Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 04-30-2002, 02:13 AM   #1
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
funkalicious

funkalicious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to funkalicious Send a message via MSN to funkalicious
Oh yeah! And hey...I'm gunna make my mud able to equip mobs! And maybe a lazy sword that yells, "I dont want to wake up today, adventurer!" Seriously, talking objects sound kinda silly. Imagine walking into a room as a shield and somebody picking you up and taking you into battle and then junking you. Not fun! Or maybe I've gotten you wrong and you mean somethig totalle different?
funkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

That sounds like alot of fun. Imagine a virus that infects souls, forcing them to wander the earth until they find an inanimate object to possess. Then this object inherits the behaviour of the infected soul -- perhaps players would be accosted by the aggressive bodyparts of a fallen enemy, or your sword might suddenly jump out of your hands and hop away, only to use it's pointed edge to infect more souls.

funkalicious: I think that'd be great fun! Say you walk into the room as a shield. And someone picks you up and takes you into battle. Just as the wayward adventurer engages a group of aggressive mobs, you leap out of his hands and hop away!

But one would expect soul-possessed objects to be more powerful than regular objects, making it worthwhile to seek out people of these races and forge a symbiosis. It could be like battling with a group, only with one person. Like Voltron.

I think such a thing would be pushing the limits of the multiple-type system that most muds use. That's why I advocate a single object-type system =).
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Sevoric

Sevoric is on a distinguished road
A shield hopping out of someones hand in battle..I swear that wasnt me!
Sevoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
as for that to be a race thats is a new idea as for mages putting souls into objects thats an old idea that you ripped off from ad&d, its called ego weaopns or golems.....
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Yui Unifex

Question

Wait a minute. Just because an idea appeared somewhere 'first' doesn't mean that it was 'ripped off' when someone else has it. Further, that doesn't preclude discussion on the idea, nor does it incite silly statements that it was most certainly ripped off from one source.

Ideas are ideas. What matters is that they are in front of us right now. You could have made a useful contribution by possibly outlining how AD&D handles their golems or ego weapons -- I, for one, have never played AD&D and so I do not know how it is done in that system.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:17 PM   #7
Xanferious

alright, im sorry , Yui.. you have a vailid point which i understand but maybei should have said something differnt. but yes ad&d has Ego weapons and golems that have souls within them , they can move speak and have special powers.
im very shocked that you never heard of ad&d , they even made a movie of it.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:45 PM   #8
Yui Unifex

No, of course I've heard of AD&D ;). I've also seen the godawful movie. But I've never played it, and thus am not aware of many of its intricacies, including animated objects.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:05 PM   #9
Xanferious

ahh alright. yeah the ad&d movie was a B rated movie.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #10
funkalicious

funkalicious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to funkalicious Send a message via MSN to funkalicious
talk about it
funkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Funkalicious, can you explain the purpose of your sig?

Is it something along the lines of "look at me drinking a beer... I'm cool"?

Is so, are you aware that millions (if not billions) of bottles of beer are consumed per year? It is not really much of an accomplishment.

Or am I misinterpreting it?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:31 PM   #12
SyNo

SyNo is on a distinguished road
Hence the need for a flame board. ooh shnappy shnappy.
I figured flaming would be above someone like you Aristotle.
SyNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 06:36 AM   #13
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I'm not trying to flame the guy. I am just wondering why someone would make an avatar graphic of themself drinking a beer in what appears to be a college dorm room/cheap apartment environment.

Making an avatar graphic and taking the time to upload it here implies it was done for a purpose. I'm just wondering what it was.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:36 AM   #14
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Golems were not "invented" by D&D, they come from Hebrew folklore. The idea of trapping a soul in an object (or having intelligent objects) comes from real-world mythology as well. The concept of "ego objects" has been used in fantasy literature that predates D&D, as well, such as Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melniboné", or J. R. R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings".

I'm very shocked that you never heard of Lord of the Rings, they even made a movie of it.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:17 AM   #15
Yui Unifex

Question

It's quite common in the Japanese Shinto religion.  Every time you see rocks or areas sectioned-off with ropes around them, or objects with oblong papers with a few (usually Chinese) characters written on them, there's a superstitious belief that a spirit or soul is trapped inside.

But I have to ask, what is an "ego object"?  A google search is of little help.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:21 AM   #16
KaVir
Legend

"Ego" as in "personality" - thus the two examples I gave earlier. If you're familiar with Lord of the Rings, you may have heard this passage before: "But the Ring had a will of its own, and a way of slipping from one hand to be found by another, so that it might at last get back to its master." Here's a quote from from the other book I mentioned: "Elric lifted the huge blade easily and turned it this way and that, admiring its alien beauty. 'Stormbringer,' he said . . . . it was suddenly as if he had been born again and that this runesword was born with him. It was if they had never been separate. 'Stormbringer.' And the sword moaned sweetly and settled even more smoothly into his grasp".

I'm sure you're familiar with the One Ring, but I'll elaborate a little on Stormbringer, as it's not so well known. Elric is a powerful sorcerer, but is physically weak through an illness - he requires drugs in order to be strong enough to walk. However he is given a sword - Stormbringer - by a Chaos God in return for certain services. Stormbringer doesn't talk or anything like that, but it has a certain personality of its own. It loves killing - particularly those who Elric is fond of - and can make animal-like noises when pleased or angry. It is able to guide his hand both in and out of combat, and when it kills it drains the souls of its victims, transferring some of that strength to Elric, making him almost unbeatable (in one book he takes on an entire army, and is only captured when he slips on the pile of bodies surrounding him). When thrown away, the sword returns to him - and when his friends are nearby, it seems to turn in his hand, striking them down (it kills his fiance and several of his close friends in this way).
Old 05-02-2002, 11:12 AM   #17
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:36 AM   #18
KaVir
Legend

You might also want to check out the Demons in GodWars - they are able to transform themselves into rather good weapons. While in weapon form they can also jump into (or out of) peoples hands, and cast spells.

It was quite amusing when they were first introduced - I was playtesting a demon and helping a newbie, by casting spells on his opponents and healing him (as a sword). Another player saw this and decided that he just HAD to have that wonderful new weapon, so he killed the newbie. He was rather surprised when the sword then jumped out of the newbie's corpse, transformed into a huge demon, hacked him up, then transformed back into a sword and leapt back into the corpse!

Once people got used to them, they worked fairly well. It was a power that wouldn't be used often - but occasionally a powerful demon PC would bully weaker demons into acting as his weapons for a particularly dangerous fight.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:32 AM   #19
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:53 AM   #20
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote

Animated objects - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Objects saving through copyover Jaegar MUD Coding 3 09-08-2004 08:23 AM
Looking for animated images? Jaewyn MUD and RPG Webmasters 0 06-18-2004 09:36 PM
Guidelines for rooms/objects/MOBs etc Taniquetil MUD Builders and Areas 7 04-26-2003 06:26 AM
Game balance: limits on mobs and objects Aloysius MUD Builders and Areas 6 08-04-2002 04:03 AM
problems with smaug 1.4 objects Shao_Long MUD Builders and Areas 5 07-05-2002 01:16 PM