Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
DarkIsles

DarkIsles is on a distinguished road
Post A Very Strict RP Enforced Mud

Dark Isles is a strict roleplay enforced mud.

What does this mean?
We require you to be In Character at any point that you are in the IC game world and we actively enforce this. Though to be honest, because our players have grown in that environment, and the tutorial is pretty explict about our stance regarding this it is rare that we ever have to.

We do have OOC channels, and we have found that they help to foster a warm welcoming and helpful community of players. Also because of our code base and unique setting, we find that the newbie channel is very necessary for asking and answering questions. However, there are strict rules in place stating that only OOC conversations can happen on these out of character channels. And again, we actively enforce this.

What do we do to help with this?
Where possible we avoid numbers to describe things but rather use meaningful word values. So instead of 20% health, you might see 'injured'. Instead of 40 strength, you might see 'gifted' strength.

We have a fairly unique and detailed world. We provide a short summary of the main information you need to play on the website and plan on providing more detail on the wiki.

We provide a number of commands to help with the development of your characters ICly, and our code base is focused on this.

Roleplay Features:

Emotes:

Poses:

Thinks:

Prays:

The above is just a small sample of the many commands and features we have in place to provide support for your story telling and character development. And we have a lot more in the works! If this is something you're after, then I welcome you to try out Dark Isles: Website: Telnet: dark-isles.com 8000
DarkIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: A Very Strict RP Enforced Mud

The above gave me a bit of pause. If "thinks" give an insight to staff, that means that staff must get to see them. When? All the time? Only when there is a staff member in the room?
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
DarkIsles

Staff have a log channel for thinks that they can turn on and off. So, they can choose to watch them or not. The use of the think command is optional but our players tend to like to use it quite often to flesh out their character and enjoy the role-play that can result from it.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
Pookie

Pookie is on a distinguished road

Having played for a decent amount of time, I can attest that RP is strictly enforced. And while it isn't for everyone. I find it extremely enjoyable.

It was alot like GURPS, which was exactly what I was looking for.
As biased as I am, I want to give a balanced review for the interested player
So here we go

Pros:Cons:Overall: I do love this game, and the good points far outweigh the cons for me.

Score: 87/100

That's a B+, I think, which I would have been happy with at high school, but that's a different story >o>
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Leech

Name: John
Home MUD: The Inquisition: Legacy
Leech is on a distinguished road

Updates:

After an excursion made by the honorable Aanson Doraster, and fellow companions, the Western Forest has been for the most part cleansed of the demon scourge. It is now safe to travel there, although the ocassional grotesque monster can be sighted.

A quality code for items has been implemented. Get some good tools, have some descent knowledge on how to craft, and you're golden! Also, this means that if you have a crappy sword, you're probably not going to fair very well in battle. Rejoice for realism, my friends!

Magic is for the most part, fully-implemented. However, the bugs still need to be worked out.

The Rangers are a lively little organization again, and probably hiring, so there's a goal for you new players if you were looking for one.

-----

So, come to the the haven for roleplay without the mandatory swordplay. (But you -can- :P)
Dark Isles!
*link in first post*
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Leech

(bump)

Updates:

The Honorable Reformed Pirate Captain, Trygon Avoura, has formed a group of men dubbed the Crimson Sky. With a mission statement of justice, they are hiring on criminals who want to turn over a new leaf and citizens of Seahaven who want to help their city with their martial skill.

After assaulting and evading the Captain of the Watch, the heretic Samuein ap Alavon has been announced wanted by the Seahaven Watch and enemy of the Six just gods. May Cymur's light find and remove this new found blemish upon the city.

Not to mention the ever developing stories which twist the city in webs of intrigue and controversy, a number of new coding updates have been implemented. Amongst them, a more refined message system - a number of balances to skills - and a few new skills for the special races.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
DarkIsles

Just a note, we recently moved servers and unfortunately with the move, we had to undergo a port change.

The new connection details for Dark Isles are:

Host: dark-isles.com
Port: 7000
Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Leech

A lot of work has been done lately concerning the magic system, and how spells will be represented and even made, on Dark Isles. It all is pretty cool stuff, and I personally can't wait to see it implemented and used. There's a lot of variety for spells for both good-doers and evil-doers, and I'm very impressed with what the staff have done so far with the system.

A direct quote from one of the staffer's blogs, talking about the features, and a few changes that the staff have decided upon to how it all works...

So if playing a regular citizen, a noble, a blood-drinking Vek, a savage and sometimes tribal Wolfkin, or a mind-reading Dryth wasn't enough for you, now you'll soon be able to be a channeler (mage).

Aside from changes to the magic system, Dark Isles also saw a new area open up. With sea-travel now opening up, people can now make the voyage to Perran, one of the only established Tirrish towns - though a lot of Skrel will be found there as well.

If you've any questions about the world, feel free to log in and ask around or take a peak at the website and wiki. Bear with us, the game is still under development, and the wiki might not have as much information as might be desired, but it's certainly enough to bite your teeth into.

Port: 7000
Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
DarkIsles

The game is now located on port 8500.

Port: 8500