Free** is why this ended up being posted twice, I went to put that in and then forgot I hit the send button ... oops
Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road

The question I have is whether you like having crafting, etc. side systems as enjoyable play, or whether this was more because of the dislike of having combat as the sole XP generator.

If the latter, you could give the MUSH/MUX side of the gaming family a try. Most are very much more oriented to RP without a combat XP system (and thus, usually no farming for XP). Most use either GM awards, player voting, or time-based system for advancement.

Genre is far more important than features in these, so I won't give any specific recommendations. FYI, TMS seems to get less MUSH/MUX listings than TMC.

Also, there seems to be few (to maybe almost none) of these that charge, or even take donations.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Xine

That sounds like something I might enjoy. My first MUD had a sort of "timed advancement" thing that I really liked but it wasn't completely just that. I like to craft even if it doesn't produce XP too, I just like to do something other than killing all the time. I will look into MUSHes a bit then, thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Not one to post "come play our game" ( ), a lot, and our player base numbers would certainly bear that out...

But if you like to craft, and do not mind a game in perpetual-alpha, drop on by. If you have questions there (that are not answered by the help system) drop a message on the forums and it will usually be answered the same day.

I would recommend the Artisan class. They can eventually have all of the crafting skills and they gain experience for the gathering (foraging, wood chopping, mining, etc.) and crafting skills. They are also the only class that can "build" the homes and clan halls for people (using construction, masonry, lock smithing, etc.) They are not cut out for combat, but can be fun for those that like to create items.

Other classes can get some crafting skills, and if you start as a human, elf or half-elf (which would start you in Trials Encampment) head west into the training hall and up. A few books there you can "study" to learn weapon smithing, leather working and tailoring (get <book-name> bookshelf, study <book-name>). Artisans are not affected by those books.

Totally free. Role-play Expected, but not pushy.

Always looking for new ideas, because I love to code (been coding timed non-auto combat this month).

Address: throes.slayn.net
Port: 1200
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Xine

Hey there

I had actually tried your MUD very briefly before. The main reason was... I don't know if you know this or not, but on my client when I sign in and get into the game there is tons of coding stuff all around the rooms names and stuff. I had a problem with that because I'm kind of picky about the MUD looking clean cause it helps for the atmosphere. But today I tried it again and I decided to look on the site for a client, which you do have, and it doesn't happen there. I'm using MUSHclient by the way. I'm not sure if it happens on every client. But I'm going to try it out again, thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Those are MXP Tags, most likely. I removed the image tags a while back, and added the missing pieces of code to make it work to specifications (which are beyond the listed specifications..., thank the coding gods for Gammon's forums).

If you have trouble with the MXP, or wish not to see it, type NOMXP and they will go away.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote