Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Lexel

Lexel is on a distinguished road
Looking For new Mud to Play

The mud I used to play was shut down so I am searching for a new one to play. I played Daedal Macabre
for eight years and loved it so maybe a past player will post and tell me where they migrated too.
Anyways I have looked at every mud in the top 20 and then some. Can't find what I am looking for so far so I am posting in hopes someone can help me. Features I am looking for are.
1. Rom/Duki or custom codebase. With a creation point system so you can pick stats and or skills.
2. 51 or less levels IMO if you can't get it done in 50 levels 50 million wont get it done either.
3. Remort system is fine but no reclass mud where you can get all fighter/mage/cleric/thief skills.
4. Skill/class based.
5. No twink mud IE RP just around PK (dont make me name names here) .
6. Extended race selection maybe 20+ races to pick from.
7. Player crafting/mining/fishing/digging/trade type skills.
8. Quest system of some sort
9. Decent world size 10k + rooms stock or origonial I dont care.
10. Player base can be small just nice and like to have fun.
11. Fantasy/midevil/AD&D type mud is best

Daedal Macabre was this and much more. I know I wont find another mud like it but maybe close will be good enough so thanks in advance for the help.
Lexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking For new Mud to Play

NW doesn't have your exact match, but spend a week or two here and you will likely love it. Here is some details on your questions.

1. Rom/Duki or custom codebase. With a creation point system so you can pick stats and or skills.
System is similar. You have a roll system like D&D and your background and race add or detract from
this.

2. 51 or less levels IMO if you can't get it done in 50 levels 50 million wont get it done either.
Levels range from 1 to 30 (you can go higher than 30, but I doubt you ever will (no one has yet).

3. Remort system is fine but no reclass mud where you can get all fighter/mage/cleric/thief skills.
Yes on this no reclassing to add skills/powers.

4. Skill/class based.
Yes.

Yes.

We run shy of 20 races, check the website.

Crafting, mining, fishing, digging, trades (two guilds dedicated to this) and many more things which I won't tell you else it will give away suprises. I will hint that we have an amazing shipping system.

Yes on quests, but it is roleplayed and no ooc stats on this. In other words, lots of quests, but you won't find a stat list of quests you complete as they are integrated into the rp and storyline.

Yes. All original and large.

Our playerbase is large.

Fantasy

You might try Threshold as well, which also has several features you might enjoy and a large Roleplayable world of high fantasy. They are located at

Good Luck!

Last edited by Newworlds : 04-05-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Ex-D&Der

Home MUD: Forsaken Lands
Ex-D&Der is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are describing Forsaken Lands.

1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check
5. It's a PK-heavy MUD, but role-play is enforced and rewarded, and is often exceptional.
6. Check
7. This is supposed to be in the works but has been on hold for a long time. There is one quest class that has something like this.
8. Check
9. Check
10. Check--smaller than it once was although we are seeking growth.
11. Check

Come check us out!

216.136.9.8:1848
Ex-D&Der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

sounds like it is very well suited to your criterion.

1) Custom Codebase.

2) 30 levels.

3) We don't do remort, but we have specialized sub-classes.

4) We have skills and classes (they are called guilds on Threshold).

5) Not a twink mud. RP is enforced.

6) We do not have 20+ races, but we have 10 that are very developed (some of them are even directly tied into the religion system).

7) We have fishing, digging, tailoring, and a variety of other types of crafting, but no mining and no traditional weapon/armor crafting.

8) Threshold has very detailed, very challenging quests. We also have staff run and developed plot lines.

9) Threshold's world is quite huge and it is 100% original.

10) The player base is very loyal (some have been playing for over 10 years) and the community is excellent. We embrace new members as the vital youth that keeps our community vibrant.

11) Threshold RPG is referred to as "medieval high fantasy."

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Sandra

Home MUD: LegendMUD
Sandra is on a distinguished road

While we don't (yet) have everything you listed, you might still want to come and give LegendMUD a try.

* We're an extremely modified DIKU mud, where you choose your stat order at char creation.

* We have 50 levels.

* We don't have remort, and we don't have classes. What we do have are citizenship quests where you are able to change your hometown should you decide that you dislike where you started from. We also have era abilities for the end-gamers to boost your character even more.

* We don't require RP, but we surely don't mind it. Some of our players RP, some don't.

* We don't have races, however we do have 6 different hometowns to choose from.

* We don't have crafting at this time. However it is in the works.

* Each of our 100+ areas have a minimum of 2 quests. the majority have upwards of 6-12. They range from simple fetch-and-carry to the epic type of quest.

* We are a medium sized world with over 6000 original rooms.

* Our playerbase ranges from 30-45 players at peek. Some of our players have been with us for 14 years!

* Our theme is Mythical history. We've 3 eras -- ancient, medieval and industrial.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
lotusofro

lotusofro is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to 2nd either New Worlds or Threshold for you.

<Snip. Please keep comments on-topic and avoid flaming - Xerihae>

Last edited by Xerihae : 04-09-2008 at 06:32 AM.
lotusofro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

<Snip. Removed quote from deleted post - Xerihae>
Hmmm...

Could come try our game.
Fits:
We have extensive crafting/gathering skills, are a fantasy game, role-play.
Doesn't fit:
Not a DIKU (CoffeeMud based), hardly ever any players on, 200 levels.

, the perpetual alpha-phase game!

Not sure how constructive that is...

Last edited by Xerihae : 04-09-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Smaug

Smaug is on a distinguished road

Play MUME, which stands for: Multi-Users in Middle-Earth

Diku base, but *heavily* modified and also includes a custom language for non-c-extensions which is called mudlle.

100 Levels, but levels after 25 are just 1/10th of a "real" level, so it comes down to like 37 real-levels or so (some 7 characters so far hit the 100, so do not count you'll do that soon ).

You'll not be able to play a "I have everything-character". You CAN prac whatever you wants, but the pracs you have influence the "pureness" of the your class. So, you can prac what you want but you should not do it. No Jack-of-all-trades here.
Stick mostly to a class, that's what you asked for, no?

4. Skill/class based.
Yes. Skill and class based, your skills determine your class (so you are not actually be forced into some pattern).

Roleplay is encouraged, but not enforced. If you do not want to RP you do not have to. MUME has an active base of PKers and is very PK-heavy.

Sorry, not that much races, but... you'll find it entertaining non-the-less. Oh, and trolls even have real-death if they walk in the sun at day, for those who like the extra-thrill.

You can fish and in certain spots you can mine. The rest is sadly not developed.

There are a lot of quests you can do, smaller and also bigger ones (as the one that lets you face the Balrog in Moria, known from books and movies).

10k rooms? More than the double of that are open in MUME! All oroginal and customly created, btw.

Not as big as it was (you know, when the movies came out), but still active and you surely can meet a lot of people to have fun.
In general, MUME usually has some 30 to 60 players, nearly never below 20, in top times nearing 100. With players, I mean "players" which excludes wizards & builders.

"Tolkien" and "Lord of the Rings" rings a bell? Yep, exactly The Source that "inspired" (a)D&D and basically everything else.

Apart from that, MUME also offers a bunch of things you did not mention here. You seem like someone who does not want a sissy-game and you won't get it. There's just one disadvantage(?) that I'd like to point out as well: The learning curve is quite steep. But if you manage to find your way around, you'll have a lot of fun on that game! It surely is a very interesting experience, the game is around since '93 and currently it seems as if MUME won't face the fate of being shut down in the years that are to come.

mume.org
as soon as you have a character, you can visit the forum at mume.org/forum and ask all the questions you want to ask.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
anja

anja is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Adventures Unlimited (Tharel.net) isn't an exact match but it has many of the features you list. Some I confess I don't know.
1. yes
2. 100 to hero
3. no Remort (as I understand it)
4. yes
5. This one I don't understand so I can't say
6. 16 races
7. yes and increasing
8. yes
9. yes
10. absolutely
11. yes

We'd love to see you there!